• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

VIN locations

While changing the engine hatch struts the other night and constantly dropping things into the engine compartment I noticed something that got me thinking.
If you look in the engine compartment on the passenger side toward the rear of the car behind the cam cover you'll see an opening in the sound deadening material showing part of the trunk. The VIN of the car is engraved into that space.
I wonder how many other places on the car the VIN is engraved? Maybe we could find out and make a list and put it in the Wiki for future potential buyers to verify the car hasn't been wrecked real bad and repaired.
Just a thought.

It would depend on the year, there are NHTSA stickers all over the newer models. I can't remember what year that was implemented.

Here are your VIN locations for a 1991
1. Public VIN plate, on dash
2. Federal Sticker, on driver door jamb
3. Rear bulkhead, behind engine

You DO NOT want to publish anymore information than that. There is probably a strap number and hopefully a hidden VIN (or two) under the sound proofing and/or sandwiched in between layered metals on the uni-body.

If you make this information public then NSX's can be stolen and their identity completely erased and impossible to recover from thieves.

I have yet to find a build slip on the NSX, the Japanese are too neat. Americans are sloppy and stuff their build sheets in every imaginable spot. These sheets are invaluable in identifying cars that have been cut into very small parts.

Drew

pm pbassjoe, I'm sure he is intimate with all nsx nooks and crannies.:wink:

pm pbassjoe, I'm sure he is intimate with all nsx nooks and crannies.:wink:

I'm personally not needing the information. I would like to think that if I ever decide to upgrade that I'll be able to use my knowledge I've gathered from here and owning one and be able to make an informed choice.
HOWEVER, newbies may not be that lucky.
Just a suggestion but apparently not such a good one.:frown:

I was wondering the same thing. My Supra's vin's are in plain sight so if you go buy one, you can see if panels have been replaced. I am looking at an NSX and I am wondering where the vin tags are.

I know that Nissan 300zx Twin Turbo has the Vin# on every panel and every piece of glass etched in the corner which is very obvious. Not too many obvious places on the NSX. Only the Manufacture and CHP would know where to look.

My 2002 has the VIN# on every body panel.

I'm bumping this thread as I was searching without a solid answer.

Where specifically are the VIN's located on each panel on the 2002+ models?? Any photos or pointers would help a lot (a photo of the car with red arrows pointed to each location would be perfect!) and also be wiki worthy.

NO need for pics , on the newer cars that have them , the VIN stickers are hard to miss ...

Back