• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Evap Cannister fuel leak?

So I'm at the track Friday afternoon and smell fuel after a few laps. Bring it in and its dripping from inside and in front of the drivers rear wheel. It looks like the fuel is coming from the clear drain line on the bottom of the fuel evap cannister. This has never happened before, but from what I can tell, it appears as though thats it what its supposed to do in certain circumstances.

Conditions:
1) Very sticky tires.
2) Couple of hard 180 right turns.
3) Between 1/2 and 3/4 tank of fuel
4) Warm ambient temp
5) and the wierd thing, twice while driving my knee hit the keyring and turned off the engine (never happened before either). Not long after that is when I smelled fuel.

From what I understand, the evap purge control valve resets with ignition off. I am currently of the opinion that the engine being shut off and restarted while driving reset the evap system, and before it could get back to normal, I got into one of the hard 180 rights, sucked fuel into the evap cannister which then dumped it out the clear drain line.

Does this make sense?

p.s. It is definitely NOT coming from the fuel neck overfill drain line. The fuel tank still holds pressure well, as opening the cap relieved quite a bit. It drove home 20 miles just fine, no CEL, no fuel leaking.

Last edited:
Back