• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Unobtanium spare parts

Hello, I am a new member of NSX Prime. I recently started to do my research on the first gen NSX in hopes of buying the car and shipping it within a year. I would like to ask the community about spare parts that are incredibly difficult to get and avoid car offers that has them damaged.

OEM Windshield is expensive, it's still available, but may take a long time to actually get. It's expensive to ship because of it's size and how fragile it is. Acurapartsforless.com list it as $1800 local pick up only. It's like $2600 retail at the dealer. In the States aftermarket windshield is pretty cheap (Safelite $400?). The rear hatch glass is also hard to find, but I imagine most cars you'll find won't have any damage to the rear glass.

I don't believe the OEM radio is fixable and it's very expensive to replace with a new OEM one ($2700?). Dead radios are pretty common as the cars are all pretty old now. If you want OEM then make sure it works. There are good aftermarket OEM looking options though (Willmans, SOS, etc).

For the body the front fenders, rear quarter panels, and bumpers are still available though shipping times maybe slow. The hood, doors, and maybe trunk are going to be hard to find new and expensive. So keep that in mind if you find a car with some body damage.

Spark plug coils are difficult to find. It's not impossible, but it will take some hunting and waiting.

Water from washing or rain will slide down the rear glass hatch. The water enters through the rear vent and land on top of the rear facing valve covers. If the gaskets are bad, water can enter and sit around the coils. Mine had rust problems and caused some misfires.

>You can get a full set of 95+ coils

@MotorMouth93 Do those coils require a taller coil cover? If so, they appear to be NLA.

I have a taller cover I was considering scanning and CNC'ing but it won't be cheap.

(I just seem to never get around to the projects that I want to do...instead, I'm doing construction and building maintenance.)

>You can get a full set of 95+ coils

@MotorMouth93 Do those coils require a taller coil cover? If so, they appear to be NLA.

I have a taller cover I was considering scanning and CNC'ing but it won't be cheap.

(I just seem to never get around to the projects that I want to do...instead, I'm doing construction and building maintenance.)
If your NSX is right hand drive, please do not get those 95+ coils from Acura. They will not work.

The NSX is (unfortunately) becoming a collector car. Part of that transition is Honda making the choice to discontinue certain parts, and it means that we must come to terms with not everything being available at the Acura parts counter.

But the situation is still really good! The NSX is still the most well known halo car of the brand, so Honda has been slow to cease production of necessary parts. We have strong vendors (SOS, Mita, others) who are making investments on improving the OEM parts.

The community is great as well. There is an absurdly high number of engineers, racers, and, creators who continue to expand our knowledge about how to maintain these cars and drive down the cost of ownership. Examples that have occurred since I got my car in 2016:

-The S2000 ABS modulator as a replacement for the original boat anchor
-Heineken's ability to service the OEM radio, along with instructions here on Prime
-The group effort to crack the ECU and allow for tuning using OE components
-Multiple well-documented gearbox rebuilds right here on Prime
EDIT: Cause I forgot some:
-Mita Motorsports improved reproductions of the door liners, type-r short shift kit, door shash covers and defrost panel
-T3tec's teflon window guide rails, cylinder head gaskets and pulley covers
-SOS's launch of an updated supercharger, and continued support of the original comptech units

So don't compare parts availability to a new car. A better comparison is against other aging super cars and exotics from the 80s-90s. I think the NSX, and the community around it, continues to stack up very well.

Last edited:
The NSX is (unfortunately) becoming a collector car. Part of that transition is Honda making the choice to discontinue certain parts, and it means that we must come to terms with not everything being available at the Acura parts counter.

But the situation is still really good! The NSX is still the most well known halo car of the brand, so Honda has been slow to cease production of necessary parts. We have strong vendors (SOS, Mita, others) who are making investments on improving the OEM parts.

The community is great as well. There is an absurdly high number of engineers, racers, and, creators who continue to expand our knowledge about how to maintain these cars and drive down the cost of ownership. Examples that have occurred since I got my car in 2016:

-The S2000 ABS modulator as a replacement for the original boat anchor
-Heineken's ability to service the OEM radio, along with instructions here on Prime
-The group effort to crack the ECU and allow for tuning using OE components
-Multiple well-documented gearbox rebuilds right here on Prime

So don't compare parts availability to a new car. A better comparison is against other aging super cars and exotics from the 80s-90s. I think the NSX, and the community around it, continues to stack up very well.
Can you link to the thread regarding "cracking the ECU for tuning"? Sounds intriguing.

As for OP... I scored and installed a main relay for my 1999 ..direct from Acura dealership this year (even though they can be re-soldered). There are threads where the OG NSX owners list what you should try to horde/stockpile. If Find it, I'll post it. Cheers

looked on line for 95+ oem coils and could only find individual coils for over $160 each
found lots of aftermarket that were cheaper though

I bought my '91 in '93 and sold it a year or so ago because of the potential parts issues.
The lucky buyer got a 100% car. Hope it stays that way for a while.
H-

I forgot you sold...

I bought my '91 in '93 and sold it a year or so ago because of the potential parts issues.
The lucky buyer got a 100% car. Hope it stays that way for a while.
H-
I'm still sad that you sold it. Didn't your car have the Comptech 4.55 gear in it?

looked on line for 95+ oem coils and could only find individual coils for over $160 each
found lots of aftermarket that were cheaper though
Unfortunately it does appear that the 06300-PR7-305 coil kit has been discontinued. The 'too good to be true' price of 6 coils for less than the cost of one coil is now truly too good to be true. It took the guys at Honda a while to figure out that selling six for less than the cost of one was probably a poor business model.

Unfortunately it does appear that the 06300-PR7-305 coil kit has been discontinued. The 'too good to be true' price of 6 coils for less than the cost of one coil is now truly too good to be true. It took the guys at Honda a while to figure out that selling six for less than the cost of one was probably a poor business model.
You can buy the off-brand ones pretty cheap. I almost did it, but then decided on the K-series coils instead since they are a better design from this century lol. But then @MotorMouth93 said the dwell code in the ECU hack isn't right so I'm back at square one!

I'm still sad that you sold it. Didn't your car have the Comptech 4.55 gear in it?
Yep. It did. -- and the Japanese trans gears.
H-

Last edited:
Spark plug coils are difficult to find. It's not impossible, but it will take some hunting and waiting.

Water from washing or rain will slide down the rear glass hatch. The water enters through the rear vent and land on top of the rear facing valve covers. If the gaskets are bad, water can enter and sit around the coils. Mine had rust problems and caused some misfires.
There's a company that makes a kit to help if not completely fix that water issue. I'm sure somebody here will be able to chime in with the name

Back