• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Running out of gas

For anyone wondering if you can limp along in EV mode for a bit after running out of fuel, you can't.

Also, after adding fuel and firing up the ICE, car throws every single code imaginable. If you leave car "off" for about 10 mins and restart all is well. Just FYI.

From the owner's manual or lesson learned the hard way?

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

How did you run out of gas? Do you track guys use very little fuel for weight saving abilities? Also, that seems rather odd that the electronic motors will not operate without the ICE motor. Does the motor provide any type of cooling for the batteries or something? Seems very strange it couldn't limp on in quiet mode.

Begs the question.. how did you tow it off track?

Front tow hook was in place. They just did a rope tow. No biggie.

How does anyone ever run out of gas on track? Forgot to fill up and focused on diving and didn't notice the low fuel light. Like I said, embarrassing, but not a huge deal. I've done it before (in another car), but it wasn't me driving this time. Just wanted to pass along the "can't limp home" factoid and also "don't panic at the error "christmas tree""

Front tow hook was in place. They just did a rope tow. No biggie.

How does anyone ever run out of gas on track? Forgot to fill up and focused on diving and didn't notice the low fuel light. Like I said, embarrassing, but not a huge deal. I've done it before (in another car), but it wasn't me driving this time. Just wanted to pass along the "can't limp home" factoid and also "don't panic at the error "christmas tree""
Cool man, I wasn't throwing you under a bus. I was more so just asking a question for a guy who never tracked before. Shit happens always. I was just wondering if there was a secret to your craft is all....

Well it's not a full EV car even in quiet mode.

agreed, however still don't understand why the car can't operate for a short period of time with no fuel? When in EV mode the engine completely shuts off and the nsx drives on battery only.

Fuel gauges are pretty useless at the track. Cornering at high forces screws up the fuel level sensors. Most people just get gas at lunchtime, no matter what the fuel gauge says.

You leave the track with the gauge showing half a tank, drive 5 miles on the interstate and then the sensors catch up and start flashing at you like crazy telling you that you're on fumes.

I feel like I'm constantly out of gas with this car. I assume it's my driving style, but jeez. The range says 86 miles, and the gauge shows half full.

I feel like I'm constantly out of gas with this car. I assume it's my driving style, but jeez. The range says 86 miles, and the gauge shows half full.

Ha....that's pretty bad. The only other car I had that got worse mpg than my NSX was my Focus RS. I couldn't get better than 14mpg driving it like an old lady short shifting at 2k rpm. Worse was it only had an 11gal tank. I was always filling it up.

Back