• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2017 NSX instrumented acceleration testing

fastaussie

Suspended
from Motor Trend's November Best Driver's Car issue, at the news stand now...

attachment.php

That's disappointing. Really wanted to see 2.9. For all the talk about sub 3, Acura should have made sure that was doable, even if it meant tweaking the motors for production.

Just got the new road and track and the gt3 rs did 2.9/11.0@129.

The turbo S was 2.5/10.6@130.

That said, the nsx isn't slow by any means. I just wish it was a little faster. 550hp should do it.

Last edited:
yep, a bit surprising. for all the R8 haters, it is spanking the NSX's arse to the tune of a half second to 60 mph, and 7/10th's in the quarter mile with a higher trap speed of 7 miles an hour. and with a higher terminal velocity of 14 mph, the faster the speeds get, the more the R8 will pull away. game over.

the McLaren with less power than either, and rear wheel drive only is impressive. the Audi beats it from a stop with AWD, but the higher trap speed of the 570S suggests that once it's up and running it's accelerating quicker than either of the AWD cars...

attachment.php

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. and the two Porsches are also running all over the NSX.

p.s.s. the Turbo S is a beast!

The NSX is faster than my CTS-V wagon. Yeah, the new NSX is a tick slower than the competition, but I'd still hand around in it.

I'd like to know in a straight line how soon the batteries become just dead weight and stop helping in acceleration. Clearly 600 hp in an r8 is much faster than 573 hp with hybrid motors.

Oh, that's also the first time I've ever seen a Honda with more money in options than an Audi. :)

My biggest complaint with the r8 is it looks too much like the old one. I saw one in the dealership and it took me a while to figure out it was the new one. The rear looks much wider. Sexy.

Last edited:
as for the battery life in the NSX, no idea? above 125 mph, the two front electric motors aren't working at all, so they wouldn't be a draw.

with the R8, the familial resemblance to the old model is absolutely intentional. the first R8 was a massive hit, of course they're going to keep the same lines (ala the 911, all the mid engine Ferrari's, Lambo's, etc.). i can easily tell the two apart, and like the NSX, it looks much better in person. on the road the car grabs your attention immediately.

the R8 isn't my personal favourite Supercar, but there's no denying it's an incredible machine...

The V10 from the R8/Huracan makes a full ~60 whp over the NSX dyno at ~560whp vs ~500 whp. Those 60 whp is the .5 second deficit and larger lead on the 1/4 mile. As I said, there is much more than 40 crank horsepower difference between the two. It's closer to 80 crank hp difference according to the dyno graphs.

yep, a bit surprising. for all the R8 haters, it is spanking the NSX's arse to the tune of a half second to 60 mph, and 7/10th's in the quarter mile with a higher trap speed of 7 miles an hour. and with a higher terminal velocity of 14 mph, the faster the speeds get, the more the R8 will pull away. game over.

the McLaren with less power than either, and rear wheel drive only is impressive. the Audi beats it from a stop with AWD, but the higher trap speed of the 570S suggests that once it's up and running it's accelerating quicker than either of the AWD cars...

attachment.php

- - - Updated - - -

p.s. and the two Porsches are also running all over the NSX.

p.s.s. the Turbo S is a beast!

Nice to see the NSX have great braking numbers - or at least better than the R8

- - - Updated - - -

My biggest complaint with the r8 is it looks too much like the old one. I saw one in the dealership and it took me a while to figure out it was the new one. The rear looks much wider. Sexy.

A would generally agree but I actually think the first gen R8 looks better than the new model. More mid-engined proportions. Better nose.

- - - Updated - - -

The V10 from the R8/Huracan makes a full ~60 whp over the NSX dyno at ~560whp vs ~500 whp. Those 60 whp is the .5 second deficit and larger lead on the 1/4 mile. As I said, there is much more than 40 crank horsepower difference between the two. It's closer to 80 crank hp difference according to the dyno graphs.

The turbocharged approach is going to allow for easy increases. They are going to have no problem being at the very top of their class. Mark my works, the 2018 car is going to get another 50HP from the ICE alone. Where is Audi going to go with the V-10 to amp up the power without hurting engine life? More RPM? Not likely. More Displacement? Doubtful. More Compression? maybe but how much is that going to get them. Honda/Acura is in a very good spot this time.

Last edited:
Did the article indicate if it was an actual production car with US VIN vs one of the many Proto/testers?

yep, that's the category Honda built the car to compete in.

what else are we gonna compare it to?

The base R8 with 540 hp and starting price of $163k USD? (I can't find instrumented/track tests of the base after brief Googling, just the Plus model.)

- - - Updated - - -

Did the article indicate if it was an actual production car with US VIN vs one of the many Proto/testers?

Photo indicates pre-prod, with #0000 chassis no.
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/mcla...end-best-drivers-car/#2017-acura-nsx-engine-2
2017-Acura-NSX-engine.jpg

Last edited:
Nice to see the NSX have great braking numbers - or at least better than the R8

- - - Updated - - -

A would generally agree but I actually think the first gen R8 looks better than the new model. More mid-engined proportions. Better nose.

- - - Updated - - -

The turbocharged approach is going to allow for easy increases. They are going to have no problem being at the very top of their class. Mark my works, the 2018 car is going to get another 50HP from the ICE alone. Where is Audi going to go with the V-10 to amp up the power without hurting engine life? More RPM? Not likely. More Displacement? Doubtful. More Compression? maybe but how much is that going to get them. Honda/Acura is in a very good spot this time.

50hp is wishful thinking. They will be in a good position IF they get another 50hp from the turbocharged engine. The same can be said for all the other competitors with turbocharged engines, however, we all know that is not easily achieved. Take a look at the GTR. It took Nissan 4 years of R&D to increase the hp from 480 to 530. And another 4 years to reach 560. I'm sure Acura has spent a good portion of their development squeezing out every possible hp from the engine.

I would like to see actual 3rd party dynos for production 2017 NSX and GTR. The 500 whp rating was from a Honda source as they dyno all of the NSX to break them in so I'd like to see some real world numbers actually, even if those metrics are parallel to what has occurred so far with benchmarks.

It took Nissan 4 years of R&D to increase the hp from 480 to 530. And another 4 years to reach 560. I'm sure Acura has spent a good portion of their development squeezing out every possible hp from the engine.

It took Nissan 4 years to choose to up the power. It took the aftermarket about two weeks to up the boost from 0.9 to 1.1 bar and stick an exhaust on it going up 115bhp on the process.

50hp is wishful thinking. They will be in a good position IF they get another 50hp from the turbocharged engine. The same can be said for all the other competitors with turbocharged engines, however, we all know that is not easily achieved. Take a look at the GTR. It took Nissan 4 years of R&D to increase the hp from 480 to 530. And another 4 years to reach 560. I'm sure Acura has spent a good portion of their development squeezing out every possible hp from the engine.

http://robbreport.com/automobiles/hennessey-performance-plans-make-2017-acura-nsx-even-more-amazing

50 is not a big deal at all, especially if they went the extra mile in terms of reliability. With nothing more than an ECU tune my RS7 jumped well over 100 HP. Turbo charged engines are easier to extract power from BTW. Boost goes a LLLOOOONNNGGG way. I have only talked to one guy that has looked at the ICE up close and in his opinion they have over-engineered it for the power it puts out. Honestly, I am way more interested in how much more we can get out of the electric system. If that is held back I want to know what the real safe tolerances are.

It took Nissan 4 years to choose to up the power. It took the aftermarket about two weeks to up the boost from 0.9 to 1.1 bar and stick an exhaust on it going up 115bhp on the process.

Of course the aftermarket can boost the hp by a substantial amount. Honda would not do it themselves.

- - - Updated - - -

Again, that's Hennessey, not Honda.

The manufacturers have to weigh performance gains in the context of lifecycle management, and warrantee issues.

The aftermarket space is driven by performance numbers first.

I love reading the BMW forums where posters chip their car and then say it's ok to remove the mods after it blow up so they can claim warrantee. To me, that is just another dishonest turd who can't man up and "own it".

I seem to recall some interviews with NSX Gen 1 engineers who preferred that owners not screw with the drive train. Their goals were more about a long lasting product.

The amount you can gain though has a lot to do with factors like how far you are from the danger zone stock. This is why some cars at stage 1 are hardly any better at all and others become absolute monsters.

I would make the assumption that with all of the QA talk Acura may have stayed quite some distance from the full potential of the NSX just to be 100% sure nothing mechanically would go wrong.

What tuners get out of the NSX will tell us a lot about how close to the line a stock NSX actually is.

Of course the aftermarket can boost the hp by a substantial amount. Honda would not do it themselves.

Again, that's Hennessey, not Honda.

Time will tell. And Hennessy have a good reputation for well considered and engineered kit.

Then there is the electronic powertrain. There are now guys reverse engineering EV systems to experiment with improving performance. For the NSX it won't happen overnight, but given the incremental improvements in battery performance, especially in being able to deliver high burst currents, there's all kinds of possibilities with this car for the future.

Back