• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Don't Laugh: Clear Nail Polish as Clear Coat?

Just curious, can one use clear nail polish on a wheel instead of clear coat or clear lacquer?

I have a few small spots on my orginial OEM wheels where when the oem weights were removed, they left a scratch on the lip. [Since then I have been opting to the sticky type but one piece did fall off .......]

I was told by a repair shop to clean the area with alcohol or lacquer thinner and just apply some clear coating. The clear coat spray cans at Home Depot etc., seem to have a temp limit of 200F .......... do auto repair shops have higher temp products? If that is the limitation why not use clear nail polish?

Come on, all those garage queen detailers, where are you when one needs your advice ....... LOL!

Either I discovered the next best thing to sliced bread and you are jealous :p ........ or it is so stupidly naive of me to think of such a deface that you are rolling your eyes :eek:

Actually, I just talked to a local body shop who said while clear coat used on wheels is tougher than what one buys from Home Depot, for really small scratches, the clear nail polish might work though he has not tried it. I will first test it on the inside of the wheel.

;)

I think nail polish works great for wheels. Sometimes I like hot pink, sometimes red, depends on my mood.:p

I believe nail polish have a lower temp limit compared to clear coat.

My suggestion.
Buy the clearcoat spray paint at home depot and spray it in a small cup. Then use a small brush to touch up the wheel.

I would't use the clear nail polish on the rims. Rims get extremely hot during driving and I would use an engine enamel clear coat. I know Pep Boys has it! I used it on my brake calipers.

I would suggets spraying it in a cup as well and using a brush to apply it. Or mask off the area u want to spray and just spray that. You may also need to wet sand/buff it if you apply a lot and it looks uneven.

Clear nail polish may be a temporary solution, but on a hot surface, it will be just that.

Back