• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

PPF and ceramic coating

I'm picking up my car this afternoon after having the front half and rocker panels covered in PPF. While Googling their hours, I randomly came across a thread where someone complained that their iPad will suggest an 18%, 22% or 25% tip. That seems absurd to me. I checked other forums (BMW, Mustang, Tesla etc) that discussed the same topic and the overwhelming majority of respondents said that they do not tip for PPF/ceramic installs.

I tip way above average for dine in restaurants. I'm not a big fan of tipping for takeout orders (separate topic) so I'm probably average there. But I don't tip my plumber, electrician, HVAC contractor, dentist, tire shop or other skilled trades.

Thoughts?
I had my front done, roof wrapped in carbon fiber wrap to match my spoiler and mirrors done. I didn't tip. I actually never thought about it.

My PPF people are wonderful, but the "tip" is built in to the price...

I'm picking up my car this afternoon after having the front half and rocker panels covered in PPF. While Googling their hours, I randomly came across a thread where someone complained that their iPad will suggest an 18%, 22% or 25% tip. That seems absurd to me. I checked other forums (BMW, Mustang, Tesla etc) that discussed the same topic and the overwhelming majority of respondents said that they do not tip for PPF/ceramic installs.

I tip way above average for dine in restaurants. I'm not a big fan of tipping for takeout orders (separate topic) so I'm probably average there. But I don't tip my plumber, electrician, HVAC contractor, dentist, tire shop or other skilled trades.

Thoughts?
Many of these shops do limited services like car washes where a tip is not out of the norm. I agree, for an n thousand dollar job a 15% tip feels inappropriate.

I still find it kind of funny that "protection products" when offered or forced on the consumer by dealerships are perceived as a scam and when offered by detailers are perceived as life savers.

I looked into the ceramic coatings by some dealers( auto armor ect) and it is inferior to the products offered by respected higher end detailers. But most dealers don't offer PPF

False alarm. Their payment system didn't offer a tip option. I wonder if the original poster in that thread listed the wrong business...or if the business removed the tip option due to complaints or reviews. Either way, I have a shiny car in my garage. 👍

Thoughts?
I have a great working relationship with the owner of the high-end detail shop I use. A couple of times I have tried to give him a gratuity for the people that did the actual work, and he said no, he pays them well enough. Well after a few of my cars were done, and there was more work, he did accept a gratuity to spread to the workers, that did the install on my car. They are well paid "craftspeople", but they do appreciate being recognized to going the extra distance, to make your car "just right". It's not "expected", or "required", but is a nice gesture.

In my case the hands on are the owners...I usually do tip workers for most household / landscaping jobs..

Thoughts?
Probably too late yet same thinking here. Decent but no crazy tips in restaurants (it’s been forever since we’ve been in one), and with the Covid impact on restaurants I do a modest tip for take-out.

Back