• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Put up or shut up

OK, who's walking into their local dealership tomorrow and putting down their hard-earned cash?

I've decided to wait, too many unknowns.

Did you have an allocation from a dealer?

Please explain this "dealer allocation" theory to me please. Every new NSX purchase originates online doesn't it? How can they allocate cars to dealers if they have no clue where the orders will be coming from? It appears to me that Honda is giving the prospective buyer the choice of zip code to find the dealer of their choice to complete the buying process.

Hugh,

Acura allocates x number of NSX's to each participating dealer per year.

The dealer I went with received 3.

My understanding is Acura began releasing allocations to dealers today and those folks can immediately place an order for their first car.

Some dealers will have their first allocation released in March.

It is unclear if the second car at a given dealership can be ordered prior to the actual sale of the first car. The basic point I was told is that you can't carry inventory and you need to sell the car you get prior to getting the next one. I would have to believe that to keep the plant running in an orderly manner, they will have to at least take orders for the second cars while the first ones are being built and so on.

- - - Updated - - -

The online thing is just a way for folks (real buyers and folks enjoying another internet experience) to spec a car.

You can send your spec to a local or other dealer and let them know you would like to discuss ordering a car.

You can skip that completely and just go into a dealer.

I saw the NSX kiosk at a local dealer. It is a long black cabinet with an LCD TV, keyboard and mouse on it.

The top drawers contain the paint samples and interior materials samples.

It is essentially the on line tool parked at the dealership.

My understanding is only your allocation gets released, the dealer enters your spec into a separate online tool they have and they collect a deposit equivalent to 10% of the car price (though that may vary_.

OK, here's a hypothetical: Let's say that 15 crack dealers in Fort Lauderdale each configure their cars online and they all choose Rick Case as their preferred dealer and this dealership has an "allocation" of 5 cars. They each send one their errand boys to the dealership with a duffel bag full of cash to pay for the car in full. Starting with crack dealer number 6 onwards will the website tell them to choose another dealer because Rick Case sold his 5 car allocation or will the errand boys with 200K in Benjamins be turned away?

Love the scenario

The configurator to dealer connection is uninformed relative to allocations.

I sent my spec to a bunch of dealers and then made some calls. A couple of the dealers I tried had one to two years of allocations taken (some smaller dealers will only get 2 cars per year). Most that I spoke with are getting 3 or 4. I well informed guy I spoke with a bout a week ago said there will be extra allocations at some point (he didn't know how Acura would determine who will get the extra allocations).

Back