• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I Take it Out for One Road Trip a Year - And This Happens...

Damage 1.jpg

I was 5 miles from home after a 1,000 mile road trip. Stopped at a red light. Pickup tuck in front of me decides to back up to make room for someone trying to turn left in front of him. Didn't see me. Didn't hear me frantically honking my horn. Ran his trailer hitch right up my hood.:mad: It looks like the damage is limited to the hood. The picture makes it look like the bumper is also involved, but it's not really noticeable in person so I'll have to look more closely.

So I just filed the insurance claim and haven't heard back yet. I'm guessing finding body parts for my 1993 NSX is going to be a problem. I'm the original owner. It only has 28,000 miles on it (I told you I only take it out for one road trip a year). I'd like to be sure it's properly repaired, but I have no idea on where to take it in the Denver area or what to watch out for in dealing with the body shop and insurance company (Progressive). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

So I just filed the insurance claim and haven't heard back yet. I'm guessing finding body parts for my 1993 NSX is going to be a problem. I'm the original owner. It only has 28,000 miles on it (I told you I only take it out for one road trip a year). I'd like to be sure it's properly repaired, but I have no idea on where to take it in the Denver area or what to watch out for in dealing with the body shop and insurance company (Progressive). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Ouch! If its just the hood and some small parts underneath, then it shouldn't be too bad.

there are a few on ebay ranging in the 1200.

pm Honcho

View attachment 183167

I was 5 miles from home after a 1,000 mile road trip. Stopped at a red light. Pickup tuck in front of me decides to back up to make room for someone trying to turn left in front of him. Didn't see me. Didn't hear me frantically honking my horn. Ran his trailer hitch right up my hood.:mad: It looks like the damage is limited to the hood. The picture makes it look like the bumper is also involved, but it's not really noticeable in person so I'll have to look more closely.

Reach out to @Honcho or myself. We are in CO and can get you in contact with a great body shop for paint. The hood is toast, you'll need/want to source one (looks like they are still available from Japan or probably even Christian at ATR in Austria), my guess is the hood latch is also probably damaged and maybe some other underlying components. You may need new hood hinges too. I have no experience dealing with Progressive but just know that all parts can be sourced.

The shop we use is top notch, but keep in mind that they no longer work through insurance- it was too much of a hassle for them and they have a big client list on an all-cash basis for restoration projects (including me, Spencer and @mskrotzki, among others). The good news is they know the NSX quite well at this point and you can trust them to do the job right.

As for hoods, there are plenty of clean used hoods out there due to many owners going with carbon fiber. You should call Science of Speed and ATR Parts. They keep a decent stock of used NSX body parts. They may have a hood on hand. Going rate these days is about $500 for a clean one, plus shipping. New ones may still be available from Honda Japan for significantly more money, but Acura will say they are discontinued.

It also looks like the upper bumper cover may have been damaged, but it's hard to tell from the picture. It may be tougher to source a replacement part for that- the pop-up bumpers may be discontinued. Not sure.

Finally, keep in mind that because your NSX is R-77 Formula Red, it's going to be pretty tough to get a perfect paint match to the rest of the car, which is faded from the new paint of 30 years ago. More of the car may need to be painted and blended to get an acceptable outcome. This is because the R-77 paint has a magenta-tinted mid coat.

It may be advisable to source/price everything out, talk to Mike at the paint shop to get an idea of what needs to be done and then have Progressive send you a check. My insurance company does that, but not all do.

The shop we use is top notch, but keep in mind that they no longer work through insurance- it was too much of a hassle for them and they have a big client list on an all-cash basis for restoration projects (including me, Spencer and @mskrotzki, among others). The good news is they know the NSX quite well at this point and you can trust them to do the job right.

As for hoods, there are plenty of clean used hoods out there due to many owners going with carbon fiber. You should call Science of Speed and ATR Parts. They keep a decent stock of used NSX body parts. They may have a hood on hand. Going rate these days is about $500 for a clean one, plus shipping. New ones may still be available from Honda Japan for significantly more money, but Acura will say they are discontinued.

It also looks like the upper bumper cover may have been damaged, but it's hard to tell from the picture. It may be tougher to source a replacement part for that- the pop-up bumpers may be discontinued. Not sure.

Finally, keep in mind that because your NSX is R-77 Formula Red, it's going to be pretty tough to get a perfect paint match to the rest of the car, which is faded from the new paint of 30 years ago. More of the car may need to be painted and blended to get an acceptable outcome. This is because the R-77 paint has a magenta-tinted mid coat.

It may be advisable to source/price everything out, talk to Mike at the paint shop to get an idea of what needs to be done and then have Progressive send you a check. My insurance company does that, but not all do.
Thanks for the advice. I haven't yet heard anything from the insurance company. If taking a payout and managing the repairs myself is an option, I'd be interested in contacting the body shop you recommended. I'd appreciate it if you could pass along the name of that body shop.
Mike

You should have a solid diminution of value claim against the carrier of the truck driver. One owner, 28,000 miles..... should have multiple data points to get that value established and the potential impact of having this on the carfax/autocheck.

You should have a solid diminution of value claim against the carrier of the truck driver. One owner, 28,000 miles..... should have multiple data points to get that value established and the potential impact of having this on the carfax/autocheck.
was going to say if it were me I wouldn't report it. Then again, maybe the truck driver wasn't prepared to pay for the damages out of his/her own pocket. And seller might never plan on selling his vehicle.

Thanks for the advice. I haven't yet heard anything from the insurance company. If taking a payout and managing the repairs myself is an option, I'd be interested in contacting the body shop you recommended. I'd appreciate it if you could pass along the name of that body shop.
Mike
It certainly is an option, you can have the inspection at your house or at the body shop. You want to make it clear to the insurance company you don’t want payments issued to shop until you approve the repairs. You can have the payment directly paid to you.

another option is to ask the local Audi dealership who works on the R8....

Just a tip.. your insurance labor rates might not be in line with your shop labor rates. Be sure to have that discussion with your adjuster and shop. You don’t want them end up paying $X per hour while shop is charging more.

You have the right to repair. Get multiple independent quotes from reputable body shops use them to leverage the most out of the insurance company. You don’t need to except there payment plan, or use there approved repair shops. They will cut you a check for all of it upfront as long as you pressure them enough. They don’t like to but they will.

What insurance company you dealing with? Hope it isn’t Geico they are the worst to deal with.

You have the right to repair. Get multiple independent quotes from reputable body shops use them to leverage the most out of the insurance company. You don’t need to except there payment plan, or use there approved repair shops. They will cut you a check for all of it upfront as long as you pressure them enough. They don’t like to but they will.

What insurance company you dealing with? Hope it isn’t Geico they are the worst to deal with.
Actually, I just switched from Geico to Progressive. However, since the guy who backed into me was at fault, I'm filing the claim with his insurance.

Progressive is good they will give you OEM parts to repair. Geico will only give you “like OEM parts” aka Knock offs. So to repair your car properly it costs way more then the “15% or more you save”

Progressive is good they will give you OEM parts to repair. Geico will only give you “like OEM parts” aka Knock offs. So to repair your car properly it costs way more then the “15% or more you save”
I had a choice of filing the claim with my insurance company, Progressive, or the at-fault driver's insurance company, Chubb. I went with Chubb. The Progressive adjuster had a real attitude, plus by going with the other company I don't have a deductible to worry about.

Coverage varies from state to state, policy to policy, carrier to carrier. It’s a good idea to review your policy contract and the other persons contract to see which is best for YOU. I work for one of the largest insurance carriers in the country, I can confirm policy contracts varies from state to state.

Back