• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Crank Pulley Holding tool - where to find?

Hi all,

So far, I've spend at least 4 hours trying to locate the correct tool (harmonic balancer holding tool) to complete the timing belt removal. Yes, I've searched this website and found several references to the tool ( Honda PN 07NAB-001030A) but have not been able to find it in stock at any Honda/Acura dealer (at least 10 different places). I have looked elsewhere and have found the 50mm version (What I use for my Honda Civic)....but all of those tool places also list the tool is used for the NSX which is know is not true.

So, the question for you is do you know where I can locate the Harmonic Balancer holding tool and purchase it (No, I don't want to borrow it - I like to have the tools always around) today and have it sent out tomorrow? All the Honda/Acura dealers told me that it would probably take at least two weeks to order, then a week or so to get it to me. I can't wait for three weeks to get this finish (I thought the Civic tool would fit).

I've called Mack Tools....the part number hdh6010 (that I got from a thread on Prime) is 50mm (I called to confirm....it is 50mm). I've called Snap-On (Part number YA6010) and have not received a return call yet. I've even called SPX Kent-Moore and they do not have any such part/tool for Honda's.

Help please! I can't wait for almost a month to get this done. Thanks for your help.

Amazon.com sells a pulley tool that fits a manual transmission NSX perfectly and its only $19.99. I just used one last month when I replaced the TB on my own car and it worked great. It won't work on an automatic trans car, though. The pulley hex on a manual car is 45 mm and on an automatic its 50mm (see the attached Acura document)

Amazon also has a valve adjust tool for $11.99 that I also found to work well.

Alltrade 648818 Honda Crank Pulley Holding Tool
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...8379-6554548?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=228013

Alltrade 648822 Honda Valve Adjustment Tool
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...6554548?_encoding=UTF8&s=hi&v=glance&n=228013

Attachments

• B92-029.pdf
    72.7 KB · Views: 441
XperiMental said:
Amazon.com sells a pulley tool that fits a manual transmission NSX perfectly and its only $19.99. I just used one last month when I replaced the TB on my own car and it worked great. It won't work on an automatic trans car, though. The pulley hex on a manual car is 45 mm and on an automatic its 50mm (see the attached Acura document)

Amazon also has a valve adjust tool for $11.99 that I also found to work well.

Alltrade 648818 Honda Crank Pulley Holding Tool
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...8379-6554548?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=228013

Alltrade 648822 Honda Valve Adjustment Tool
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...6554548?_encoding=UTF8&s=hi&v=glance&n=228013

Dont buy that crank tool ,it doesnt fit the NSX . I bought one and it turns out its a 45mm and the NSX needs a 50mm.

Zennsx said:
Dont buy that crank tool ,it doesnt fit the NSX . I bought one and it turns out its a 45mm and the NSX needs a 50mm.

It does fit some NSXs. I have a 97 with a manual transmission, and it fits just fine. If you have an automatic or a 91 with an engine number before C30A1-1300798, then yes you need the 50mm version. Check out ExperiMental's attached B92-029.pdf file.

dnicho05 said:
It does fit some NSXs. I have a 97 with a manual transmission, and it fits just fine. If you have an automatic or a 91 with an engine number before C30A1-1300798, then yes you need the 50mm version. Check out ExperiMental's attached B92-029.pdf file.

I stand corrected. I guess my MT NSX engine falls below that C #. If anyone wants the 45mm I'll sell it for a song, PM me.

This hasn't been updated in 4 years, but in case anyone else stumbles upon this thread...

When I needed the 45mm tool (early years manual tranny) it was just nowhere to be found. The Amazon link was live, but "not available". After a bit of searching I found this one on ebay, which was professionally built and looks just like the Honda tool:

WILMAR CRANK PULLEY HOLDING TOOL #W80496

from "RockBottomPricingInc"

I stand corrected. I guess my MT NSX engine falls below that C #. If anyone wants the 45mm I'll sell it for a song, PM me.

I'll buy it. I think it is time to add another tool to the NSX community.

I'll go ahead and pay for it and ship it to somebody who agrees to ship it to next person in need.

Background:
I was hoping that my success with the ALB/ABS bleeder would spur the NSXCA to provide tools for the group.

Despite it's success (since 2003, when we had a ListServ),

http://nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68164

the consensus of those in charge of the NSXCA said it would never work. I tried several times to start a dialog, but the silence was deafening. OK, fine: I cancelled my membership and decided to spend the money on tools instead.

Drew

I didn't notice this thread in 2006. But I did my TB in March 2007 and had no problem getting the 45mm tool. I ordered it, valve adjusting tools, TB, rear body shop apron, gaskets, etc, etc from MagAuto (Honda/Acura) and got everything in about 2 weeks.

There must have been some disruption of the supply chain in 2006. Perhaps it was a west coast problem only?

Anyway, I subsequently did lend the tool to a couple of people. I bought a big (300 or 350 lb-ft) torque wrench at that time, but its too heavy to ship at a reasonable price.

I have the 50mm tool from moroso, I just went to a fastener shop and got a nut that has a 45mm hex and welded it to the other end. Now I have both sizes on one tool.

Last edited:
I have the 50mm tool from moroso, I just went to a fastener shop and got a nut that has a 45mm hex and welded it to the other end. Know I have both sizes on one tool.

Great idea. If I ever get another Honda/Acura that uses the 50mm size, I might want to get that done to my 45mm OEM tool.:wink:

I would first make sure the modification wouldn't make access to the NSX crank pulley more difficult. I don't think so, but its easy to check. kind of like the old "measure twice, cut once" addage.

I need the tool for the automatic, 50mm. Anyone got one to sell? Home-made is okay. The one on eBay is 45mm. Thanks.

Id rather pony up and purchase a half inch impact gun may not be the nicest thing, but makes the crank pulley removal into a 60 second procedure. I guess if you dont have an air compressor though would be pointless...

Id rather pony up and purchase a half inch impact gun may not be the nicest thing, but makes the crank pulley removal into a 60 second procedure. I guess if you dont have an air compressor though would be pointless...

I doubt yu 'll find a 1/2 gun that will take the bolt out , i had two guns 3/4 ,gave one to larry b. , these guns are 50 yrs old , they wing the bolt right out, capable of 1000 ft lbs , no b.s. but need alot of air , very loud , and design to run 24 hrs a day , the new guns are impresive but nothing like these !!!

Last edited:
Oh weird, I did my timing belt month or so ago and used my Mac 1/2 inch impact and took the crank nut off in one blast. We have a commercial sized air compressor but other than that nothing special for a shop.

I use air tools and impact guns as much as physically possible, obviously not for tightening certain things but for removal definitely. Hard to make time flat rate using hand tools :wink:

I couldnt see any harsh effects to the bearings but then again theres always some engineer that will chime in and say that their is a possibility maybe...

I use air tools and impact guns as much as physically possible, obviously not for tightening certain things but for removal definitely. Hard to make time flat rate using hand tools :wink:

I couldnt see any harsh effects to the bearings but then again theres always some engineer that will chime in and say that their is a possibility maybe...

Agreed, used a impact for 40 yrs to remove balancers never had a problem , friend at work got pissed off at the boss because he was rushing him , torqued the cyl. head with a impact hoping it would screw up , no such luck ,truck ran fine , go figure ,

Oh wow, I dont go that far but yeah I use impacts for just about everything as far as removal. Things that require proper torque I torque. Most that are not technicians usually are overly concerned with torquing every single bolt.

The bap system is pretty accurate :wink:

From this and previous posts: NSX Engine numbers before C30A1-1300798 use 07NAB-001040A Holder Attachment, 50 mm.

http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77651

My engine happens to be C30A1-1300798. So is it 50 or 45 mm?
I guess I will find out when my 45mm tools arrives that I just bought :confused:

Last edited:
Back