• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Gen one FL to France

Hey everyone,
I was a member quite some time ago, but dropped out. I am fortunate enough to be the owner of an 2004 NSX T in imola orange pearl.
I’d really like to bring her over to Bordeaux France with me but there are quite a few restrictions on shipping cars from the US into France.
Does anyone have any advice or experience with this?
Thanks for your input!
Francesca

Eager to hear this answer, although doubtful I'd bring my NSX. Are you an EU resident with dual citizenship?

There are small things you must adapt so the car is road legal here. Importing cars from the USA is common so there are companies specialized in this precisely, you should really ask them. Should be easy for you as the car was sold here too so it's just a matter of doing these small adaptations (I can recall vaguely something about blinker repeaters and licence plate format). Of course you'll need all the original paperwork in order to register it here (and get a "carte grise").

I think that the processus is easier (less modifications needed) when you come as resident (your car is a "moving good" and not a pure "import").

Thanks Zoom and Asylum… I really don’t want to give her up, she was a birthday present to myself in 2004- one I’ve never regretted.

I've helped a friend of mine import a motorbike in France a couple of years ago.
The French authorities wil require a "Certificat de conformité" to prove the car conforms to EU standards.
Honda France is the place to go to to get the document.
I know these guys quite well and could ask them what needs to be done?
The serial number of the car will be required I'm sure.

CB72… that would be amazing if you could find out or put me in touch with them. Appreciate the help.

Cesca, I'll give them a call on monday and will keep you informed.
Shipment should not be an issue with the right insurance.

PM sent

Hey everyone,
I was a member quite some time ago, but dropped out. I am fortunate enough to be the owner of an 2004 NSX T in imola orange pearl.
I’d really like to bring her over to Bordeaux France with me but there are quite a few restrictions on shipping cars from the US into France.
Does anyone have any advice or experience with this?
Thanks for your input!
Francesca
Is the car in Florida?

Did you see my pm?

I was planning to move to EU (Finland) a few years back but had change of plans. Did some research and was going to use A.S. Motorsport (active in NSX community) in NL to help with the import process - they were incredibly helpful in providing info so if/when I make the move, I am going to use their services. Their transporter also quoted about €1.600 from Ohio to A.S. Motorsport - this was 2021 so costs might be different.

Here is the info I got from Adnan at A.S.:

Are you taking your NSX with you as a part of your personal effects during immigration? (< that's a procedure that exempts you taxes and certain inspections)
To qualify for this you'll need to have had the NSX registered in the states on your name 3 years and it needs to arrive with the rest of your belongings (for example furniture etc would fall in that tax exemption)

If that doesn't apply, and you are importing it as a regular individual.
Value of the car + transport = total customs value 10% duty will be charged, then 21% VAT will be charged
Then your NSX will have a EU customs clearance document, you can then go to the registration step in which you have two methods.
  1. Having the car inspected at the RDW (DMV) main test center in Lelystad, €900-1200 ish affair BUT they will take a day to completely examine that your car meets standards of it's production year.
    • If it's a 1991 for example there is quite some flexibility in emissions and sound will be a bigger factor, that said it's to a extent up-to the government inspector i've had luck with them and have had some overly strict ones
    • Do note often they will require here to convert the car to a Honda NSX in terms of lighting (rear fog light, no red side markers, front fog light or daytime running light, EU approved headlights)
      • I've done that a few times. It's not that difficult. I've got a few tricks to make a NSX temporally compliant.
  2. German method, import the car do all customs work in NL then apply for German registration and get a TUV inspection this is a lot easier and will be basic safety and paperwork inspection, afterwards import the NSX as a German car which is €150-200 and a hour of work
    • Occasionally we can get cars inspected here by a TUV approved inspector those generally charge 1300-1500 but sometimes we have to ship cars to Germany have it done there that is 1000-1200 it's actually a very common method for importing specialty cars here
    • This I've done quite a few times with exotic cars that potentially would have had issues here with exhaust, lighting, etc
      • Do note: TUV inspectors will want to see "EC" approvals but we can have individual approvals done on certain parts.
Once the NSX has a Dutch plate, there are few formalities (for example making sure they give you a exemption on EU plates, so you can run US sized plates) applying for your BPM taxes (luxury tax, which depreciates to 0% over 20 year period so any NSX will be zero or a tiny amount on a 2005.

Then you'd need a regular APK (MOT) which is a very straightforward safety inspection which every car needs to have done yearly. I do those here any car at any time should meet that for safety reasons.

Well lot of steps but sounds doable. Im trying to synchronize my official move as a resident with getting my car there. Our household goods are going with my husbands visa status as resident now, but im waiting on mine so I can take my car at that point once I get details worked out for transport. Car had been in my name only.
Thanks for the tip on AS Motorsport. It’s sounding like I can get her there after all.

Adnan is the real deal, so is AS

Do note often they will require here to convert the car to a Honda NSX in terms of lighting (rear fog light, no red side markers, front fog light or daytime running light, EU approved headlights)
If you import to France directly, IIRC that's the only thing you'll have to do - no TUV like in Germany - just get the lights and blinkers sorted out. It will have to pass emissions (and MOT) but that should be straightforward for a stock-ish NSX.
For the rear fog light that might be tricky as you'd have to get a different harness, and a center console button (as in EU or JDM models). I suppose you can affix one of these "universal" fog lights down the bumper otherwise you'd have to change the rear light housing too. I've seen a few US-imported Acuras here in France and they all have the USDM rear lights so I suppose they all went the "temporary lights" route.

Back