• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Car Dealers, What A Bunch Of

--------. Went to trade in my 91 NSX with 104,800 miles on it and offered me 13,000. A couple of other dealers offered me between 16000-19000. :mad:

If it is in excellent shape, you could probably get $23-25,000 for it. However, depending on what you are trading for, the tax credit you will get for the trade in might be worth it (@$19,000).

Alot of dealers dont know what the NSX is! I cant tell you how many times Ive been at an auction and dealers walk around an NSX and say "what is this..." or "ive never seen one of these before". As for as the wholesale - trade in amount; you must look at the whole deal for the dealer. Assume the dealer has never traded in a high-mileage older NSX. If he's afraid of the car, obviously he's going to try and "steal" it. As a dealer I hate to appraise a car and lose money at the auction when I go to sell it. People always say, "dealers are crooks" or "they make tons of money on every car we sell" but you are all wrong! Im not saying dealers dont make money, TRUST ME, we do but look at this common scenario. Lets say you look on the internet to buy a TL or RSX or MDX or whatever and find the invoice price :frown: We all know dealers have hold back but how about how many times do we sell cars at invoice? Id say 75% of the time, the others vary in price but everyone does their research now-a-days. So maybe we make $1000 on one of these cars after subtracting for PDI, clean, etc. Now we give you good money for your trade because "KELLY said it was worth...." What does she know about what cars are worth. So we try to make you happy, give you close to what you want and if we loose money at the auction, we lose money.. Yes we loose money, its for real. Before you go bashing dealers, maybe you should try buying your cars off individuals! People say we are "crooks and liars", your everyday- run-of -the mill guy/gal will put you together so fast your head will spin. At least if we do something wrong you can sue us or work something out. Anytime a customer has ever had an issue Ive resolved it properly and done what ever it takes to make matter right. :wink:

sutphen77 said:
--------. Went to trade in my 91 NSX with 104,800 miles on it and offered me 13,000. A couple of other dealers offered me between 16000-19000. :mad:

If you're not happy with their offer then sell it on your own.

I dont think you are making a proper statement simply because it didnt go your way. :rolleyes: .

spartan2-3 said:
If you're not happy with their offer then sell it on your own.

I dont think you are making a proper statement simply because it didnt go your way. :rolleyes: .
Thank you Spartan2-3, furthermore I own both an auto dealership and an NSX myself...$19,000 is VERY fair from a dealer on a trade-in* (I personally wouldn't of given more than $17K with those miles and that *color*...and that's assuming the car was in great shape...$19K only for "re-sale" RED) You typify the unknowledgable consumer who walks on a dealer lot stereotyping the industry & personel and seeing things only their way....you have to realize I (and ANY other dealer) can simply go to the high-line auto auctions and pick up 104K, black NSX's *all day long* for the high teens....so why would they go thru the trouble of paying MORE for a walk-ins' car (whom isn't even going to buy a car from them! -no revenue)....everyone's entitled to their "opinion's" but at least GET INFORMED before making them...

...if every dollar is important to you (or your cheap) why don't you go thru the hassle of preparing your car for sale yourself, advertising it, getting back to people who want to see it, making appointments (in many cases to come to your home to see / test drive it which can be a security issue for some), fliter thru the dreamers and flakes, and sitting on the car till it sells (which an exotic sportscar in the mid of winter tends to do)....some people's time is worth something ($$$) ;)

Last edited:
spartan, I think I was making a very proper statement, 13,000 was insulting. How can one dealer offer me 19000 and another 18000 and this guy offer me 13000, and this was before I told them what kind of vehicle I was trading on.

sutphen77 said:
...How can one dealer offer me 19000 and another 18000 and this guy offer me 13000...

If he doesn't want your business he can offer you whatever he wants. Sometimes it's not always us chosing the dealer, it's the dealer chosing the customer.

sutphen77 said:
thats what i figured but it also is lowered, 17" and 18" rims with large tires, I know the dealer dont care about that though.
Those items don't increase the car's market value by any significant amount.

DocL said:
If he doesn't want your business he can offer you whatever he wants. Sometimes it's not always us chosing the dealer, it's the dealer chosing the customer.
Bingo ;)

I've found it best not to take business with ANY car dealer personally.
This is a business transaction. Your bloodpressure will be better off understanding that it's the dealers job to get your trade in for as low as possible. And, to sell a car for as much as he can get for it.

Same thing happened to me with a trade in one time.
It's up to you to say yes or no.

Hey sutphen77,

I probably would have offered around $17-18k as well.

Casper91 said:
I've found it best not to take business with ANY car dealer personally.
This is a business transaction. Your bloodpressure will be better off understanding that it's the dealers job to get your trade in for as low as possible. And, to sell a car for as much as he can get for it.

Same thing happened to me with a trade in one time.
It's up to you to say yes or no.
Good luck having the average comsumer get financed on his new 11 year old NSX....otherwise fork over $25,000 in cold hard cash if your buying from a private owner* Not to mention the sale is *immediate* if a dealer purchases from you...WITH accountability.(You can be sure of the funds*) It shouldn't be hard to hear testimonials of people who've litterally been taken for thousands dealing with people off the street. They're pro's to dealing with a registered/bonded auto dealer...always remember the adage; "you get what you pay for"

sutphen77 said:
How can one dealer offer me 19000 and another 18000 and this guy offer me 13000
That can easily happen. One dealer (like Michael at Bridgewater) may have a good idea of how much NSXs (of a given vintage, mileage, condition, etc) sell for. So, knowing that he can re-sell the car fairly easily and make a few grand on the sale, he can offer you something in the $17-19K range. Another dealer may rarely if ever see an NSX, and have no idea what it's worth or how long it's going to sit on his lot; someone like that may offer you significantly less, to cover the risk he's taking. Granted, some of that difference in price is due to his lack of experience, but hey - it's the same thing with selling a car as buying a car; you're going to find different prices and you need to shop around. As Casper91 put it so well, it's no big deal; don't take it personally.

NSXTASY_MD said:
Good luck having the average comsumer get financed on his new 11 year old NSX....otherwise fork over $25,000 in cold hard cash if your buying from a private owner* Not to mention the sale is *immediate* if a dealer purchases from you...WITH accountability.(You can be sure of the funds*) It shouldn't be hard to hear testimonials of people who've litterally been taken for thousands dealing with people off the street. They're pro's to dealing with a registered/bonded auto dealer...always remember the adage; "you get what you pay for"

Yeah, I don't think this disputes anything I was saying.
There is financing available on a used cars. That's how I bought my first sports car from a private party. I had to lay out 20% of the price, financed the rest. 10 year old 300 zx.

Dealing with private parties is scary. You are absolutely right in people getting ripped off. You will get less for your car when trading with a dealer - but gain peace of mind.

Im dealing with what turned out to be a sleazy dealership, even 32 days after buying my Nsx.

I traded in my 03 Maxima for my 2002 Nsx.

My original loan company STILL has not received a payment from the sleazy dealership and they are making up stories about why they havent gotten them yet, etc. So now im having to make a payment on my old maxima (thats now in Atlanta GA mind you !!) that I dont own, or drive anymore so it doesnt hit my credit that I missed a payment.

Its my first used car buying experience in years, and thank god my Nsx has been a dream come true so far otherwise id probably snap due to the incompetence of this dealership.

Fyi, Im staying on top of these fockers and have already gotten a few things taken care of they have been slacking off on. Im going to continue to call, and pester them regarding the payoff. More than likely ill stop by there on wednesday to follow up in person with them.

Dealers aren't all bad. The bad ones give them ALL a bad name though. I was ready to kill the guy at Infiniti when we were buying the wife's FX45.

jgtcnsx said:
i actually heard they reduce the price for none oem parts
Depending on the nature of the modification, that's true....anything that would adversely affect passing the local "safety inspection" or "emmission" will effectively lower its value to a dealer....no matter how "cool" or much more power it gives.

NSXTASY_MD said:
Depending on the nature of the modification, that's true....anything that would adversely affect passing the local "safety inspection" or "emmission" will effectively lower its value to a dealer....no matter how "cool" or much more power it gives.
The other issue in reducing market value is that many buyers may prefer a car that is not modded - so that the mods can reduce the potential number of people who might be interested in the car, which has the effect of making the car harder to sell and creating the need to reduce the price.

However, that being said, I don't think 17"/18" wheels reduce the value. Lowering springs - maybe, maybe not.

MODERNCEO,

Payoff's are very difficult. Some banks have 2 payoff address's-one for overnight and 1 for regular mail. If you mail it to the wrong one they juts simply send it back. If the account # is wrong for your loan then the check gets returned, and most importantly if your salesperson doesnt figure out the payoff correctly including the proper "per diem" the title is held until the exact payoff amount is recieved! either way; not your fault but trust me, its a pain in the ass. I once traded in a 2003 Mustang GT and the bank would release the title becuase one the the girls in my office shorted the check by a whopping .01 cent!! Strange but true... :confused: We are not all scum. I feel as though Im representing all the dealers here :smile: :smile:

Back