• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Does the 2000-2003 6 Spd Tranny Have Problems?

I've got a 92 that I've made a lot of upgrades to. It's a long list (CSC, Brembo BBK, built motor, 2002 facelift etc) and honestly I don't want to add it up, but the car has a lot of sentimental value so it won't be sold. I broke the tranny (snap ring) years ago, and replaced it with a 5 speed with short gears. I love the short gears, but really miss the top end and quiet freeway driving. I could get a 2000-2003 for (new) $5900 shipped. I've heard about bad syncros in that year range. Would this be a bad call to get this tranny? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:
I have never heard of '00 - '03 experiencing bad syncros. I am an original owner of an '02 which recently turned 93k miles. The tranny has been nothing short of tremendous since day 1 when I drove it off of the showroom floor with 32 actual miles.

How can you be missing top end quiet freeway driving if JDM gears don't touch 5th? You never mentioned FD has been changed. Confused.

I'm not sure about the exact years, but there are lots of threads talking about 2002+ having 1-2nd gear grinding usually when cold.

I have a 2000 6 speed. When cold, it is not too hard to screw up the 1-2 shift. When hot, its a delight.

If CSC means a Comptech super charger, something to consider is that the 6 speed gear set fits in the same space as the 5 speed gear set. As a result, the 5 speed gear set probably has slightly higher torque transfer capability than the 6 speed.

Of the less than 2,500 NA2 gearboxed cars produced, I haven't heard a bad word about the 6-speed transmission. In fact, I think that this is one of the triumphs of the car.

Last edited:
How can you be missing top end quiet freeway driving if JDM gears don't touch 5th? You never mentioned FD has been changed. Confused.

I'm assuming they are the same as the JDM gears, but 5th is certainly lower. 65mph equals about 3000 RPM. My Subaru Xrosstrek runs a lower RPM at 80 mph. I was told that it was the short gears (better lower end) when I got the tranny back in 02 or so. I don't know if that's the same as the "JDM" gears.

I'm assuming they are the same as the JDM gears, but 5th is certainly lower. 65mph equals about 3000 RPM. My Subaru Xrosstrek runs a lower RPM at 80 mph. I was told that it was the short gears (better lower end) when I got the tranny back in 02 or so. I don't know if that's the same as the "JDM" gears.
You have non USDM FD.

Yes it's supercharged, and do you mean that the five speed would be stronger? This I have heard, but I don't do a lot of tracking (I've done a driving school or two) and I'm pretty gentle with the car. However I would hate to blow the tranny, but it does seem that there are more than a few supercharged and turbo charged six speeds out there.

I have a 2000 6 speed. When cold, it is not too hard to screw up the 1-2 shift. When hot, its a delight.

If CSC means a Comptech super charger, something to consider is that the 6 speed gear set fits in the same space as the 5 speed gear set. As a result, the 5 speed gear set probably has slightly higher torque transfer capability than the 6 speed.

Yes it's supercharged, and do you mean that the five speed would be stronger? This I have heard, but I don't do a lot of tracking (I've done a driving school or two) and I'm pretty gentle with the car. However I would hate to blow the tranny, but it does seem that there are more than a few supercharged and turbo charged six speeds out there.

as folks are mentioning your 5th gear with the "short" gears is the same as a US 5th gear...the things that affect your rpm at a certain speed are the Ring and pinion and what rear tire size you are using.....so what do you have?

I have a 1992 with the 6spd transmission (installed new, cant remember which version), SOS 275 sport clutch, and clutch damper delete. No boost, only 3.2 headers, high flow cats, and taitec GTLW exhaust. Like many others have said, this is probably the best mod for the car. You get the benefits of the short gears and that extra 6th gear for some fuel-sipping, 2500 rpm crusing (yes mpg stlll matters to me lol). Cant comment on the longevity, as I only have 1000 miles, but no problems thus far. It is kinda of hard to get into 2nd gear from neutral until the transmission is warmed up, but no problems with up shifting (going from 1 to 2) for me. One final comment - if you can get a brand new one for $5900, that is a great deal. I wasnt aware they even had it in stock anymore.

I have a 1992 with the 6spd transmission (installed new, cant remember which version), SOS 275 sport clutch, and clutch damper delete. No boost, only 3.2 headers, high flow cats, and taitec GTLW exhaust. Like many others have said, this is probably the best mod for the car. You get the benefits of the short gears and that extra 6th gear for some fuel-sipping, 2500 rpm crusing (yes mpg stlll matters to me lol). Cant comment on the longevity, as I only have 1000 miles, but no problems thus far. It is kinda of hard to get into 2nd gear from neutral until the transmission is warmed up, but no problems with up shifting (going from 1 to 2) for me. One final comment - if you can get a brand new one for $5900, that is a great deal. I wasnt aware they even had it in stock anymore.

Thanks for the info. It sounds like the six speed would help with the freeway driving and top end. Aside from the syncros when it's cold, there's not a lot of drawback. It may be a little less durable than the five (more and narrower gears to fit in the same space), but I'm not hearing about a lot of failures either. There are just a few sixes left in the US from what I understand.

Thanks for the info. It sounds like the six speed would help with the freeway driving and top end. Aside from the syncros when it's cold, there's not a lot of drawback. It may be a little less durable than the five (more and narrower gears to fit in the same space), but I'm not hearing about a lot of failures either. There are just a few sixes left in the US from what I understand.

If you go to : http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Gear_Ratios you'll see the numbers
Fifth gear in the five speed is .771.
Sixth gear in the six speed is.717.
The US final drive ratio is the same
Theoretically the 6 speed should reduce engine rpm by about 7.5 % at the same highway speed as the 5 speed.

If you go to : http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Gear_Ratios you'll see the numbers
Fifth gear in the five speed is .771.
Sixth gear in the six speed is.717.
The US final drive ratio is the same
Theoretically the 6 speed should reduce engine rpm by about 7.5 % at the same highway speed as the 5 speed.

Thanks for posting the table. It really makes sense now and takes the mystery out of the differences.

What's your power levels to be concerned about durability?
Honestly it's nothing spectacular . I'm projecting around 385-400hp at the wheels. I've got a built motor that's getting a slightly larger CT supercharger. It goes on in a week or two as this project is starting to come together. I just want to make sure I'm not greatly weakening the drive system.

Well I went ahead and pulled the trigger on the six speed. I figure that it will be a nice upgrade to the car, and is something that won't be possible for much longer. I don't think that there are many new six speeds left out there. Thanks everyone for your input and advice on the topic.:smile:

let us know how you like it..

Back