• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

Best tires in Snow on a 22inch

Denver, Colorado; Los Angeles, CA & Bangkok Thaila
I know there has to be some people here that put 22inch rims on their SUV.

I just picked up a set and need advice on tires that will work fairly well in the snow.

I will probably end up siping these tires.

I'm keeping the stock 19inch if needed on Michelin Synchrones if there is no such tire that will work fairly well in the snow, but I'd like to free up some room in the garage if there is such a tire.

Thanks.

Driving 22 inch rims with low profile tires in the ice and snow can probabky easily scratch up those wheels.

Wow, 22" snow tires? It doesn't snow where I live, but I don't think I've ever seen snow tires in such a large diameter.

Any tire you get for 22's is gonna suck in the snow. I had 24's on an Escalade and they were just okay. They were the Pirelli Scorp's. Looked awesome, drove terrible. They were chrome spinners and in 4 months of winter driving and NJ roads, I managed to bent all 4, curb 2 of them and pretty much destroy them all. Waste of moolah unless you live in Cali or Florida:wink:

yeah, I'd never drive in rims that big in the snow. I'd bash them all to hell! And in the case you do get a lil bump into a curb big or small, the fatter donuts around the smaller rims will reduce ALOT of the possible damage that can it can cause. Oh and it should help you roll over things alot smoother, like curbs. :)

I had my 2003 Discovery HSE with stock wheels and tires. That thing did GREAT in the colorado snow and roads. I even bashed the thing into curbs, over curbs and berms, frontwards and backwards. I suffer a lil rim leakage at the bead but that was it. That was with the pitiful 18" stockers too. I couldn't image how much damage 22's would have done.

I ended up getting the Falken ZEIS S/TZ-04 all season tires. I am going to have Discount Tire sipe them, this costs like $10 a tire to do and from what I've heard, helps a lot.

I almost bought the Nitto Grapplers, but they were double in price, but the tread should do extremely well in snow with those teeth looking tread designs. $1300 for a set of 4.

I paid $169/tire for the Falkens. Went with sizes 285/40/22. A more popular size is 285/35/22, but I like to drive without braking on speedbumps.

I took the time to do some research and this tire seemed like the best deal.

They are also H rated tires meaning they last a lot longer than other tires that are V or Z rated.

I know it is kind of vague to want to put 22inch rims on a car and still want to drive it in snow, but call me crazy....I wanted to do just that.

There are so much more tires to choose from now, I spent a good hour looking online.

I ended up going all out on the Range Rover as like I did the NSX. Had to give it my touch.

I did a 06 Supercharged Conversion, Overfinch Bodykit, 22inch Stormers, Borla Dual Exhaust, & K&N Intake.

Car is being sent in the bodyshop tomorrow. I'm paint matching the entire car in black; front grill, side vents, and door handles. :biggrin:

Your Rover sounds like it's going to be very nice. Post some pics after its done w/ paint. :smile:

Snow traction is less about designs of the tread but more about the biting edges. When they sipe, it puts hundreds of cuts around the tire. Which multiplied by the tread breaks from left to right gives you THOUSANDS of edges to bite into the ice and snow.

Sipes will also tend your tire life by atleast 10% and give you all around better trackion.

That's why superswampers are such crappy on road snowy weather tires. Not enough edges to bite into the ice and snow, too much flat surface to sit on top of it and slide.

Yeah these tread design look like they should do ok with the siping. Here is a pic for those of you who have SUVs with 22 and want long lasting tires and good traction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...MEWN:IT&viewitem=&item=220057969036&rd=1&rd=1

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/re...d=22&ar=40&ra=/tireProductBySize.go&tc=FALRH2

Discount tire sells them for 240 each and you can get them on ebay for 169. Good deal in my book.:smile:

I'll post pictures when the conversion is done. Some rewiring needs to be done to fit the 07 and newer headlights and it should be in the shop for a good 2 weeks waiting for the paint to dry. I'm doing 6 layers of paint as weather is so shitty here in Denver.

I don't really like SUVs, but I live in Denver. I envy how you SOCAL guys can drive your NSXes everyday.:tongue:

Back