• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

ABS Unit making pumping noise more frequently....please help

//Exercising the ABS simply means braking hard enough to cause a skid. The ABS will deploy, which causes all four solenoids to oscillate, which in turn causes the O-rings to scrub themselves, which (almost always) causes the crap to disintegrate into brown goo. Replacing the dark fluid is recommended once it looks like old motor oil.//
worked perfectly for me on my 1992 NSX. could not be happier. thank you. (i did the braking on a steep paved street down a hill while raining).

My car has been making a chirping sound from the front and I suspect it's the ABS after doing some research but still not 100% sure. Initially I thought the sound was a power steering pump/belt slipping because that's what it sounded like but remembered that my 99 has electric power steering. The sound first occurred one day after initial start up. Today I stepped on the brake hard and it felt like my brakes had air in the system because it didn't stop as fast as I was expecting and then the chirping sound started. That's what made me realize it's most likely the ABS unit. I did several more hard stops from about 60 and each time I was able to get the chirping sound to activate. Strangely it did feel like braking was starting to get better but not 100% sure. Do these symptoms sound like an ABS issue? Should I just flush the brakes first and see how that goes?

My car has been making a chirping sound from the front and I suspect it's the ABS after doing some research but still not 100% sure. Initially I thought the sound was a power steering pump/belt slipping because that's what it sounded like but remembered that my 99 has electric power steering. The sound first occurred one day after initial start up. Today I stepped on the brake hard and it felt like my brakes had air in the system because it didn't stop as fast as I was expecting and then the chirping sound started. That's what made me realize it's most likely the ABS unit. I did several more hard stops from about 60 and each time I was able to get the chirping sound to activate. Strangely it did feel like braking was starting to get better but not 100% sure. Do these symptoms sound like an ABS issue? Should I just flush the brakes first and see how that goes?

It is certainly ABS. How long did the pump run for? Less than 30 seconds each time?

Without hard braking, how often does it happen when you first drive the car? Every day? A week? A month?

This will help narrow down if you have a problem, or if a simple flush is all that's needed.

It is certainly ABS. How long did the pump run for? Less than 30 seconds each time?

Without hard braking, how often does it happen when you first drive the car? Every day? A week? A month?

This will help narrow down if you have a problem, or if a simple flush is all that's needed.
The sound lasted about 5 seconds. The last few days I've been braking hard whenever I can and it's pretty much the same each time. Prior to me figuring out that the sound is ABS related, the sound occurred once a month or less upon cold start. Each time was also about 5 seconds, 10 max. I didn't know what it was at the time but don't really recall braking hard the day before. Just normal driving. I daily drive my car.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Maybe I missed it, but if everything is working correctly with the ABS system, when should the pump run? If I let my car sit for a month it will run for 30 secs or so once I start moving then will not turn on again unless it sits for another month.

The sound lasted about 5 seconds. The last few days I've been braking hard whenever I can and it's pretty much the same each time. Prior to me figuring out that the sound is ABS related, the sound occurred once a month or less upon cold start. Each time was also about 5 seconds, 10 max. I didn't know what it was at the time but don't really recall braking hard the day before. Just normal driving. I daily drive my car.

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

That sounds like everything is operating as designed. The pump should run after ABS is activated, and running for about 5 seconds upon driving once a month seems pretty normal to me. Maybe others can chime in, but I think its fine...

Maybe I missed it, but if everything is working correctly with the ABS system, when should the pump run? If I let my car sit for a month it will run for 30 secs or so once I start moving then will not turn on again unless it sits for another month.

I think your interval of once a month is ok, but the 30 seconds is a bit concerning. I think it's only supposed to run for less than 10 seconds. If it takes 30 seconds to build pressure, maybe you have a problem developing with your accumulator or seals?

I installed Warren's o-ring kit, I was very pleased with the results.

Before the install, the abs pump would run every time I started the car if it sat for more than 1 day, and it would run for 15-30 seconds. After the kit, it runs MAYBE once per month for less than 5 seconds. Arguably the best value repair i've done on the car.

That sounds like everything is operating as designed. The pump should run after ABS is activated, and running for about 5 seconds upon driving once a month seems pretty normal to me. Maybe others can chime in, but I think its fine...

Thanks! I guess a flush can't hurt either way...

Not to sound lazy :tongue: , but does anyone know of a place that will provide labor services for rebuilding the ABS Unit?
@ Warrenw - do you want to take on a side business to rebuild these things?

Not to sound lazy :tongue: , but does anyone know of a place that will provide labor services for rebuilding the ABS Unit?
@ Warrenw - do you want to take on a side business to rebuild these things?

No. I am in Canada, the shipping costs and US border issues would make this impossible to manage. Shipping to the US in the last couple of years is a real hardship. US customs is suspicious of everything these days. Too much trouble.
I am going to stop shipping the o-ring kits as well. (for the same reasons.) When my stock of kits is depleted, that's it.

Last edited:
No. I am in Canada, the shipping costs and US border issues would make this impossible to manage. Shipping to the US in the last couple of years is a real hardship. US customs is suspicious of everything these days. Too much trouble.
I am going to stop shipping the o-ring kits as well. (for the same reasons.) When my stock of kits is depleted, that's it.

Hi Warrenw, My NSX squeals like a piglet every 20-30 seconds while driving and not sure if its something your kit would fix or if my ABS system is just done at this point? Thanks

screeching abs pump

Many thanks to all of you for input on the matter , just read through all of the comments and input on this issue. Mine was simple !! “Exercise the abs” !! Problem solved !!! Many thanks s-

Hi Warrenw, My NSX squeals like a piglet every 20-30 seconds while driving and not sure if its something your kit would fix or if my ABS system is just done at this point? Thanks

Could be a few causes. Best case is that one of the solenoids is stuck open and is letting pressure leak, which is causing the pump to constantly recharge the accumulator. Flushing and activating each solenoid via the DanOLand method might solve it. Next is the o-rings might be leaking and again causing a pressure drop and activation of the pump. Warren's kit will fix that. Finally, it could be the accumulator. There is a rubber/neoprene (not sure what it made out of) bladder inside the metal globe that rots out over time. If it's shot, you will need a new or good used accumulator. If it were me, I would find a good used unit, strip it and rebuild it with Warren's kit and then just swap it out with the old one, which you can sell off to recover some of the cost. It can be done for a lot less money than the full 2000+ ABS upgrade.

I ordered Warren's kit and will be rebuilding my ABS this winter - hopefully my accumulator is ok but worst case I see them for sale here and there. fingers crossed.....

Could be a few causes. Best case is that one of the solenoids is stuck open and is letting pressure leak, which is causing the pump to constantly recharge the accumulator. Flushing and activating each solenoid via the DanOLand method might solve it. Next is the o-rings might be leaking and again causing a pressure drop and activation of the pump. Warren's kit will fix that. Finally, it could be the accumulator. There is a rubber/neoprene (not sure what it made out of) bladder inside the metal globe that rots out over time. If it's shot, you will need a new or good used accumulator. If it were me, I would find a good used unit, strip it and rebuild it with Warren's kit and then just swap it out with the old one, which you can sell off to recover some of the cost. It can be done for a lot less money than the full 2000+ ABS upgrade.

Back