• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Turbo NSX vs. 991 Turbo vs. MP4-12C

GQ NSX

Registered Member
Hi guys,

I am an ex-NSX owner, and I'm looking to maybe get back into one. My old car was a full bolt on, CTSC 1995 NSX.

I understand that my title might make zero sense; especially given the cost differential between the three cars. However, I want to get some perspective from folks here. The key point is that I only have room for one sports car, a weekend driver if you will. Between the three, I am trying to determine value/prestige/performance and potential headache. The NSX I'm looking at is roughly 1/2 the price of the other two cars that I'm looking at (all are used). At the same time, the car is 25 years old, despite having capability of 600 rwhp with its built motor.

I have always been an NSX addict, but I wonder if my nostalgia is still warranted given how fast and relentless these new cars have become. I went to drive the 991 TT and the MP4-12C, and their power and overall drive-ability is insane. With just a tune and basic mods, these cars are approaching 600 whp... all day everyday. The NSX, of course, was never intended to be FI, and having built many fast cars, I know that something tends to always come up or break with these sorts of builds. As my work becomes even more busy, I do want a car that just starts up every time and goes... Since this is just a weekend driver, I wonder if the Porsche 911 turbo, despite being such a beast, will feel boring - especially in sunny so cal where P-cars are ubiquitous. The MP4-12C seems like it would give more sense of occasion with its carbon tub, low/wide stance, etc. OTOH, both cars are "PDK/auto" and thus, maybe will be boring as compared to NSX. However, from a prestige standpoint, I don't think it's even debatable that the new cars crush it by comparison.

I'm going back and forth, and somewhat stuck with what decision to make. I know, I know, do whatever makes you happy - but am I missing something, besides the obvious cost of entry? This particular type of built NSX may be difficult to obtain again in the future... but I'm at the age where kids are on the horizon in a few years, so now I do have a small window to be "dumb" lol :)

I appreciate your conscientious feedback...

An old friend,
Ravi

You already know my stance. I miss my NSX but it cannot compare to the performance of my Gen 5 viper (im sure a 600 rwhp will feel closer). You will feel the same about the other 2 cars you mentioned. I want to add a turbo nsx to the stable one day. At the end of the day, you have to buy what feels right in your gut. Sit in all 3, drive, and you will know what the right car is for you at this point in your life. It's very difficult to find a car that checks ALL the boxes. Since you have already owned a FI NSX, I say go for a new driving experience - never been in an MP4 but I bet it's incredible!

Last edited:
Haha, thanks fellas!

Kenny, I've seen that video and believe that certain aspects are overblown. Moreover, extended warranty can be purchased for the MP4 for a reasonable amount. Z, your point regarding a new driving experience is persuasive. :)

Hard to beat the excitement and entertainment of a turbo NSX, but it will be more of a headache than the other two unless you spend a lot on high quality and well engineered parts with a good tune. A turbo NSX is still one of my all time favorite cars.

In my experience, even no expense spared builds tend to develop issues. This is especially true with regard to cars that have had motors opened, built, etc. my personal experience is with two builds, a 550 rwhp FD, and an 1100rwhp MKIV Supra.

Again, I have nothing but love for the NSX - indeed I keep a 1:18 scale model in my office... but at this phase (given my lack of time), a newer platform is probably warranted. Someday, garage space permitting, I'll add a low mile NSX to my stable. Thanks all, and happy motoring!!

Gq
You do realize you have a current championship winning race car driver, that was a part of racing and developing the current ford gt, that is also a 10 year nsx owner, factor fx nsx time attack turbo nsx fastest lap holder, track instructer, columnist, that has driven more cars then the majority of the public responding to you??

Didn't realize that brotha. That's pretty cool. But the point about reliability is well taken, especially considering my time limitations. Both of the other cars are available under warranty or with warranty through the dealer.

500-550whp has been proven to be reliable when properly built and tuned. There have been cars that have gone over 30K and have done multiple track days, and drag races per year without issue. 550whp in a 13B is far more strung out than in an NSX. Same for an 1100whp Supra.

It's all a trade-off of modern refinement and lack of involvement. It just depends on what you're looking for.

That's fair, but I beg to differ. Reliability is simply going to be unrivaled when comparing an OEM setup with a built motor car (on average). In that sense, reliability is truly a relative term. But, I digress... my intention is not to compare the merits of stock vs. oem, as most of my cars are modified. :)

This was really an illogical comparison for someone that loves the NSX, but maybe it isn't the right time for another one at this moment. I appreciated your input.

You live in SoCal and if you go with a turbo NSX, that means every two years, you will have to convert it back to stock to pass smog/inspection. It can be a hassle.

You can easily get those power numbers (600 whp) out of a 996 or 997 Turbo also, dont feel that you need to spend 991 money to get that power.

Myself, Id either stick with a bolt on NA2 NSX (ie CTSC, suspension, etc..) or Id choose a different car. A fully tuned turbo NSX, while awesome in every way, is likely going to take more tinkering and itll probably have more down time.

When I needed to move from my NSX, I wasnt looking to spend big money like a new 991 TT or a McLaren, but I ended up with a 600+ whp 996TT. Basic bolt ons get you there....Youll save a ton of dough and get the performance you want - it might not have the cache that the other cars do but it has all the performance. Itll probably be the cheapest to own too!

Thanks BioBanker and fastAussie! Really helpful and in tune with what I originally thought. I've decided to pass on the turbo'd NSX for now. Those 996s are definitely a bargain. The later years 997s are pretty expensive, and the 991's have been hit pretty hard from a depreciation standpoint, so it's actually pretty close. I might wait a few weeks to see if there is better inventory for either model nationwide.

I'd buy the 12C because they are more rare and rediculously fast. No aftermarket modes will ever be needed.

how close is the nearest Mclaren dealer for service?

Docjohn - really close by - 15 mins from my office. That's a huge factor.

there you go....

If you have the means, then go with the McLaren! To borrow an old Porsche marketing slogan, "Nothing Else Comes Close"

If it's going to be a weekend only car I would want it to be an occasion
NSX if you like to tinker and want a more raw/mechanical experience
McLaren if you want awesome out of box performance, McLaren experience, a real head turner on the streets
911 Turbo would be the least exciting and exotic to be honest but has seats in the back for kids. I think a 911 Turbo would be better as a DD.
My vote goes for 991.2 GT3 in manual but sounds like you want turbo

If you don't have the extra wrench time and just want to drive & go, then turbo NSX doesn't make sense.

Between the 991T and MP4 it seems like it's a matter of how much wow factor you want and upkeep cost potential. If you want to attract attention, the McLaren is a no brainer. Especially with the dealership right next to your house. Just get a warranty and be done with it.

The 991T I would assume has better resale market and equal driveability. Plus once you get kids you can justify the back seats for something.

I would sell my organs for a Mclaren P1...

Back