• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need expert oil advice

I bought my 01 NSX several weeks ago. It was built in March of 01, and sat on the dealer floor for around 7 months before I bought it. It had 37 miles on the odometer when I drove away. The dillema: The oil has been in the car for 10 months now, but I don't want to change the "break in oil" early. (I'm still very curious about this oil). Will my oil be compromised becuase it has been in the crankcase so long? BTW, the car now has 1100 miles on it. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

The reason you'd have to change the oil is because it is contaminated with various road dusts, dirt, grime, and metal shavings from the engine. I can't imagine that a car in the showroom would accumulate too much of this stuff. I'd guess that if anything all it got was a bit of dust settling on the oil from sitting so long, and this would have been filtered out as soon as the oil went one cycle through the filter.

Just change your oil as you normally would and don't worry too much about it sitting for so long.

By the way, I am NOT an expert
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Edo (edited 07 January 2002).]

Originally posted by DeHaldaswerth:
I bought my 01 NSX several weeks ago. It was built in March of 01, and sat on the dealer floor for around 7 months before I bought it. It had 37 miles on the odometer when I drove away. The dillema: The oil has been in the car for 10 months now, but I don't want to change the "break in oil" early. (I'm still very curious about this oil). Will my oil be compromised becuase it has been in the crankcase so long? BTW, the car now has 1100 miles on it. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

My thoughts are a bit different, though I am also, 'no expert'. One of the main reasons that time is as important as miles is because of temp changes. When air heats and cools it squeezes moisture out of the air. This moisture (also expressed as condensation) accuumulates in the crankcase and that is a bad thing. Moisture helps to 'activate' (only for lack of a better word) all the acids and other nasty things in motor oil, not to mention that water dilutes the oils protective properties. It is this 'bad time' that makes modern break in oil better than old break in oil. More additives are used to combat this problem than in older oils, but still- after 10 months mine would be gone. Especially where you live in Northern Az if I am correct where the difference between the daily highs and lows is so great, not to mention spring time in Suzaka.

I say, oil change time.

Enjoy the New Car.
Mark Basch

I miss posts by [MENTION=4042]DeHaldaswerth[/MENTION], especially after his famous 458 vs Ford GT thread and after he got the Zanardi...but then dropped out!

Anyone know how his Zanardi light mods turned out?

Back