• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

PPF and ceramic coating

I've never spent the $$$ on PPF but after getting 3 small rock chips driving my NSX home, I've decided to spend some $$, hopefully not $$$.

I spoke with 7 different shops and picked the one that I think is the best. He uses Xpel Ultimate so I'm past the debate of Xpel vs Suntek.

This shop uses GTechniq and has 3 different levels of ceramic coating. The basic coating is the EXO for $500. Next level is Crystal Serum for $950. And getting both is $1200.

If I'm getting PPF, do I need ceramic coating? PPF protects the paint. Does ceramic just make it glossy and easier to clean?

TIA

Last edited:
I went with Xpel and coated with opticoat pro+ . Xpel is for protection and ceramic is for shine and ease of cleaning like wax. Not sure if the Xpel reduces life of coating.. paid 4500 for Xpel, 1600 for coating, and 400 for coating wheels/calipers.. love the results and think it’s worthwhile if it lasts

I had 2 paint chips in the hood in 2 years.

When the car was in the for recall, the dealer touched them up nicely and just charged me $12.95 for the tube of paint.

Do you need ceramic coating? Absolutely not. If you get it you will love it though. PPF and Ceramic coatings are both solutions to protect your paint however they go about it in very different ways. You would be fine with one or the other but both is the best way to go. I have some experience with GTechniq and the product is great. The Crystal Serum is an awesome product for protecting the paint but EXO is really what makes it glossy and repel pretty much everything.

Do you know if he is using Crystal Serum or Crystal Serum Ultra? The regular Serum is good but the Ultra is incredible and only available to certified installers. If you have not talked to them about it I would ask about having your wheels coated as well, it is definitely worth it.

If it were me I would do PPF + Crystal Serum Ultra + Exo as the topcoat. That is the combination I run on my personal vehicles.

[MENTION=34013]Heavymetals[/MENTION] just do it. It makes your car wash so much easier. I had Kamikaze glass coating installed on my NA2 four years ago and because I store the car indoors, the coating is still good. Shortens the duration of my washes, lessens the amount of dirt when I do go out, and no paint swirls in all that time. Price likely depends on location. Here in Cleveland, I spent less than $1k for a two stage paint correction and the Kamikaze coating. Frankly, most ceramic coatings will do as long as they are maintained well.

I had PPF on the entire front of my NSX, CF Roof, and front and rear CF spoiler. It was worth it 10x over. The first week I had my car before I had the PPF installed I got multiple chips on my hood after my first drive on I95, and a chunk of concrete hit my roof and put a nice gouge in it. I was pissed. Fortunately the PPF covered all of the damage and you couldn't tell it was there. Then a few months later a rock hit my hood and tore through the PPF, but there was no damage to the paint and I had it replaced. If you have the Andaro paint it is a must have as getting touch up paint is difficult. I had a batch made for me by my body shop, but I threw it out after my car was returned as you all are aware of.

On my current car, I have PPF on the front and the entire car has GTechniq ceramic. I'll never own another car without doing both. It takes me 15min to wash and dry the car.

I had PPF on the entire front of my NSX, CF Roof, and front and rear CF spoiler. It was worth it 10x over. The first week I had my car before I had the PPF installed I got multiple chips on my hood after my first drive on I95, and a chunk of concrete hit my roof and put a nice gouge in it. I was pissed. Fortunately the PPF covered all of the damage and you couldn't tell it was there. Then a few months later a rock hit my hood and tore through the PPF, but there was no damage to the paint and I had it replaced. If you have the Andaro paint it is a must have as getting touch up paint is difficult. I had a batch made for me by my body shop, but I threw it out after my car was returned as you all are aware of.

On my current car, I have PPF on the front and the entire car has GTechniq ceramic. I'll never own another car without doing both. It takes me 15min to wash and dry the car.

I am def considering this for my next new car...at a minimum in the front. Quick question - I presume swirl marks are easily avoided with PPF? I used decent washing techniques using no rinse car wash but still swirls come out of no where.

@Heavymetals just do it. It makes your car wash so much easier. I had Kamikaze glass coating installed on my NA2 four years ago and because I store the car indoors, the coating is still good. Shortens the duration of my washes, lessens the amount of dirt when I do go out, and no paint swirls in all that time. Price likely depends on location. Here in Cleveland, I spent less than $1k for a two stage paint correction and the Kamikaze coating. Frankly, most ceramic coatings will do as long as they are maintained well.

Oops just saw this. Is ceramic coating enough to avoid swirls or do I need PPF/ceramic? And just to confirm, those inexpensive ceramic spray waxes don't even come close?

Oops just saw this. Is ceramic coating enough to avoid swirls or do I need PPF/ceramic? And just to confirm, those inexpensive ceramic spray waxes don't even come close?

I have never noticed swirl marks with either protective measures.

I have a friend who uses a spray on silicone each time he washes his car and it works great. However it doesn’t give the same protection.

I've never spent the $$$ on PPF but after getting 3 small rock chips driving my NSX home, I've decided to spend some $$, hopefully not $$$.I spoke with 7 different shops and picked the one that I think is the best. He uses Xpel Ultimate so I'm past the debate of Xpel vs Suntek.This shop uses GTechniq and has 3 different levels of ceramic coating. The basic coating is the EXO for $500. Next level is Crystal Serum for $950. And getting both is $1200. If I'm getting PPF, do I need ceramic coating? PPF protects the paint. Does ceramic just make it glossy and easier to clean? TIA
When I purchased my 2017 it had two rock chips on the hood. They were relatively small but noticeable once you knew where to look. I ended up going the route where you sand the spot and add paint till it is rounded and then sand again. It essentially disappeared. I was really pleased given that it is Novella Blue. After that I purchased precut PPF from 3M. I purchased the Pro which has a gloss look. The first time I put it on the hood I screwed it up. I purchased just the half hood and did it again. Came out pretty nice and does a great job of protecting the paint. It probably makes sense to do the entire hood and fenders. When ever I drive on the freeway I try and stay back behind cars. Sometimes that is kind of difficult. I also purchased the ceramic coating from AvalonKing. Pretty easy to apply following the instructions. I am retired so I have the time to do all this stuff.

I am getting quotes around $2k for a ceramic coating and paint prep, a "gold" package.

I think they want an additional $1.9k for a protective (Xpell) film.

GULP!

I have all my cars wrapped with Xpell, and ceramic coated. They did paint correction first. It's costly, but well worth it. I've seen some really sloppy work, by places that really shouldn't be installing on cars. When done correctly, you don't even know it's there, except the car looks great. As others have said, it's much easier to clean too!!

When mine was delivered with less than 10 miles on it first stop was paint correction then a full wrap with ceramic coating.

They added nano bond to the windshield as a freebie. So far I only have a windshield ding from over a year ago. Luckily it’s not cracking.

Paint looks perfect and I usually clean it with a swiffer duster. It’s not cheap but worth it. Need to check with a couple local shops if they have something better for the windshield.

Ceramic coating is enough to reduce development of swirls.

PPF is a nice add to reduce the number of rock chips.

The inexpensive ceramic sprays don't last long.

Ideally, the ceramic coatings will last 3-5 years depending on whether your car is an outside or inside stored car. My NA2 spends five months a year covered, and it's parked indoors at night, so my coating has lasted a long time.

Last edited:
Keep in mind that when someone has their paint "corrected" there is a lot of work that goes into the swirl free shine that you see as a result. Sometimes the paint is color sanded if there is a lot of orange peal. Then the paint is polished. Sometimes they will clay the paint and then buff out parts to make sure everything looks good. A lot of hand labor goes into preparing the paint. Ceramic Coatings go on top of a great looking paint, so when everything is said and done the car will look fabulous. Having said that, Ceramic Coatings are sold as if they will do great things and withstand all that can be thrown their way. My car had a customer ceramic system applied. When you read the find print you find that it takes yearly adjustments, otherwise the warranty is not extended. Lets face it, there is no miracle out there that will protect your paint from all the evils of the environment. Keeping your car clean and out of the sun will do more to keeping your paint looking good for many years to come.

In the past I did not like the 3M type of film placed on the paint. It would dull the color and generally did not look better on than off. The other side of that is that paint chips are a pain in the ass and otherwise ruin the look of a hood and bumper. When you look at the cost it is almost a even game in that having your hood repainted as well as fenders will cost you about what having film placed on the paint. The nice thing about the film is that it can be removed and you are left with a chip-less paint job. With the newer films that have a gloss look, it is harder to see the seams and the paint is no longer dulled out. I think some of the prices out there are way too high. But in the end, as long as you are happy as a customer then the price was right.

Last edited:
Well, I bit the bullet and made the appointment.

The whole job, ceramic "gold" package and Xpell film.

I may even get the car back in time to show it off at the next car show (first Sat of the month) in Palos Verdes.

Well, I bit the bullet and made the appointment.

The whole job, ceramic "gold" package and Xpell film.

I may even get the car back in time to show it off at the next car show (first Sat of the month) in Palos Verdes.
Think Xpell has a satin wrap also. Haven’t seen it in person but it’s an option for something different.

Heavymetals, I am sure you will be happy with all that you are doing. Again congrats on joining the group. Afterwards for upkeep, Adams makes a spray ceramic coating that can be used to keep everything looking its best. Often after I wash the car (rinse really) I will spray both on the film and paint the Adams ceramic spray. It goes a long ways and really makes things pop.

Picked up the car and it looks pretty nice, although it looked pretty nice to begin with.

They said to give it 48 hours and not to wash for two weeks.

Congrats! A lot of customers probably get sticker shock when they hear the price but like people have said here the work is in the prep and application. My Lexus was coated over 1 year ago and I wash it weekly. It is very worth it if you maintain your paint. I don't even use a real wash- just waterless wash to get all the dust off. You feel the difference when you glide over your paint. Ceramic doesn't mean low maintenance, but it makes maintaining easier.

For those who got new NSX from factory, how's the paint upon delivery? I guess dealer can screw up when prepping. I guess you are supposed to wait 60 days before sealing. Anyone try DIY ceramic products like Avalon?

Back