• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I'm sold...

Of course new owners of any marque realize their car will lose value after they drive it off the showroom floor.
And there's always those who will hold off purchasing new and wait until the find a good used depreciated unit to acquire at less cost.

My point is without early adopters stepping up and taking the risk to buy a new NSX (or 918 or?) there will be no depreciated cars available down the road or possibly no cars at all if it doesn't sell and is discontinued.
So rather than tell us how astute you are in waiting for a cheaper NSX or your possible plan to grace another marque with your ownership, how about showing some consideration for those who have bought the new NSX and are (literally) waiting for the paint to dry before you tell them about all the money they will be losing when you show up to buy.

There will be no depreciated cars available if no owner is willing to sell at a depreciated price. There will be no market adjustment if no buyer is willing to pay over MSRP. Supply and deamnd, simple as that.

While no one has a crystal ball in forecasting depreciation, I do believe that it is a legitimate topic of discussion as it directly impacts the overall cost of ownership.

Fairly certain that people here who are purchasing the NSX2 aren't worried about future resale value.

I respectfully disagree. Obviously some owners and perspective owners care, and that's why Esprit9's original comment kinda hit a nerve.

Most financially savvy buyers will take the the overall cost of ownership into consideration. This is not to say that the R8 and 911 don't depreciate. They certainly do and depreciate quite a bit for that matter. But the NSX depreciate curve is more or less of an unknown at this point.

I think similar to McLaren, cars loaded with CF options and expensive rims will suffer a heavier hit than a lightly optioned car.

Limited-production run Porsches and Ferrari's are special cases. In general, cars aren't investments. Best to focus on the smiles and not the IRR.

I'd also be careful with the logic of "lightly-optioned cars depreciate less." Although true in one sense, you need to have a total package that a future buyer will want. Better to buy what will make you happy.

More broadly, I defintely care about resale value in the context of total cost of ownership. For my modeling purposes, I assume that the NSX will be worth between 30% and 50% of MSRP in five years, with the analysis centered on 42.5%. These would be "private party" sales, not dealer trade in. I don't really care if I am off by +/- 10% as long as I am in the ballpark.

Finally, I think it HIGHLY unlikely that you will see a lot of 12 month old NSX's offered at steep discounts off MSRP in a year (even if that discount reflects "true value"). This is an "all new" model. There just won't be that many around and, apart from unexpected financial reverses or deciding that you just hate the car, not that many people would sell after a year irrespective of value.

I agree with Elistan.
I don't think clear wrap does much to stop UV.
A black carbon fiber roof in a 100 degree day is going to get very hot and suspect sun damage is likely.
Does your experience with clear wrap on carbon fiber suggest it will stop the degradation?

ah yea you guys are right. hm.. wonder if there is any products out there that would protect it then

somewhat of an update... after driving the 650s, huracan, r8 TT, 458, 991 gt3. i realized one thing, i needed a manual. Although all cars were amazing in their own way, i just felt like i wasn't really driving a sports car anymore and more like a rocket that is all digital with its fancy opening doors or sharp exotic edged bumpers.

i fell in love with 1 car immediately and bit the bullet :) ive owned a 997.1 GT3 before and i loved that car but since im up at altitude i felt like it was semi lacking power. When driving this machine, i was scared and i loved that thrill especially when throwing the gears.

D74648E5-E83D-4CE4-A568-AF76EFAD9FDE_zpsseymzve0.jpg

E551D627-AB33-40A4-94FB-D80CDD38543C_zpsnebwdc7b.jpg

16D3F8BA-1AB6-4003-9348-3B96480F110D_zpsumwabson.jpg

↑↑↑ GT2 - Good decision....will always be in demand & worth as much, or more than price paid.

Good decision. The GT2 is also an awesome car.

I saw your post over at rennlist, congrats. Gt2 is a beast. Only car ive driven that scared me. Very rare and likely to continue the appreciation curve. Is it 08?

I saw your post over at rennlist, congrats. Gt2 is a beast. Only car ive driven that scared me. Very rare and likely to continue the appreciation curve. Is it 08?

hey osus!

yea its a 08, i love it so much and i had to buy an exhaust/tune for it :) to scare me even more haha

Back