• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Conti 6's or Michelin PS4's?

Hi all! Time to finally junk the Conti 5's on my 2018. Just wondering about which tire to replace them with for street use only. No track work. Dry handling is of paramount importance although I don't want to get killed in the rain. Also wear is not much of an issue as I only drive about 4k miles a year and my lease is up in 16 months.

I'm leaning towards the PS4's especially since the Conti's are on back order at tire rack. If I do go with the Conti's, is there a particular compound that's made for the NSX?

I know there is a tire subsection but it seems a bit quite there.

Thanks!

I'm a Michelin guy but I have been convinced the Conti6 works on the NSX after my track day and and having a session in the wet. If you need them and their not available ..well you answered your own question. The PS4's have a higher wear rating so I'm going to say your not going to get as much grip as the Conti6. Cont's are about $140 less for a set. You might try an acura dealer. I know mine had several sets including the Pirelli Trofeo's.

Thanks for the info, good to know the Conti's are grippier. In the event they show up in stock at tire rack is there a specific compound made specially for the NSX. They also list another set that is in stock but specify they are for Audi/Mecedes? I will check with my dealer in the meantime. Thanks and be well.

I can attest to the rain performance...very good for the conti 6..no hint of hydroplaning at 75mph

I really wish I could give you some feedback about the Conti6 that Acura put on my car. But I only got to drive it 75 miles with them on my car in ten months. Fifty miles were on my way home from the dealer that installed them, and 25 mlles on the drive to the dealer to return the car. However, the Acura engineer put 100miles on them test driving my car.

Last edited:
My car came with the OEM Conti5 tires. The rears needed replacement at 5000 miles so I just went with a whole set. I decided on the Mich PS4. While a bit more expensive I thought they would last longer given the tread wear. For my purposes (no track) they are perfect. I purchased through Costco, when they had their sale (currently $150 off). They were afraid of damaging my car, as it was lowered at the time. I even suggested that I would pull the wheels and have them swap the tires. They were reluctant as there was a fear that my wheels might get marked up. So I ended up going to my local Acura that had the appropriate equipment for installing the tires. The Acura dealer charged $200 for mounting and the special wheel balancing. Costco refunded the cost of mounting and balancing and indicated that they would still honor the mileage warranty. While the tires have a 30,000 mile warranty because they cannot be rotated Costco will only cover a 15,000 mile warranty which is more than fine with me. The PS4 also has a sidewall extension that protects the wheels.

...So I ended up going to my local Acura that had the appropriate equipment for installing the tires. The Acura dealer charged $200 for mounting and the special wheel balancing...

Horse shit. There is no special wheel balancing for the NSX. The only thing special is your stealership is a bunch of crooks.

The special balancing done is referred to as Road Force Balancing. While balancing the wheel there is a small wheel that is pressed against the tire as it rotates. Check out a report by SOS on how they were able to fix a power issue on the car. https://www.scienceofspeed.com/inde...2oPGfpDbQArkKfFeagS6HRXdxjKfb_DEGzCkD7M2ZiBcY

I know all about those balance machines. Almost any good tire shop has one and it's not limited to only your dealer. Sorry buddy. But don't drink the Kool Aide your dealer is feeding you.

I accepted their price for mounting and balance. Given my car was lowered at the time what do you think was a fair price from an Acura Dealer?

Doc
Costco doesn't Road Force Balance tires. You get a spin balance and that's it and it doesn't address radial runout. Low profile tires and larger diameter wheels tend to make vehicles like the NSX more sensitive to vibration forces. Spin balancing can effect ride vibration but doesn't address radial runout. Low profile tires are more prone to have stiff spots that are stiffer than the rest of the tire. This is force variation which can cause ride vibrations.
Now we all know how our new cars seem to ride soooo smooth when new. Many times it's the tire spec by the manufacturer that is a wee bit better than the replacements. Why do Porsche, Mercedes spec a "MO or NO" OEM tire! Tighter quality control on the OEM's have less (mostly) production variation of radial runout.
I think drmanny was smart in having his tires and wheels road balanced regardless if there Michelin's or not. They're are aftermarket tires.

Jimmy aka sled driver

Doc
Costco doesn't Road Force Balance tires. You get a spin balance and that's it and it doesn't address radial runout. Low profile tires and larger diameter wheels tend to make vehicles like the NSX more sensitive to vibration forces. Spin balancing can effect ride vibration but doesn't address radial runout. Low profile tires are more prone to have stiff spots that are stiffer than the rest of the tire. This is force variation which can cause ride vibrations.
Now we all know how our new cars seem to ride soooo smooth when new. Many times it's the tire spec by the manufacturer that is a wee bit better than the replacements. Why do Porsche, Mercedes spec a "MO or NO" OEM tire! Tighter quality control on the OEM's have less (mostly) production variation of radial runout.
I think drmanny was smart in having his tires and wheels road balanced regardless if there Michelin's or not. They're are aftermarket tires.

Jimmy aka sled driver

I agree on those points you mention. However my dealer scratched the fuck out of two wheels, and tore the sidewall on two tires the one time I had them change the tires.

If my tires and or wheels suffered any kind of damage I would have had Acura repair/replace the damage. Which is why I did not have a problem with what they charged me. I also wanted to support my local dealer as they are small and spent the money on training and equipment to work on the NSX. They were excited to have the car. They sell not only Acura and Range Rover as well as Jaguar. My experience with Acura Dealerships in Southern California has been really positive. It appears that you really had a bad Acura Dealership experience.

I have Conti 5 on my 2018 and have been thinking about the same question when I am up for tire replacement.

I think I will go with Conti 6 because it is the factory tire of choice for the NSX and I trust all the engineering / testing that went into their decision.

Regardless of which tire, I had intended to have them shipped to a well regarded mobile installer so as to avoid having to go to the dealer.
With all of these balancing concerns I think should just wait a bit and have it done at the dealer.

I replaced my Conti5 with the PS4S. Happy with them. They work well in the rain. I'll probably replace with the same tire unless I can find the Conti6 for a lower price. From the TireRack review, it sounds like both are similar in performance.

I did find the Michelins were noticeably quieter than the Conti5.

Regardless of which tire, I had intended to have them shipped to a well regarded mobile installer so as to avoid having to go to the dealer. With all of these balancing concerns I think should just wait a bit and have it done at the dealer.
I would definitely have the tires mounted and balanced at the dealer. I recall at Costco, that the installer (supervisor) looked at the rims (especially the rear 20 inch OEM Wheels) and said that he was concerned about his tire equipment marring/scratching the wheel. There is a guide that rides just above the rim as the wheel turns. He noted that my wheels have the blades that reach all the way to the rim and are slighted above the rim in a staggered way. Even though his machine has a protective plastic/rubber guide it might get too close and damage the finish on the blades. That was enough for me to seek out the Dealership. I have had shops in the past scratch my wheels on the 2001 NSX. Your only recourse is to just suck it up or try taking the guy to small claims court. It is not worth the aggravation. And it that were not all you should be concerned with consider if you have the Ceramic Brakes. Acura Dealers use the wheel pins to insure that the tires come straight off and go back on straight. I remember asking the installer at Costco if he had ever used the wheel pins and he said he had never heard of them. I carry about six of them in the car at all times. Science of Speed Wheel Installation Studs (pair) - NSX, 2017-on

Last edited:
Any decent tire shop should have the equipment to install low-profile tires and have a road force balancer. Check with owners of other sports cars where they get their tires done.

I purchased eight pins so that if I had the car on jacks I could remove all the wheels. I ended up getting ones that were 5 inches long. They come in various sizes. I used one on the top and one on the bottom. I have spacers on my car so that is why I went with the longer ones. Acura probably uses one per wheel, but they have the car up on a rack making it easier to lift the wheel. It is more difficult when the car is on jack stands. They help prevent you from banging the Ceramic rotors which apparently can easily chip. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=M14+x+1.5+Wheel+Hanger+Studs&i=automotive&ref=nb_sb_noss

The pins from Acura come two in a package one short and one long. After wrestling the wheels around the pins really make it easier especially if you have wheel spacer in case anyone wants to know. I don't have the ceramic brakes but they help with the install if you're into diy.
Cheers!
Jimmy aka sled driver

Interesting that you get them in two lengths. I was trying to see if they are mentioned in the owners manual but could not find a reference. Next time I get a subscription to Honda tech I will check this out.Thanks

Removing the wheels really isn't too difficult using a jack. I swapped out my calipers with the help of a friend and he had pins that he used with his M5. They fit fine and I was super careful not to damage the CCB's.

As for Costco, they had no problems installing new Michelins on my 20" BMW wheels and they are perfectly balanced.

drmanny3, the dealer wouldn't do shit for me, Acura actually replaced the wheels and tires at a different dealer after I raised hell. The crappy dealer also didn't refund me any money for damaging the new tires I bought from them. I filed a dispute with Amex and got back the $1,200.

I had to have the right-rear tire replaced on my 2019 just a couple of months ago. I ended up with a screw in the tire (in the tread), and the Acura dealership did not want to repair the tire because of the speed rating on the tire and because of the speed capability of the vehicle it was on. Honestly, I agreed with them, so they ordered me a new Conti SportContact 6 tire, and it was only only $364.06. They also charged $35 for mounting and balancing. I'd say that's a pretty good deal considering the Tire Rack wants $368 for a rear tire.

Incidentally, replacing the tire actually didn't cost me a dime because I had purchased a tire and wheel protection plan when I bought the car (from a different dealership). The Acura dealership simply billed the protection plan company for the tire and labor. The protection plan covers me for 7 years, and it covers the original tires and wheels or any replacement tires and wheels. I've already recouped 1/3 of the protection plan cost, and if I end up curbing a wheel or two, the protection plan would have me come out on top.

...Incidentally, replacing the tire actually didn't cost me a dime because I had purchased a tire and wheel protection plan when I bought the car (from a different dealership). The Acura dealership simply billed the protection plan company for the tire and labor. The protection plan covers me for 7 years, and it covers the original tires and wheels or any replacement tires and wheels. I've already recouped 1/3 of the protection plan cost, and if I end up curbing a wheel or two, the protection plan would have me come out on top.

When I got my NC1 I also bought a tire and wheel protection policy and got a nail in my tire two weeks after I got the car. I usually don’t buy those policies, but for the peace of mind it was worth it.

Back