• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

$66K for '03 NSX? Advice

eg9

Contributing Member
A 2003 Silver/Silver NSX-T w/ 13K miles (no mods). Is the price of $66,900 a really good deal or not?

Thanks

Sounds like you are selling yours. Price sounds OK from what I have seen lately.

Thanks guys. I'm thinking of selling and moving into an earlier NSX. I'm leasing right now and my payoff is right around $66K. I was looking at advertising it for that price so that someone would purchase directly from Honda Financial. I don't really want to take out a $66K loan then sell it. I HATE the fact that I can't modify my NSX. I REALLY wanted to put on some upgraded wheels, satellite radio, new stereo, lower it 1/2 inch with new shocks/springs, etc.. Oh Well...

eg9 said:
I REALLY wanted to put on some upgraded wheels, satellite radio, new stereo, lower it 1/2 inch with new shocks/springs, etc.. Oh Well...

Who says you cant modify your 03 ?
I have a 02 and I have new wheels on the way and will soon be installing new springs and or struts. Everything youve mentioned is possible.

NsXMas said:
He's leasing the 03 right now, and is not sure if he's going to keep it.
silver/silver sounds interesting!

I'm in the mkt for a 02

silver leather interior?

Can you email me some pics?
[email protected]

13K miles....

but for sure you can mod the crap out of lease...just return to stock at term end.

qirex said:
silver/silver sounds interesting!

I'm in the mkt for a 02

silver leather interior?

Can you email me some pics?
[email protected]

13K miles....

but for sure you can mod the crap out of lease...just return to stock at term end.

I thought you stated in earlier posts the NSX was played out, sad and outdated etc. If this is how you feel, why would you want to buy one? Just curious. :confused:

I keep flipping back/forth.

What I really want is a 05 997S Cab, however I just bought a second home and would rather spend money to make money than simply lose it on depreciation.

I almost bought a 996 GT3 body 03 for $72k.

I ran out of the porsche dealer, and the next day was able to compare the 996 to nsx head to head and they're BOTH kinda dated (interior, HP) but still great cars. However, i dont see nsx EVERYWHERE.

So yeah, i';m confused...i was in hawaii for 2 weeks driving around a PT cruiser conv.

Just came back to my 350Z and wondered "whats wrong with this car that an NSX will solve"?

So yeah, i'm coming to terms with the fact that i want to spend some of my newly made $$$$ on some "showoff" stuff. Lame, sad, vain...but true.

Whats wrong with the Z is that everyone has one.

Same thing keeps me out of the vettes.

So i'm seeking exclusivisity - without paying stupid money for a car marginally better than what i already have.

just odd...

qirex said:
I keep flipping back/forth.

What I really want is a 05 997S Cab, however I just bought a second home and would rather spend money to make money than simply lose it on depreciation.

Comparing an investment on a property to an investment on an automobile is just ludicrous. :rolleyes:

qirex said:
I almost bought a 996 GT3 body 03 for $72k.

I ran out of the porsche dealer, and the next day was able to compare the 996 to nsx head to head and they're BOTH kinda dated (interior, HP) but still great cars. However, i dont see nsx EVERYWHERE.

A $140k+ 996 TT has relatively the same interior as a $70k+ C4 and others. And as far as the NSX goes, it never was meant to be trendy or such. It was designed and engineered to be an icon. 15-16yrs and it's even in the same breath as current, contemporary cars... Kudos Honda! :cool:

qirex said:
So yeah, i';m confused...i was in hawaii for 2 weeks driving around a PT cruiser conv.

Just came back to my 350Z and wondered "whats wrong with this car that an NSX will solve"?

There's nothing wrong w/ a 350Z! It's trendy, eye catching, stylish, reasonably priced, and makes one feel like they spent alot more! :redface:

qirex said:
So yeah, i'm coming to terms with the fact that i want to spend some of my newly made $$$$ on some "showoff" stuff. Lame, sad, vain...but true.

Whats wrong with the Z is that everyone has one.

Same thing keeps me out of the vettes.

So i'm seeking exclusivisity - without paying stupid money for a car marginally better than what i already have.

My friend, you are quite confused to say the leasts. And of-course 'Prime and the many members here can help you in regards to gaining an insight into appreciating the NSX, but they can't make decisions for you based on the conflicting thoughts you seem to be having.

-Have you seen a NSX up close and personal? (not just in passing)

-Have you sat in a NSX?

-Have you driven a NSX?

Yes to all three of the questions above, and you won't even be mentioning it in the same breath as a 350Z (no diss on the 350Z at all!). Comparing the two would be on par w/ comparing a Stealth Fighter to a Boeing 777. And I won't budge on that anology. :biggrin:

If it's a dollars and sense game w/ you... you should know the 1991-2001 NSX's had no major cosmetic changes, and the 1997-2001 got a bigger engine w/ more h.p. as well as a 6spd. The 1995+ models got a T-top (coupes were much rarer thereon).

A well maintained, good-miles 1991-1994 coupe can be had from $27.5k-37.5k.
A well maintained, good-miles 1995-1996 NSX-T can be had for $35k-40k.
A well maintianed 1997-01 NSX-T's can be had for $45k-60k (some still under warranty).
The 2002+ NSX's of-course are going to be upper $60k's and up. :smile:

Don't get caught up in the numbers game & 'opinions' in the magazines. It's pointless. Step upto the plate and take your own swings at what you want, why you want it, and how you will get it. Word up, my brotha'... hehe! :wink:

NOTE:
[FONT=[FONT=Garamond]eg9, If the 2003 Silverstone will still be available in the summer, I'm very interested. Perhaps we can exchange some details/info. [/font]

Last edited:
Thank you all for your input on this. It hurts to know that the sticker price for my NSX was $23K MORE than it is worth now, and the car is actually cleaner than when I purchased it new(I'm obsessive)... but then again... I've owned two Esprits and truly understand the definition of depreciation :smile:

well I've always lusted after nsxs.

A year ago my next door neighbor let me drive his 91. Now, I drive that car all the time. I initially turned to porsches after being let down by the lack of low rpm torque (when compared to the Z).

Then I went to test drive an F355. It was a great ride, but the $12K For the 30K svc woke me up (need to drop engine to do valve adj). So the dealer had this clean orange 03 NSX on hand w/ comptech exh fitted.

I drove that car and liked it better than the 355. Hunt for nsx back on.

Then I drove several 997 (base + S) and was absolutely smitten by the cocoa leather/sand beige full leather interior. BUt....I had to wait 6 months for my car and theres the issue of no targa/conv...yet.

So I started checking out nsxs again. I figured that I could install the eclipse nav to bring the nsx into the 20th century ( my Z and fx35 both have nav and i swear buy it).

So then I figured if I'll drop 60K for a honda...better go check out the used germans.

Drove a bunch of 996 and NSX back to back. The 996 interior is prolly on par, mebbe better than most pre-97 nsx.

Then i drove an 02 (yellow/yellow) back to back with the 996 and found the 02+ interiors to be a bit better than the 996.

Performance-wise i think both nsx and 996/997 base are equal.

After driving a convertible around hawaii for the last 2 weeks, I know i definitely need a conv/targa. So leaning back to nsx even heavier.

I was so escited for the HSC and would have snapped one up right away, but it just seems that only the 1st two rounds in the upcoming supercar wars have been fired. Competition is good, (911 vs vette) but we need more competitors...aston amv8, VW gallardo...where are you. I've got $90K to play with, but really dont want to buy something now, only to sell in 8 months when what i really want comes in (997 cab).

How much should an nsx depreciate over a year?
I've seen posts of ppl buying/selling 02 nsxs for $56K....is that real?

Just BUY one already! You won't regret it :smile:

eg9 said:
It hurts to know that the sticker price for my NSX was $23K MORE than it is worth now, and the car is actually cleaner than when I purchased it new(I'm obsessive)... but then again... I've owned two Esprits and truly understand the definition of depreciation :smile:
Then I guess your definition of depreciation is different from mine. Because I define depreciation as the difference between the price for which the car can be bought when new (NOT the sticker price) and the price for which the car can be sold some years later. If you overpaid when you bought the car (you didn't REALLY pay full sticker price, did you?) then the amount by which you overpaid is not a component of depreciation (in my definition).

qirex said:
How much should an nsx depreciate over a year?
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=376630&postcount=7

Got any pics of the silver interior?

squid2004 said:
Got any pics of the silver interior?

7797MVC-011X-med.JPG

7797MVC-005X-med.JPG

7797MVC-012X-med.JPG

$66k for a 2003 sounds like alot to me! Ive got brand new 2005's for $81.5k

VampNSX said:
what do you guys think on the price of this.

41K for a 91 NSX with 22K miles and has all the updates done.
I think you should check it against the Pricing section of the FAQ. ;)

BRIDGEWATER ACURA said:
$66k for a 2003 sounds like alot to me! Ive got brand new 2005's for $81.5k
I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Someone can buy a new one for $81,500, or save $15,500 by buying a used one. So...? :confused:

ken, 2 years older and 13k miles for 15k....

Okay... Show me a 2003 with 13K Miles for under $66K. I've seen more of them in the high $60's and low $70's. If there are some, I would start asking some questions.

I've been looking at many internet sales, and many 2002 NSX's are going for mid to high $50's, so why can't a car that is one whole year newer go into the $60's.

BTW- I've seen several 2005 NSX's for $79K... Can you beat that?
CARS.COM
2003 Acura NSX T $84,935 12,242 Niello Acura Porsche Coupe Grand Prix White 189 mi.
2003 Acura NSX T $73,990 28,955 Legend Auto Coupe ORANGE 187 mi.
2003 Acura NSX T $73,988 8,906 Highline Motors Coupe BLACK 839 mi.
2003 Acura NSX T $73,000 3,000 Adcox Imports, Inc. Coupe BLACK 1,903 mi.
2003 Acura NSX T $69,995 15,817 Sterling McCall Acura Coupe Berlina Black 1,473 mi.

AUTOTRADE.COM
Featured Listings

year Acura NSX $69,500
price 2,500
mileage 171.30 mi
from ZIP Private
seller

PRIVATE SELLER

year Acura NSX TARGA
VIN: JH4NA21633T000111 $74,990
price 28,955
mileage 184.42 mi
from ZIP Dealer
seller

LEGEND AUTOView Inventory

year Acura NSX TARGA
VIN: JH4NA21623T000147 $84,935
price 12,242
mileage 186.59 mi
from ZIP Dealer
seller

NIELLO ACURA PORSCHE

Acura Certified Used Vehicles

year Acura NSX TARGA
VIN: JH4NA216X3T000008 $77,995
price 11,850
mileage 204.88 mi
from ZIP Dealer
seller

PALOMINO MOTOR CORPView Inventory

year Acura NSX TARGA
VIN: JH4NA126X3T000003 $64,950
price 7,000 (Automatic)
mileage 835.89 mi
from ZIP Dealer
seller

FULTONS USED CARS INC.View Inventory

More Photos 2003
year Acura NSX TARGA
VIN: JH4NA21643T000036 $73,988
price 8,906
mileage 840.78 mi
from ZIP Dealer
seller

HIGHLINE MOTORSSee Our Specials

More Photos 2003
year Acura NSX TARGA
VIN: JH4NA21623T000150 $79,900
price 2,792
mileage 1492.62 mi
from ZIP Dealer
seller

HONDA OF CLEAR LAKEView Our Inventory

Standard Listings

year Acura NSX $69,995
price N/A
mileage 186.59 mi
from ZIP Dealer
seller
NIELLO ACURA PORSCH

SHOULD I KEEP GOING.......

EG

eg9 said:
Okay... Show me a 2003 with 13K Miles for under $66K.

< ad listings deleted >
In all fairness, you are ignoring the difference between ASKING prices and SELLING prices. When you ask what a car is worth, I assume you are referring to SELLING prices. Ad listings show ASKING prices. These are customarily posted with the expectation that they will be negotiated downward for the actual sale, with 5-10 percent a typical amount of downward movement. So cars listed for $69-70K can very likely be bought for under $66K. Also, anyone can ASK whatever they want for a car; they can post an ad for $100K - that doesn't mean that the car will sell.

When I see a bunch of listings on Autotrader, I can tell you what a realistic SELLING price is. I start with cars of the same year and approximate mileage. I look at the general distribution of the prices, and eliminate any car that is not representative (such as the automatic, or something heavily modded, or unusually low or high mileage). I then toss out the top quarter to one third of the prices as "wishful thinking". What's left is the representative range of ASKING prices. Subtract 5-10 percent for the difference between asking and selling prices, and you get an estimate of what the car realistically might be sold for.

For example, right now on Autotrader you have 7 2003 NSXs (excluding the one with the automatic and the one with 28K+ miles). Two are $69-70K, two are $72-74K, and three are higher in price. So I would toss out the last three, and say that asking prices are typically $69-74K. I would then conclude that most of these cars can be bought for 5-10 percent less than this, which means $62-70K. The $66K you mention is right in the middle of this range - which is why I said that it is a fair price, neither a great bargain for the buyer nor a steal for the seller. Frankly, if I were selling a 2003 NSX-T with above-average miles (e.g. 13K), and someone offered me $64K for it, I'd accept the offer without any hesitation, and I'd be very happy.

Of course, you don't have to take anybody's word for this. If you're considering selling your car, list it with whatever asking price you want - $69K, $75K, or more. If you end up selling it for something higher than $64-66K, more power to you! And if you don't, you can always lower the price after a while. Just don't be surprised if you find that this description of the market turns out to be very accurate.

Back