• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Conti 6's or Michelin PS4's?

I use 36 cold all around

When I first fire it up my pressures are approximately 32. After driving a bit they are up to 36/37 for what it is worth. I have taken a couple of turns pretty fast and have never lost grip of the road. Drives like a cart but comfortable.

Formula1fan,
I know its difficult to cut through all the information available on tires. I try using Primary Sources (first hand knowledge) against advertising which is heavily biased.
Second hand information that is made to look like primary source is also unreliable which would be testimonials. Tire rack is great at this as is the internet in giving "ratings" from buyers. But it is rarely your car and your exact tire.

It now appears you have buyers remorse and we all have been there. When the factory specs a tire for a specific model it's like getting a hand made suit vs. one off the rack. A tire engineer and a suspension engineer have worked together to get a desired result for a specific vehicle. So when Acura published that the Conti6 is two seconds a lap faster for a street tire they have obviously spend a huge amount of R&D on the product. Why try and reinvent the wheel (tire).
I couldn't help but think of the Grail Knight's quote in the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade "he chose poorly" when you went with the Michelins.
But thank you for starting this interesting thread.
Jimmy aka sled driver

Formula1fan,
I know its difficult to cut through all the information available on tires. I try using Primary Sources (first hand knowledge) against advertising which is heavily biased.
Second hand information that is made to look like primary source is also unreliable which would be testimonials. Tire rack is great at this as is the internet in giving "ratings" from buyers. But it is rarely your car and your exact tire.

It now appears you have buyers remorse and we all have been there. When the factory specs a tire for a specific model it's like getting a hand made suit vs. one off the rack. A tire engineer and a suspension engineer have worked together to get a desired result for a specific vehicle. So when Acura published that the Conti6 is two seconds a lap faster for a street tire they have obviously spend a huge amount of R&D on the product. Why try and reinvent the wheel (tire).
I couldn't help but think of the Grail Knight's quote in the Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade "he chose poorly" when you went with the Michelins.
But thank you for starting this interesting thread.
Jimmy aka sled driver

You are absolutely correct. Funny thing is I had my dealer order the Conti's and then I watched a you tube review from a type R driver who commented on how much the tire rolled in the corners because of the soft sidewalls. I had heard that about Conti's in general. I hate that so I immediately called up the dealer and told him to cancel the order and went with the Michelin's instead.

Turns out the PS4 has that exact squishy characteristic. I took the pressures up to 36 and went for a drive but it didn't help much. I find the steering vague and the car feels very soft. The 5's where much more precise and much stiffer. They changed directions instantly although I never really knew how much grip I had or when I was going to lose it. At least with the Michelin's you can get a good idea of grip levels and it feels much more progressive. Still, it feels like a completely different car now. I only have about 100 miles and I'm hoping they lose that coating they say takes about 500 miles to wear off and settle in.

I wish I never saw that that video!

Back