• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

I need brake pad advice please....

I'm looking for some upgraded brake pads that are compatible with the OEM calipers (both front & rear)
I've been looking on various websites to compare items, but I'd like some advice from you guys that may have had experience.

I'm looking for;
*Considerable stopping power for fast street/track use.
*Low noise
*Low dust
*Fair on the rotors
*Very minimal / zero fade

Ive looked into Hawk HP+, Carbotech Panther Plus, and Project MU Type HC+.

The Project MU Type HC+ look a great pad from the description! but are they compatible with the OEM brake kit?

To help with efficiency, I will be purchasing braided stainless steel brake lines, Motul RBF600 synthetic racing brake fluid, and front brake air deflectors.

Suggestions welcome ��

Last edited:
Of the list above, the HP+ and PMU HC+ are street/track pads. This means they will be noisier and dust more than a pure street pad. Are you planning on doing any track driving? If not, I would suggest the following:

Hawk HPS
Project Mu Type NS
Carbotech 1521

I have used the first two above and I am very happy with them. Once my HPS burn out, I am going to try the 1521. HPS was able to stand up to the track, but the Project Mu turned into charcoal briquettes. However, the Project Mu dusted less than the Hawks.

I have used OEM, Hawk HPS, and Hawk HP+. I switched from OEM to HP+, which have much more bite than the OEM pads. They also squeal unless they are really properly bedded in. And if you don't drive with aggressive braking then the bedding layer will wear down and they will start squealing again, from time to time with soft braking.

Because of this, I switched to HPS for the winter, when I wasn't going to be at a track for a while. The HPS feel more like OEM. Perhaps due to the stark contrast with the HP+ pads, the HPS seemed to require even more pedal effort than OEM. I imagine that is just my lack of reference and they are similar. The HP+ make a ton of dust; so there are better street-use options and I plan to stick with HPS for the half-year that I'm not at the track.

I personally would not want to use something less than HP+ on the track. They seem reasonably matched to street tires. I also have braided lines and larger air deflectors. By the end of two days, my pedal is not as firm as it is at the start of the weekend and by the end of a session, I feel like the braking performance of the HP+ is not as good as it is at the start of a session. I plan to try out Carbotech XP10/XP8, perhaps even before switching to R-compound tires.

Forgot to mention I use Carbotech XP8 front and rear at the track. I agree the HPS requires more pedal effort than either the OEM or Project Mu NS. My reason for trying the 1521 is that I won't have to swap rotors when changing to my track pads. If I didn't track, I would stick with the Project Mu NS.

I just did an almost identical project, without the air scoops (for now) but with new cross-drilled rotors. I used the Project Mu NS (based on searches here) pads and I LOVE them. I have about 300 miles on them and they seem to be pretty well bedded in. Not snap-your-neck braking but a really good improvement, no noise and no dust. Modulation is wonderful. My use will be just like yours - spirited driving and a few track days a year. I'll probably add the scoops later.

Attachments

• NSX:LFbrake2.jpg
    NSX:LFbrake2.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 209
Last edited:
Thanks for the comments guys.

The main objectives is to have an application that doesn't fade, but is also fairly quiet. The dust thing isn't really an issue as my NSX is a weekend warrior and will receive a good old clean after every drive.
On a trip through Europe last year, I suffered on many occasions with brake fade, to the point that they were smoking quite considerably!

Wavey1 - Where did you source your application? Awesome looking brake discs by the way.
jwmelvin - Thanks for the info, based on the comments so far it's between the Carbotech & the Project MU
Honcho - Tha is for info, can you recommend a vendor for the 1571

EBCBremsentemperaturtabelleklein.jpeg

EBC_redstuff_md.jpg

My reason for trying the 1521 is that I won't have to swap rotors when changing to my track pads.

Is that really a thing? It would be bad for me to swap from the XP10/XP8 (track) to HPS (street) without also swapping rotors? I know I've read that from time to time but haven't known how big a deal it is. I guess I do have two sets of rotors but it takes a lot longer to swap them as compared with just pads. I'll be interested to hear how the 1521 are.

-Jason

Is that really a thing? It would be bad for me to swap from the XP10/XP8 (track) to HPS (street) without also swapping rotors? I know I've read that from time to time but haven't known how big a deal it is. I guess I do have two sets of rotors but it takes a lot longer to swap them as compared with just pads. I'll be interested to hear how the 1521 are.

-Jason

I took a conservative approach because my NSX is my daily transportation. I think the issue is the XP8 is such an aggressive compound that it will scrape off all the HPS material, so the track is not a problem. It's when you put the HPS pads back on. There is now a layer of XP8 material embedded on the rotor and it could diminish the performance of the street pad. That's the theory, anyway. I didn't want to take the risk. I do know plenty of people just swap pads, though.

Thanks for the info. It does make sense. Found this page too, which is consistent. When I had uneven deposits before, I was about to buy a set of Hawk Blue pads to clean my rotors but waited it out and the HP+ pads wore everything off after a few weeks of daily driving. I like the idea of sticking with one manufacturer just to simplify things.

Thanks for the comments guys.

The main objectives is to have an application that doesn't fade, but is also fairly quiet. The dust thing isn't really an issue as my NSX is a weekend warrior and will receive a good old clean after every drive.
On a trip through Europe last year, I suffered on many occasions with brake fade, to the point that they were smoking quite considerably!

Wavey1 - Where did you source your application? Awesome looking brake discs by the way.
jwmelvin - Thanks for the info, based on the comments so far it's between the Carbotech & the Project MU
Honcho - Tha is for info, can you recommend a vendor for the 1571

I would order them from Science of Speed. I think they are perfect for what you want.

Thanks for the info. It does make sense. Found this page too, which is consistent. When I had uneven deposits before, I was about to buy a set of Hawk Blue pads to clean my rotors but waited it out and the HP+ pads wore everything off after a few weeks of daily driving. I like the idea of sticking with one manufacturer just to simplify things.

I feel dumb for buying a second set of rotors after reading that article lol :redface:

Yes, my Project Mu NS came from Science of Speed. Best price I could find too. The rotors are StopTech.

Yes, my Project Mu NS came from Science of Speed. Best price I could find too. The rotors are StopTech.

It look like your StopTech rotors were incorrectly drilled like mine
Have you had any issues with them?

Exactly, JD - I posted on that thread too. I just countersunk the correct holes and no problems at all. Runout was near-perfect.

I'm looking for;
*Considerable stopping power for fast street/track use.
*Low noise
*Low dust
*Fair on the rotors
*Very minimal / zero fade
The OEM pad will meet all of those criteria better than any aftermarket pad. The OEM pad will give you considerable stopping power, and won't fade if you've bedded and heat-cycled them. If you want a pad that will give you more stopping power than OEM, it will almost certainly produce more noise and/or dust, at a minimum.

Thanks for all the advice guys.
After speaking with the Guys at Science of Speed, I've gone with this apllication

*Carbotech AX6 front & rear
*Braided stainless steel brake lines
*Downforce Carbon Fibre air deflectors
*Racing brake fluid.

As my rotors are in good condition, I've decided not to replace these... Yet

That is a great setup. Sos will steer you right. Let us know about the dust level.

Back