• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

hate that LONG antenna?

i know a lot of NSX owners hate that long antenna..and have replaced it with smarttenna and s2000 antennas...and bunch of other stuff..but if u REALLY want the antenna to never go up at all..just unplug it! this may be a repost but...if u open up the rug like trim on the left side of ur trunk there is a plug that connects to the antenna..just unplug it! i did it and there are no problems at all..and if u want it back just plug it back in...no cutting of trim or wires.. just fold open and unplug....HOWEVER, ur radio will not be as clear! but it will LOOK AT LOT BETTER! if u guys need pics..just let me know :D

I did this a day after I got it. I hated that damn thing so much I could not wait to get an s2000 antenna :)

Reception is not bad for me. Works perfectly fine provided I am not in the country or under a cluster of power lines.

That antenna always makes me laugh - Honda manages to build such an awesome car, hi-tech in every way, then bangs on an antenna that can get intergalactic transmissions.

the LOOOONNNGGG antenna always reminded me of R/C cars. i always used to see NSX's on the road, and think they looked like really COOL r/c cars... haha :D

The mast antenna is 30 inches long. It's not particularly long. And it's only up when you're inside the car with the stereo on. Get a Smartenna and it's only on when the radio portion is on. No big deal.

I agree that the long antenna is visually disrupting. But on a interesting note, I was rear ended by a 18 wheeler on a stop and go traffic. Apparently the driver told me if he had not seen the tip of my antenna, he would have never applied his breaks.

He did break, but it was a tad to late...
info-hit.jpg

hitrear-nsx2.jpg

has anyone added a switch for the 1/2 mast function of the JDM NSXs? Or was it just the Type-Rs that had that? It could even be combined with the smartenna. Anyway, seems like a good solution for those who want to keep the car OEM =)

Is there a how-to or parts list somewhere?

Jeff

jeff_L said:
has anyone added a switch for the 1/2 mast function of the JDM NSXs? Or was it just the Type-Rs that had that? It could even be combined with the smartenna. Anyway, seems like a good solution for those who want to keep the car OEM =)

Jeff

That was the NSX-R. I think that will be sweet. Anyone tried it?

yup depends were you are, but if you arent getting good reception..just plug it back

and by the way thanks whoever YOU are for that negative reputation post about using "YOU" instead of "u".. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

TucAZNSX said:
It obviously depends on where you are. Here in Tucson, it is not a problem at all. The radio stations come in crystal clear.
The NSX stereo contains a "diversity antenna" function. It compares the signal from the mast antenna with the one from the antenna in the upper third of the rear window, and uses whichever signal is better. Those who are closer to the transmission, or whose stations are stronger, or whose terrain is less likely to block signals, will get better reception, perhaps good enough to rely only on the window antenna if the mast antenna is disconnected.

nsxtasy said:
The NSX stereo contains a "diversity antenna" function. It compares the signal from the mast antenna with the one from the antenna in the upper third of the rear window, and uses whichever signal is better. Those who are closer to the transmission, or whose stations are stronger, or whose terrain is less likely to block signals, will get better reception, perhaps good enough to rely only on the window antenna if the mast antenna is disconnected.

I am currently using on the window antenna and I can notice a big drop in reception quality.:( It could just be the location I'm at and the strength of signal being put out by station also.

and by the way thanks whoever YOU are for that negative reputation post about using "YOU" instead of "u"..

I think they should remove that silly rating system- we should not "rate" posts, the purpose is to provide opinions and comments.

jeff_L said:

Jeff
Here and here

One of the first things I did when I got my NSX was to unplug the antenna module. For me that was a matter of fashion over fuction as it looked very hidious and out of place with a tall antenna mast sticking up on a low car. Even in LA, I can still pick up my favorite radio stations, although I maybe listen to the radio about 5% of the time (95% MP3 changer). Although everyone will have different opinions on what to do with their antenna, this was my $.02 :D

nsxtasy said:

Are you sure about the dual antenna? I unplugged it and the 'AM' radio stations do not work. Not that I care about 'AM', but shouldn't the 'AM' still work with the second antenna.

Back