• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Retractable Radio antenna

1006170855_Burst01.jpg

The retractable radio antennas of the 80s and 90s are notoriously POS, and are no longer used. Mine, like most others, has a hard time retracting fully when the radio is turned off. I removed and disassembled the unit and am nearly certain the culprit is the part in the picture. It is the cable coil housing, in the bottom of the retractor, and has a crack in it. You can see it in the picture. I'm pretty sure the tape hangs up on this, causing the clutch to slip and fail to pull the rest of the tape in. If I run the antenna with the housing off, it works perfectly. Of course, the cable is then in the trunk of the car, which isn't particularly a good thing.

I tried pulling the crack together with tape, but there is enough force from the coiling antenna tape to break the repair tape.

This part is probably worth 19 cents, at most, but of course can only be obtained with the entire unit ~$350.00 Now I have that kind of money, but the reason I have it is I wouldn't for a nanosecond consider spending it on this kind of item. So I'm querying all my friends to determine if they have a pile of junk -- or know someone who may have a pile of junk, containing a busted antenna retraction mechanism they would be willing to scavenge for this part. I'll gladly pay for it.

Absent success, this is a prime candidate for 3D printing. Our Denver library even has a free service to print a design on one of their printers. Of course you need to have the software to convert a photograph of the part into a print file -- and that is a real possibility. After all, no job is worth doing if you can't buy a tool!

Any insight will be greatly appreciated.

Mark

Have you tried using plastic repair epoxy? Way more strong than just tape.

To me, the antennae is such an ugly sight. I replaced mine with a stubby and couldn't be more happy with it.

I haven't tried epoxy. The walls are so thin there is no area for a bond, I think. Perhaps tape AND epoxy the tape, however better things are on the horizon.

The Denver Library will 3d print a replacement on Sunday or Monday. I designed a replacement on an internet app, brought it to the library where they perfected the model. My print is in the queue. Cost: $0.00

I'll keep everyone posted as how it works.

When the antenna is up it is indeed ugly. When it is down it doesn't exist. The stubby, to me, is ugly ALL the time. It is simply a matter of taste, and I am looking to stay as original as possible. Thanks for your suggestion.

Mark

Let us know how it turns out. Being in the Dental field, that may be a good candidate for denture resin repair. Methyl methacrylate. It will usually stick to most plastics, or holes can be drilled for retention, and it can be polished. I cant tell you the number of things I have made from denture resin. But, 3D printing is the bomb!

I got the first attempt back yesterday -- close but no cigar. I screwed up the internal dimensions and the library's printer was out of spec.

I tweaked the file this morning and just got back from delivering it to them, and discussing tolerances. I should get attempt two back Wednesday.

I'll keep you posted.

MarkFirst Attempt.jpg

Glad to see you're trying the 3D printer route. It's only a matter of time before there's a 3D printer in every home and the drawing software is common knowledge. This will open up alot of opportunities for replacement parts that did not exist in the past. Keep us posted!

Triumph! I got the 3D part from the library yesterday, trimmed it up a little, installed it and voila!

[video]https://player.vimeo.com/video/238636637[/video]

Here is the printed part, next to the original

Finished case.jpg

So, final result.

Problem analysis correct.
Solution correct. I tried various friends for a junked retractor unit without success, Replacement of entire unit would have been total insanity.
Search for 3D printing let to local Denver Public Library.
To use the system I needed to re-discover Cad-Cam, which I last used in the 1990s. It is a lot improved since then.
The first try did not work, partly my fault, party a maladjusted printer.
FOR THIS FIX, THERE IS NO NEED TO REMOVE THE ENTIRE ASSEMBLY. Simply remove the two screws from the cylindrical cover, and this piece is readily available

Last edited:
Cool beans. I almost makes me want to open my antenna and fix. My CD went dead a few months ago, and right now I'm using my fm x-mitter and the window antenna with an old iPod mini.

I have Sirius on my wife's car and just can't seem to find a channel that I can listen to for more than 10 minutes. I like variety and human interaction, like local radio.

Miner

I have Sirius on my wife's car and just can't seem to find a channel that I can listen to for more than 10 minutes. I like variety and human interaction, like local radio.

Miner

As you can see from my signature, I have driven my NSX for long distances over long periods of time. One of my favorite things about these trips is tuning into the local radio to get a feel for the local culture.

Across the Midwest the farm reports are precious, but even better are the classified radio classified ads. Who knew you could have a three dial watch, with three alarms for different feeding schedules – all for “I’d sure like to get $10.00 for it.” Across Georgia (I think) I heard Mrs. Clemson’s (?) Third Grade Class performs a radio play: I don’t remember what the play was about, but the kid reading the king’s part is likely on Broadway now. He was terrific, so into his part and put his all into it. Immediately afterwards the Superintendent of Schools read a tale to the kids. It was dreadful beyond all belief -- if only she had lessons from the third grader!

I have been fortunate to have traveled extensively and for serious periods of time – long enough to get somewhat of a feel for my surroundings. From being in a newlywed Ma’sai’s home in Tanzania, to a St. Petersburg university student’s parent’s apartment in 1969 (when it was known as Leningrad) to the home of a Nepali who grew up in Lukla and recalls Hillary and Tenseng’s preparation and being fascinated by toilet paper and ball point pens and was now excited about getting a McIntosh computer in the next week, to being in the 4000 year old city of Yazd, Iran, my take away is that there are multiple, valid ways of living one’s life. They are different, some are more “comfortable” than others, but they are all valid.

On another African trip we were on some dreadful “African Culture Trip to a Real African Village!” It was horribly staged and planned (as it had been for a 100 previous “visits.”) We were able to help thatching a roof, tilling a field, grinding some maize, placing cow dung on hut walls and other BS activities. And think about this: we were able to purchase souvenirs as we left!

As we were pulling away in our Toyota Land Cruisers, some of the blue haired ladies were remarking about how sad it all was, ”why these people had no running water, no electricity, no paved streets, no 7/11 on the corner, blah, blah, blah.” I couldn’t help thinking that the local folks were likely remarking about how sad it was that their recent visitors (customers) “had no community, no tradition and no history.” Neither group wished to be like the other, but both, in my opinion, were valid and to be respected.

IMHO all long term cultures are valid and must be understood and valued. Listening to local radio broadcasts in our own country only solidifies this feeling. I say, fix your antenna, wallow in different cultures. If you see that your problem is similar to mine, I can send you the .STL file and you can print the same part near your home.

Thanks for reading.

The antenna in the NSX is very similar to a mid 90s Honda Accord. Vertually every salvage yard has a dozen Honda Accords in stock. If you find a Pull-a-Part yard a whole antenna should cost around $10.
Brad

Back