• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is the BEST replacement brake pads? Carbotech or Ferodo/Axxis combo?

Hello NSX community,
I would like to upgrade my aftermarket brake pads with something better than the Hawk HPS pads. I currently have stock size cross-drilled/slotted Bradi rotors for my 92 NSX. I do about 2-3 track events a year. Running Motul 600 brake fluid. I would love to find something that has ALOT BETTER initial bite when pads are cold.
I am exploring my possiblities without going to a big brake kit as my thoughts of forced induction is put on the back burners until I decide which system to go with. Until then, I just want the best brake pad combo available. Here is what I am going to do on top of switching pads.
Dali brake air deflectors.
Dali stainless steel brake lines.
Motul 600 brake fluid

CARBOTECH PANTHER PLUS OR FERODO DS2500 front and AXXIS ULTIMATE in the rear?

Have anyone tried both combinations? If so, what are your honest opinions?

Chris from Speed of Science recommends Carbotech Panther Plus.

Andie Lin from Cobalt Friction recommends Ferodo DS2500 front w/ Axxis Ultimate rear.

Thanks for your feedback!

I would go with Andie's recommendation.

Keep in mind that the "initial bite when cold" is something that tends to be more prevalent in a street pad (such as the OEM pads) rather than a high-performance pad designed for the track. Many high-performance pads (such as the Panther Plus) don't work all that well when cold; this is not a priority for such pads, since track usage means you have a few warm-up laps before the pads are used at their maximum capability.

Also, when ordering pads from Andie, I would suggest you consider ordering his Cobalt Friction brake fluid, rather than the Motul RBF 600. The Cobalt Friction fluid has higher boiling temperatures (this means higher performance) than the Motul or any other major fluid on the market.

I have to agree with Chris and Andrie on this one and disagree with Ken. I think that the Carbotech line is the best out there right now, with the possible exception of Performance Friction, which is mucho more dollars. Carbotech prices are very good, and they will stop you like an anchor dropped behind the car. Many, many guys here on the east coast have been using Carbotech for a while and very happy with them.

They do dust, and will squeel on occasion, but not nearly as bad as Ferodo. I would also think that Using Axxis Ultimate in the rear would not be that great with a grippier pad in the front. Panther, Panther+, and Panther XP all have higher coefficients of friction than Axxis Ultimate, and with the NSX having a rearward weight bias, I would not use pads that are less sticky in the rear for the track. As a matter of fact, I use Panther+ up front and XP in the rear just to give me a little more bite in the rear. Go with the Carbotech's and you will be very happy, I promise!!

------------------
Gary Yates
1995 Red/Tan Boooleevard Cruzer
1992 White/Black Track Rat
2002 Red and White Cooper S - for sale, please inquire

Ken --

This is exactly what makes the Carbotech pads so impressive. They stick well at cold street temps and running hot track temps. I can't say enough about them. They also do not eat rotors, something the other high performance pads love to do. The NSX braking balance is designed for equal braking torque from the same compound pads, so I do not understand why you would want to switch brands unless one brand didn't make the pad for both front and rear.

Regards,
-- Chris

Originally posted by nsxtasy:

Keep in mind that the "initial bite when cold" is something that tends to be more prevalent in a street pad (such as the OEM pads) rather than a high-performance pad designed for the track. Many high-performance pads (such as the Panther Plus) don't work all that well when cold; this is not a priority for such pads, since track usage means you have a few warm-up laps before the pads are used at their maximum capability.

Also, when ordering pads from Andie, I would suggest you consider ordering his Cobalt Friction brake fluid, rather than the Motul RBF 600. The Cobalt Friction fluid has higher boiling temperatures (this means higher performance) than the Motul or any other major fluid on the market.

------------------
Revolutionize your NSX with ScienceofSpeed
www.ScienceofSpeed.com | [email protected] | 877-863-4520

Hey guys,
Thanks for some of your inputs. I have thought about it ALOT and I have a BIG problem with squealing brakes. I can't stand the possibility of driving around in my NSX and coming to a stop with squealing brakes. It is very embarassing to say the least. Brake pads that dust alot are also not a desirable effect that I am willing to put up with. After weighing the pros and cons of both setups, I think I am going to go with the Ferodo and Axxis combo as suggested by Andie Lin. I am willing to give up a little performance as I am only planning to attend 2 or 3 track events a year for something that hopefully will not squeal and dust alot. Just as long as it is better than stock and better than my current Hawk HPS pads, I will be happy. I am also changing over from Motul 600 to ATE Super Blue brake fluid as well as getting some stainless steel brake lines, remove the splash guards and add the Dali brake air deflector. Hopefully with these new mods, I will gain more confidence in braking harder and deeper before the turns. See you guys on the tracks!

Since you care about squealing and dusting and bite when they're cold, it sounds like the OEM pads are the best choice for your needs.

The boiling temperatures on the ATE brake fluid are WORSE (lower) than the Motul or Cobalt Friction fluid:

DRY:536F -- WET:392F --- ATE
DRY:590F -- WET:518F --- CASTROL SRF
DRY:593F -- WET:420F --- MOTUL RBF600
DRY:620F -- WET:425F --- COBALT SUPER XRF

I am a little puzzled. If everyone talks so highly of Andie Lin in regards to his knowledge of brake pads, then why would he recommend the Ferodo DS2500 and Axxis Ultimate pads for my 92 NSX? He also recommends me to use the ATE Super Blue so that I don't have to change my brake fluid out after each track event. I know he use to work for Carbo Tech so do you think he does not want to support them because he is no longer affiliated with them? Makes sense.
Basically I drive my car about 4-5K a year and take it to 2 or 3 track events per year.
I was going to go with the Carbo Tech Panther Plus but after receiving info that they "squeal like a pig and dust alot", I decided to go with Andie's suggestion.
Because I am not an expert in this field, I really appreciate all the feedback that I received.
NSXTACY's response was to go with stock pads due to my concerns but that doesn't address my need for better braking pads that will offer a little better initial bite but hold up to some occassional track use.
With so many different brake pads and so many different cars, driving style, etc, it is like trial and error. I know I do not like the Hawk HPS pads for cold braking but they are very clean in regards to dusting, they do not squeal at all and they have held up to 2 days at Thunderhill with minimal wear to both the pads and the rotors. Just want to find something that will be the next level up in performance but address the cold performance. Is that too much to ask?

Originally posted by Litespeeds:
I am a little puzzled. If everyone talks so highly of Andie Lin in regards to his knowledge of brake pads, then why would he recommend the Ferodo DS2500 and Axxis Ultimate pads for my 92 NSX? He also recommends me to use the ATE Super Blue so that I don't have to change my brake fluid out after each track event. I know he use to work for Carbo Tech so do you think he does not want to support them because he is no longer affiliated with them? Makes sense.
Basically I drive my car about 4-5K a year and take it to 2 or 3 track events per year.
I was going to go with the Carbo Tech Panther Plus but after receiving info that they "squeal like a pig and dust alot", I decided to go with Andie's suggestion.
Because I am not an expert in this field, I really appreciate all the feedback that I received.
NSXTACY's response was to go with stock pads due to my concerns but that doesn't address my need for better braking pads that will offer a little better initial bite but hold up to some occassional track use.
With so many different brake pads and so many different cars, driving style, etc, it is like trial and error. I know I do not like the Hawk HPS pads for cold braking but they are very clean in regards to dusting, they do not squeal at all and they have held up to 2 days at Thunderhill with minimal wear to both the pads and the rotors. Just want to find something that will be the next level up in performance but address the cold performance. Is that too much to ask?

I am in the same boat you are. My 94 NSX is my daily driver and I go to a few track events per year. It'd be great to have a pad that is perfect in all of the categories (dust, noise, cold stopping power, hot stopping power, longevity, and price). But you have to realize that such a pad may not exist. A lot of these traits will compete against each other so in the end you'll have a compromised solution.

Like you, I can't stand the slightly squeal, nor do I like brake dust. But I definitely don't want to be short on braking power when I'm attending a track school.

Maybe the best course of action is to have two sets of pads. That's what I've finally settled on for myself. I'm going to run Axxis Ultimates in the front and rear for the street, and then change to Carbotech Panther Plus before I drive out to the track. I have heard from others that the Ferodos do squeal a tiny bit, so I ruled them out.

In my 95 M3, I have found quite an impressive pad that doesn't compromise very much at all. I'm running Performance Friction Z pads. Compared to the OEM BMW pads which dust like crazy, these PF-Z pads don't dust at all under normal street driving. They are unbelievable in this regard. Before with the OEM pads, I had lots of brake dust after 3 days. With the PF-Z pads, I couldn't see any dust after 3 weeks! Quite amazing. And these pads are completely silent. I haven't heard a single peep from them. On the other hand, the OEM pads did squeal under light braking when I had them on my car. The only downside of the PF-Z pads is that they require just slightly more pedal pressure. Actually, it's not their cold stopping ability I'm talking about because they just aren't as sensitive as the OEM pads, regardless of temperature. But surprisingly, I like the PF-Z pads better in this regard too, because they are easier to modulate now. The OEM pads have very strong bite, even if you're soft on the brakes. That makes them feel more reassuring, as if one had a lot more stopping power in reserve. But it's more of a binary effect when trying to use them, like on-off. Not THAT extreme, but you get the idea.

I've used the PF-Z pads at Sears Point, and I was very impressed. The brakes never faded and they always felt strong and were easy to control. The funny thing is, for the first time I actually saw brake dust from these pads! LOTS of dust. After a two day track school, my wheels were completely covered with black dust. That was very amusing.

I don't know if the PF-Z pads are expensive for the NSX, or if they even make them for the NSX. I bought the PF-Z pads for my Bimmer from www.nationalfleetparts.com for a very cheap price. I think it was $100 for a full set of front and rear, but that was a couple of years ago.

I am using ATE SuperBlue in both of my cars and have been extremely happy with it. I buy it for $8/can from Zygmunt Motors (www.bimmerparts.com). Free shipping from them if your order exceeds $50.

Hope this helps.

-CiaoBoy

Guys,

I am sorry if I am stating the obvious, but what is the problem with having "track pads" and "street pads"? Whichever pad you decide on, just keep a stock set for the off track time. Seems to solve all issues, right?? And not a very big job to swap them out either
smile.gif

With this in mind you will not have to compromise either driving on the track, or clean, quiet brakes on the street.

HTH,
LarryB

Originally posted by CiaoBoy:
Maybe the best course of action is to have two sets of pads. That's what I've finally settled on for myself. I'm going to run Axxis Ultimates in the front and rear for the street, and then change to Carbotech Panther Plus before I drive out to the track.

Ditto what CiaoBoy said. I use the Ferodo/Axxis on the street and switch to the Panthers for track events. It seems there isn't a one-size-fits-all kind of pad, so why not use a pad specific to your application? You get the best of both worlds this way.

------------------
'96 Black/Tan NSX-T
Short gears, Dali swaybars, Ferodo/Axxis Ultimate brake pads, Bridgestone S-03s

Ken, what are you running these days? I know you use to recommend the RM pads. What do you consider the best dual use pad?

I think the reason why Andie recommended the Ferodo DS2500 pads for the fronts and Axxis Ultimate for the rear with ATE Super Blue brake fluid is because of what I originally stated:
I drive my car about 5K miles a year with about 2-3 track events. I guess for the majority of people, they don't want to keep changing out their brake fluids after each track event, thus he recommended the ATE Super Blue so that I can go longer without flushing the brake system.
As for the pads, he probably thought that my car is primarily used on the streets, which it is. Nobody likes squealing brakes and excessive brake dust so that I why I think he suggested the combination that he did.

I know the Carbo Tech Panther Plus is probably the brake pads to get but for those who have them, can you please PM me at [email protected] and give me your honest opinion? I really would like to know if they will squeal if I put some Permatex anti-squeal behind the pads before install. Also, how much dusting is ALOT? I currently own an Audi S4 and the stock pads dust ALOT. I also had an ML320 and those stock brakes dusted ALOT. Will it be comparable to what I see on BMW's, Audis, etc? Oh by the way, my S4 brakes also squeal during light pedal braking once in a while and it drives me nuts.

All I know is I am not happy with my current setup with Hawk HPS pads. I HATE the cold stopping power and initial bite. Everything else is acceptable.

simplify your misery .... you are getting way too many options for your driving needs.

oem pads and Motul should be plenty enough for your priorities.

And since you want to track the car occasionally: add DaliRacing deflectors,
no shields; and SS lines are opptional - the oem lines are pretty good; if they make you feel good and you want the looks, get the ones from Dali with the cover shield.

Originally posted by ScienceofSpeed:
...I do not understand why you would want to switch brands unless one brand didn't make the pad for both front and rear.

Either do I Chris - anyone have a logical explination why to run mixed pads when either type will fit all 4 corners? I do understand some of the logic on the big brake kits but I believe the original discussion was on OEM stock brakes.

[This message has been edited by matteni (edited 21 February 2003).]

Originally posted by Litespeeds:
If everyone talks so highly of Andie Lin in regards to his knowledge of brake pads, then why would he recommend the Ferodo DS2500 and Axxis Ultimate pads for my 92 NSX?

Probably because he thought they would be best for your needs. However, in different posts, you have stated numerous different objectives, and as CiaoBoy rightly pointed out, there is no one pad that is best at everything. If you ask about one with low squeal, low dust, and works when cold, you'll get a different answer than when you say you're looking for one that holds up to occasional track use. Where are you willing to make a trade-off?

Originally posted by Larry Bastanza:
I am sorry if I am stating the obvious, but what is the problem with having "track pads" and "street pads"? Whichever pad you decide on, just keep a stock set for the off track time. Seems to solve all issues, right?? And not a very big job to swap them out either

Well, this is a personal decision. Maybe one person does all his own mechanical work, enjoys doing it, and doesn't mind swapping pads, which takes him maybe 30-45 minutes (all four corners) at the start and end of each track event. Maybe another person doesn't do much mechanical work, doesn't enjoy it, and it might take him twice as long to swap the pads, and he would prefer to live with some slight compromises (street and/or track) in order to avoid the time and hassle of changing pads twice at every track event. Different strokes.

Originally posted by 1BADNSX:
Ken, what are you running these days? I know you use to recommend the RM pads.

The last track event I ran in my NSX was NSXPO 2001, at which I used the RM Racing pads, which apparently were Hawk HP Plus pads, according to NetViper. Last spring I changed my front pads to Carbotech Panther Plus (which I purchased at that event), but with only a hundred street miles on them, I have not driven them hard enough to evaluate their performance yet.

I drove all my track events last year in my Integra Type R. I face the same issues and availability in that car as I do in the NSX, since I prefer a dual-use pad and its front pads are interchangeable with the NSX. So far I have used three different kinds of front pad on that car: the stock pad (I don't know if this is the same part number as the NSX stock pad, and if not, how they might differ), the RM Racing pads, and the Endless CC-X pad, which is another dual-use pad (low squeal and dust, high performance on the track) and is fairly expensive. I was pleased with the results I got from all three pads, on the street as well as on the track; however, I got twice as many track miles from the RM pads as I did from the stock and Endless pads.

Originally posted by 1BADNSX:
What do you consider the best dual use pad?

I really like the RM pads and the Endless CC-X pads. I have not yet tried the Ferodo DS3000, which Andie recommends as a dual-use pad with a bit more emphasis on the track use, or the Carbotech Panther Plus, although I will have my NSX at the track this year and will get a feel for how I like those. Unless I decide that the DS3000 or the Panther Plus are better, I will still consider the RM pads my benchmark; if I have to buy more, I will buy the Hawk HP Plus and verify that they are the same thing.

The "nice" thing about brake pads is that you wear them out fairly quickly (every 3-4 track events for front pads), so if you're not sure what you want, you can keep trying a different kind every time you wear out a set, until you find one that you really like.

I don't consider it an "absolute" to have the exact same brand and type of brake pads on front and rear. I do think they should be similar in performance though. For example, if you had OEM pads at one end of the car, and whatever generic brand they carry at Pep Boys at the other end of the car, you might quickly find that the generic pads don't stand up to track abuse as well as the OEM pads do.

I agree with Hrant that the stock brake lines are just fine. However, since the Cobalt fluid is better than Motul and it's about the same price, I would get the Cobalt fluid.

Originally posted by matteni:
anyone have a logical explination why to run mixed pads when either type will fit all 4 corners?

I am constantly trying out different kinds of brake pads. When I buy brake pads, I typically buy 1-2 sets of front pads and 0-1 set of rear pads. I leave the pads on the car until they are too worn, and then I replace them. As a result, I often have different kinds of pads on the front vs the rear. It is not intentional, but rather, a function of the fact that I'm often trying out different kinds of pads, and I only change the end that is worn, not both ends.

The last track event I ran in my NSX was NSXPO 2001, at which I used the RM Racing pads, which apparently were Hawk HP Plus pads, according to NetViper. Last spring I changed my front pads to Carbotech Panther Plus (which I purchased at that event), but with only a hundred street miles on them, I have not driven them hard enough to evaluate their performance yet.

Can you give any feedback about the Carbotech Panther Plus pads regarding the street driving you've done? Do they dust a lot, or squeal? How's their cold stopping power?

-CiaoBoy

Originally posted by CiaoBoy:
Can you give any feedback about the Carbotech Panther Plus pads regarding the street driving you've done?

No, sorry. I've only taken the car out twice and really wasn't pushing the car or paying much attention to how well the pads were working.

I am using DS2500 in front and Axxis ultimate in the rear. I have tracked the car twice at Buttonwillow and Willowsprings, the pads were great, no fade. I have no problems with squeals, I drive this car daily. I also use ATE superblue. I have also thought of going SS but decided against it the oem lines are pretty good and since this is not a race car first but a dependable street car I didn't think it was worth the reward risk benefit. If you track the car 2-3 times a year I would stay with oem lines and no deal with changing ss lines every year.

Paul

Originally posted by HPV100:
I am using DS2500 in front and Axxis ultimate in the rear. I have tracked the car twice at Buttonwillow and Willowsprings, the pads were great, no fade. I have no problems with squeals, I drive this car daily. I also use ATE superblue. I have also thought of going SS but decided against it, the oem lines are pretty good and since this is not a race car first but a dependable street car I didn't think it was worth the reward risk benefit. If you track the car 2-3 times a year I would stay with oem lines and not deal with changing ss lines every year.

Paul

Rm pads are a pretty hard on the rotors. The same pads that are on the front of an NSX will fit the front of a Legend. I ran a set of RM pads on my wife's Legend, and I wound up replacing brand new rotors within 30k. This is from street use....and the occasional trip to the grocery store by your truly. But, They do eat rotors. They have EXCELLENT feel, kinda dusty, low noise, but.....once again...eat rotors. I put a couple sets on NSX's also. Same thing.
The deal with different brake pads front to rear is brake bias. If you run sticky pads on the rear, they are likely to lock up before the fronts. NOT GOOD. So you would want a pad on the rear that doesn't bite as much. On the track, with the ALB's dissabled, this is an issue. On the street it's not as bad as the ALB's will compensate.
Barn Man....

I haven't had any problems with rotor thickness due to the RM pads. Heck, even with all the sets of RM pads I've gone through (they've been well over half of the twenty sets of front pads and eleven sets of rear pads I've gone through on the NSX), I've never had to replace rotors (front OR rear) due to thickness. Shudder or cracking, well, that's a different story...

What about the Porterfield R4-S pads? I've used them on the street and at the track, and prefer them over the OEM pads. They do dust a little more than OEM, but nothing like the the Panther Plus pads in my experience. In addition, I have never had any squeaking whatsoever with these pads. In addition, I bought them direct for less than the dealer was asking for the OEM pads, so it was an easy decision.

I'm tempted to get the Panther Plus pads the next time around, but like many of you, don't want to be squeaking on the street, which is where I spend the majority of my time in the NSX.

Any other opinions on the Porterfield R4S pads versus OEM and the Panther Plus pads?

Originally posted by Kirthasa:
What about the Porterfield R4-S pads?

Don't EVER use those on the track. I tried them. The metal backing plate softened, and the entire brake pad bent around the piston. NOT recommended.

Back