• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Need opinion on 2002 spa yellow

Well at my local acura dealer sits a 02 spa yellow traded in on a viper. It was owned by a 20 year old kid and the car has 13,083 miles on it. At 12,500 it was towed in because the moron used to much nitrous and blew the engine and burned out the clutch. The dealer replaced the enitire engine ($25,000) and installed a comptech clutch and lightened flywheel, comptech exhaust. At that point the spoiled kid asked his father to trade it in on a viper. The car als has a painted center console with a dvd/cd pioneer player/passport built in radar detector,brand new tires and tinted windows. It has a clean carfax, no accidents and looks good though obviously has been abused. The dealer is going to certify it 7/100,000 warranty. The only thing that could be a problem as i see it having the engine/clutch replaced is tranny/diff/ axle with all the extra hp but with a 7/100 warranty I feel ok. Price we are negotioating but looks to be in the 62/64 range. I would like all opinions on the car. Is it a good deal. should i run.

thanks tom:confused:

Hmm. That is a tough one. It sounds like the car was ragged on pretty hard. Rich kids:rolleyes:

The only reason to go to a 02 from your 00 is if you like the headlights. The car is basically the same.

If you know your cars history well and feel good about it, I would not bother trading for this one.

Actually I need to update my sig. I had a 98 spa yellow which is sold and was going to buy the 00 but this 02 fell in my lap so I own 0 nsx's at this time. The 00 is at Falconi's Acura and 20,000 miles clean. straight for 55k

What dealer is the 2002 at? Don't worry. I'm not in the market for buying one, so I'm not going to steal the out from under you...

Tom, I saw the car you are talking about very briefly as they were pulling it out of the shop last tuesday and the salesman told me the same thing. That they had rebuilt the engine and the reason why. With the 7yr/100,000 mi. certified warrenty I don't think that would leave you too much to worry about, unless you're planning to use it as a daily driver and to keep it longer than the certified warrenty period. To each his own, but if they are really cutting you a very good deal I think I personally would go for it.:D P.S.- Be sure to watch the midwest forum, as we have been having some really great drives (about one a month and usually 4-6 NSX's/S2000's) once the weather warms up. Gary

Saw it up on the rack several weeks ago over at the dealership w/the engine on a dolly while the guy I deal with there was showing me a TL.

Do us a favor and get the VIN and post it here. At least someone down the road would have its history.

actually that is a different one and is located in overland park ks. I just left there. I can get either for 62k certified. One completely stock with no stories or one with new engine and comptech header/exhaust intake and clutch and dvd/cd/ and painted console. Very confused. If it is certified and the abused one had a tranny problem a year from now. Do you think I would get any hassle from acura on fixing it from the past abuse which is clearly documemnted.

I think I almost bought the one at Falconi's you mentioned,
but I ended up getting a 2004. They have some really good lease deals on the new one, and it turned out to be a much better payment, than the used 2000.

I assume their taking out the nos in order to certify the car?

I think there are alot of 02-03 yellows for sale now that you can buy in the mid 60's so I'd look around some more.

Personally, I would not buy 02-04 model but instead lease an 04 considering the hsc/nsx is coming out next year. That is unless you do not like the hsc.

Ok thanks for all the opinions. Just to clear things up

Superior Acura in Overland park ks has a 02 spa yellow with 17,000 miles. This one has no issues and is completely stock. Its vin number is VIN: JH4NA21652T000187.

Jay wolfe acura in kc, mo has a 02 spa yellow with 13,000 miles with new engine and comptech clutch,flywheel,header,exhaust.
Its vin is JH4NA216X2T000038

Any other opnions would be great

My thoughts are this.

If you would like to do the headers and exhaust in the future, get the one that already has it. It will save you like 3500 bucks and you will probably pay close to the same $$ for the car. The new clutch is also nice, but neither clutch is anywhere near going out with 17K or less.

It sounds like the 7 year warranty should ease your mind on the KC NSX.

I would probably go with it.

I would however drive that car first because you may hate how the clutch feels, especially if it is a daily driver.

yes I drove the comptech clutch. It is pretty hard. This is the comptech 2 and it is very tight. When you shift and give it no gas it slaps hard though the lightened flywheel spools the car up quick

I hate to say it, but I think the interior changes would make or break the deal for me. Make sure you want to look at that painted console every day.

The fact that Acura is willing to certify the car after the repairs would remove the longevity doubts. What kind of warranty does the other 02 carry, just the remaining factory? Then that adds another few $$$ to the deal for the rebuilt car.

Personally, I'd go with the unmolested car regardless of the warranty deal on the other one. I guess it's more of a peace of mind thing but to have such a car and know it was treated like garbage by the previous owner would weigh in heavily on my psyche; that's just me though. Do you really want to spend $60k on a car that had its original motor and transmission destroyed?

NetViper said:
Hmm. That is a tough one. It sounds like the car was ragged on pretty hard. Rich kids:rolleyes:

The only reason to go to a 02 from your 00 is if you like the headlights. The car is basically the same.

If you know your cars history well and feel good about it, I would not bother trading for this one.

Wow, rich kids can buy more toys! Big deal? Of course, they can, just like it would be our choices which kind of cars we want to own.

Here is the list of the fiffrences bet ween the 97-01 and 02-04:

- Headlights are different, HID, with turn signals integrated into the headlight units.
- Front bumper is different.
- Rear is different, with new lip and valence.
- SIde-skirts are different.
- The signal lights in the rear are different, rounded shaped.
- The rims are different and bigger, thicker; 17s all around.
- 255-40-17 in the rears, as opposed to the 245s on the 97-01.
- Suspension is thicker, stronger, redesigned.
- New drive-by-wire system.
- The calipers are painted.
- Spare tire is bigger and with different color.
- The interior is colored to match the seat.
- Engine compartment is different, sith new parts and some wiring.
- Center console and where the door hatch is, is painted in a different color.
- CD changer is now MP3-equipped.
- Glove-box compartment is different.
- New alarm system.
- Carpets are a bit different, ESPECIALLY the trunk carpet.
- Leather is better. It has holes, to breath better.
- The rims, the alrm have the word 'ACURA' on them.
- Better aerodynamic because of all the body massages; better top end.

Freaking car is just pimp. Like I said, in my opinion, it is A BIT MORE OF A CAR than any of the old ones. Get the car, it is different. I wouldn't stay away from a salvaged titled one, if fixed right and the price is right, let alone one that was rebuilt and has a long warranty on it. GET IT!

Last edited:
Back