• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

80,000 miles and loving driving my NSX...

Okay...so last week my '94 NSX turned 80,000 miles on the odometer and I started thinking about all of the considerable driving I have done with this NSX, and my '91 NSX. I mean, all things considered I have logged over 160,000 miles between my NSX's and previous ones that I spent time with, and getting behind the wheel is still a thrill.

Last year I went to a BMW Precision Driving Experience M school and loved spending two days driving a BMW M5....enough that I almost traded in one of the NSX's for an M5. The whole way home I was thinking about why I like the NSX, and if I wanted to keep both of them. Well, as you can tell from my sig, I still have both of my Japanese road rockets and have held back from buying an M5. Although, I do admit that I will probably add an M5 in a couple of years, I have no plans to sell the NSX's to do it. :)

Flash back to this last week when I saw the 80,000 miles show on the '94. It kind of made me rethink why I have the car in the forst place, and why it is my daily driver.

1.) So much fun!!

* The car is designed in such a way that when I am leaving work I can put down the windows, pull out onto the street, and just punch the gas!! Redline in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd comes up and all my worries and cares fly right out the window. I can attack some back roads and the VTEC just plasters a smile on my face that never gets old. I never have a bad day driving the NSX.

2.) Looks great!!

* I have owned and driven NSX's for so many years now that I cannot remember not having one, yet I stil find myself going out to the garage and flipping on the lights just to look at it. Several people told me that eventually this would wear off after having the NSX for a while, but guess what?? They were wrong!! It is a total trip to look out at that car in the garage and think, 'Hey...this car is MINE to drive whenever and wherever I want,' and know that I am blessed. Sometimes I have friends drive the car just so that I can follow them and see what the car looks like while it drives. Funny I know....but the car is beauty in motion.

3.) Reliable.

* I never think twice about driving the NSX on long trips. Most of you that know me know that I will drive my NSX anywhere, anytime, if it sounds like fun. The more miles I rack up the more fun I have because I know that the NSX can handle it. One of my dreams is to have the highest mileage NSX in the world. Something in me finds it really amusing when I go to and NSX club event, or other car show, and I see people bragging about how low mileage their car is and how they never drive it, and then they look at my car and almost have a heart attack when they see the odometer. HAHAHAA!! I love it. :D

4.) Perfection.

* The NSX is perfect **for me** and my way of driving and living. I want you all to reread the part that says perfect **for me** before responding that some other car is more 'perfect'. The NSX has interior ergonomics that make me feel like I am at home at the helm of a fighter jet for the road. The black canopy top on my early cars (which I enjoy more than the color matched tops) evokes memories of the first NSX's that I ever saw, and the videos of Ayrton Senna doing prototype testing on racetracks throughout the world. Every angle of the car is beautiful to me and I find myself looking around even when stopped at traffic lights and noticing different angles of the car that I absolutey love. The NSX is what I always wanted in a car, and now I have it.

Thanks for listening to my little schpeel there. I guess I am just really happy to have this car and to be able to share the joy with other who have the same thing. So enjoy your car...drive it....and let yourself live the dream again. Both you and your NSX will feel better for it. ;)

Bravo Mitch! well put ,you just made me want to drive my x more and quit worring about the milage. You only live once, mas well enjoy it!

ceeya32 said:
Bravo Mitch! well put ,you just made me want to drive my x more and quit worring about the milage. You only live once, mas well enjoy it!

Thank you. Now get away from that computer and get to driving!! HAHAHA!!! :D

Couldnt have said it any better! I just hit 90k with mine and have loved every minute with it, 82,000 miles in 2.5 years, not many exotics you can do that with!

You think 80K miles is a lot, get a load of this! One of our NSX guys in Northern California owns this car, a daily driver.

pb12.jpg

Wow....that is what I am talking about!! I like seeing a car with some miles on it. If I combined the mileage of both of my NSX's then I would be closer to that milestone. Maybe I will just focus on driving the '94 from this point on and start logging some serious miles. :)

...by the way...who is the owner of that car?? There was a guy in California named Bill Muirhead that had one with a lot of miles as well.

Does anyone know anything on this car? Is it original motor? or rebuilt? Anything on the tranny?
I am very envious of that guy, daily driving and nothing else to worry about.
WOW !!

Meeyatch1 said:

I can put down the windows, pull out onto the street, and just punch the gas!! Redline in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd comes up and all my worries and cares fly right out the window.

YIKES! Redlining all the way through third means you're doin about over 100mph! I hope your office is off the autobahn! ;) j/k

Great post and great reasons for loving such an awesome machine! I, too, get the same feeling everytime I blast VTEC with the windows down and hear that sweet intake/exhaust note!

Meeyatch1 said:
Wow....that is what I am talking about!! I like seeing a car with some miles on it. If I combined the mileage of both of my NSX's then I would be closer to that milestone. Maybe I will just focus on driving the '94 from this point on and start logging some serious miles. :)
Yup i feel good too, so i can feel like "oh my car is still low milege."

To add to the lunacy of logging miles on the NSX some of you will appreciate this. Here is how much I like to spread the joy of the NSX with others. :)

I have been out of the country for a couple of days, but before I left I called a good friend of mine and said, 'Hey...I am going to be gone for a while, and the NSX will just be sitting at home not moving. Well, it does not like to sit for very long, so how about I drop it off at your house and you drive it for the weekend for me,' and he was silent. Finally he said, 'Well...okay, that would be cool,' and I dropped off the car. If I am not home, at least my friend will get to enjoy the car and log some miles. :D

you can drop the car off my house ANYTIME!!!!
Thats what I call a friend

Meeyatch1 said:
...by the way...who is the owner of that car?? There was a guy in California named Bill Muirhead that had one with a lot of miles as well.

You're correct. This is Bill Muirhead's NSX, a '91 black/black. This photo was taken in May '03 so there's even more miles on the car. Bill told me the engine is original and was never opened up. Keeps up on the maintenance and it just keeps on going and going. I heard that there are two NSXs with over 200K miles running around in Phoenix, AZ.

Vytas said:
You're correct. This is Bill Muirhead's NSX, a '91 black/black. This photo was taken in May '03 so there's even more miles on the car. Bill told me the engine is original and was never opened up. Keeps up on the maintenance and it just keeps on going and going. I heard that there are two NSXs with over 200K miles running around in Phoenix, AZ.

I figured it had to be Bill's car. If I remember correctly, he really takes great care of that car, and the outside looks like a car with far less mileage on it. See.....if you take care of your car, it will take care of you. :)

It appears that I have to go to Chicago this weekend....my poor car will be in the garage just sitting. :(

Back