• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

What is the BEST INTAKE on the market

ITB is REALLY loud, is your car a track car and u tow it to track everytime?
i think cops are the problem being too loud with ITBs

how much whp do u think ITB can give u? i know u had the 3.6L from SOS, and can u tell us more, y would u choose the 3.6 over the 3.3? and whats the power difference between the 2?

Suck - I thought I'd be the first. :( ;) I wonder what the numbers are like? For stock engines the value isn't there but for a stroked engine ITBs or a custom single large plenum should be, almost, mandatory.

Curious....would it be possible (still a streetable car) to hit above 400rwhp with a properly tuned and modded car with ITBs and 3.8L? I would think and hope so, but have never seen any dynos. If there are dynos...post away!

If I can interject, my 3.6L did 333.4hp at the rear wheels w/ the stock intake plenum. With ITBs, I was quoted 30-40+ additional rwhp. I think a 3.8L and ITB's would be just shy of a that 400rwhp mark. Maybe if the RPM was set to 9k or so...or if some exotic fuel mixture was used.

I was running the Downforce with UNI for about 10 months and now i have a WeaponR Secret Weapon semi connected to the Downforce. Although it's probably in my head, it seems to pull better at mid rpm. I can tell you it sounds awesome :cool: .

8e287df2.jpg

I also have had Gruppe M's Kevlar Air Cleaner, Gruppe M's aluminium intake and Procar airbox.

The Gruppe M Kevlar sounded the best, until I modified a spare box. :smile:

Cheers,

AR

Filter Element
13449AIS2.jpg

In the car.
13449AIS.jpg

From inside the fender. You can see the "trumpet" bell replaced my old DF scoop. The Dry carbon is extremely strong, I (205 lbs) stood on the trumpet horn and it did not break. The trumpet design is brilliant because the system draws air from the entire rear panel without sucking in dirt.
DSC00900_1.jpg

DSC00902_1.jpg

The GruppeM system is a very good looking piece, but the filter element is rather flat, actually has less filter area them ALL other intake system.

The bottom line? Unifilter will do just fine for minimum spending.

ITB NSX. You really can't do this feature with DBW cars (95 and up). With the TODA package, you will need to buy the ITB, injectors, and they recommend tuning by HKS (that's what they told me). You can still do ITB on 95 and up NSX, but you will have to replace the DBW with cable throttle. I haven't heard any one who has done this with DBW cars without heavy modifications.

One more thing, with the TODA package, to get that extra 30 to 40 HP, you will also need to raise the RPM; therefore, it is out of the safety permitter if you keep every thing else stock. It is not recomanded unless you do the entire package of (3.5 stroker kit optional) - pistons, rods, cams, springs, etc.

http://todaracingusa.com/onemake?id=1

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QkJAv3q12E8&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QkJAv3q12E8&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MV-AGEbx47A&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MV-AGEbx47A&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Last edited:
Mine has all of you beat! Attached directly to my DF air scoop with absolutely no leaks. It seals over the factory rubber grommet from the side fender scoop .

NSXPRMFLTRII.jpg

NSXPRMFilter.jpg

PRM racing baby:biggrin:

My intake is the best!!!:biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

MUGEN

Do you know why? Because it has the largest filter surface area of any filters.

Where did you get it and how much if you don't mind me asking? (you can pm me if you want to keep it a secret)

Curious....would it be possible (still a streetable car) to hit above 400rwhp with a properly tuned and modded car with ITBs and 3.8L? I would think and hope so, but have never seen any dynos. If there are dynos...post away!

Yes it is.....this 3.8L car is getting tuned by AEM when it gets the ITB's. One of the tuners from AEM did tell me that 400hp+ is attainable with the combo of the two. I don't know exact details but that is what he told me. I will let you guys know whenever I hear something.....last time I heard it was taking a very long time to source the ITB's since they were coming from the UK.

I think they finally arrived but the owner of the car is adding a lot of stuff to the car so I don't know when it will be completed. He has like 3-5 car projects he is working on.....Nissan R33 Skyline motorbuild, Right hand side drive Rx7, NSX 3.8L Stroker with ITB's and tons of mods being added, some old hot rod car, and another car and bikes. He has a lot of toys.......he is a lurker on prime but doesn't post.

Where did you get it and how much if you don't mind me asking? (you can pm me if you want to keep it a secret)

It has a retail price of 179,000 yen (Something like that). I ordered it through kingmotorsport.com. They no longer has it on their website but I heard it is made to order. You can also find it on Yahoo Auction Japan from time to time. I had to wait four months for it.

Mine has all of you beat! Attached directly to my DF air scoop with absolutely no leaks. It seals over the factory rubber grommet from the side fender scoop .

PRM racing baby:biggrin:

My is connected directly to the side vent too:eek: :biggrin: :biggrin: Except... My piping is MUCH BIGGER!!!:tongue:
13449AIS3.jpg

Dyno'd 302 RWP on stock 3.2 Engine!!! Even though I love this filter, it probably didn't do much...lol

If I can interject, my 3.6L did 333.4hp at the rear wheels w/ the stock intake plenum. With ITBs, I was quoted 30-40+ additional rwhp. I think a 3.8L and ITB's would be just shy of a that 400rwhp mark. Maybe if the RPM was set to 9k or so...or if some exotic fuel mixture was used.

I think it all depends on the tuning for one and yes fuel also....I am not sure if that is attainable on 91 octane......maybe you will need to run higher octane and raise the compression higher........so yeah until everything is put together and dynoed..... I won't know till I hear anything........doesnt matter though because it will be awesome no matter what when finished.

Have a good day everyone.

haha there you go......nothing like grey goose to give you that extra hp :wink:

It has a retail price of 179,000 yen (Something like that). I ordered it through kingmotorsport.com. They no longer has it on their website but I heard it is made to order. You can also find it on Yahoo Auction Japan from time to time. I had to wait four months for it.

My is connected directly to the side vent too:eek: :biggrin: :biggrin: Except... My piping is MUCH BIGGER!!!:tongue:
13449AIS3.jpg

Dyno'd 302 RWP on stock 3.2 Engine!!! Even though I love this filter, it probably didn't do much...lol

Nice. I think you are the only one here with the Mugen intake. How is the sound? Any more pics?

Just a little louder than unifilter/DF scoop.

Few more in my gallary.

I think my is the only one in the US. There is actually another Mugen Version for $8 grand, optional to the $8 grand Mugen Snorkel/Lexen hatch. But I have never seen one in person.

I think it all depends on the tuning for one and yes fuel also....I am not sure if that is attainable on 91 octane......maybe you will need to run higher octane and raise the compression higher........so yeah until everything is put together and dynoed..... I won't know till I hear anything........doesnt matter though because it will be awesome no matter what when finished.

Have a good day everyone.

Cool...thanks

I too ran the cone type K&N filter for a while. I noticed a slight wooshing sound but that was about it.
I finally realized, along with the help of more knowledgeable folks than myself, that that setup pulled in hot air from the engine compartment and not the cool/cold air from the side of the car.

ITB is REALLY loud, is your car a track car and u tow it to track everytime?

Sorry! Just noticed your post to me this morning. I haven't been the "tow the track car" type of guy but will likely be doing that for future events.

how much whp do u think ITB can give u? i know u had the 3.6L from SOS, and can u tell us more, y would u choose the 3.6 over the 3.3? and whats the power difference between the 2?

I was quoted ITBs would add anywhere from 30-40 rwhp. Reason being that if you look at the dyno below you'll see the hp and tq figures drop off at around 6800rpm b/c the engine isn't getting as much air as needed. ITBs or large single plenum would cure that and then some. I'd expect some pretty impressive gains all across the rev range. And if you look at the ITB air horn length of any given offering you'll get an indication of how the engine is tuned (low end, mid-range, high RPM power).

my 3.6L (which is still at SoS b/c parts from Japan and custom parts take forever).

36L_Dyno.jpg

and the 3.8L for comparision. Of course, different dynos, different days, etc etc etc.

3_8L_Dyno.jpg

Here's my GruppeM Big Ass Intake. I am running this with the DF scoop and Gruppe M supercharger. The sound is crazy and my butt dyno confirms its performance gains. :rolleyes:
n690446223_623343_3727.jpg

IMHO, the gain/loss on NSX intakes are irrelevant, if any that is bonus.

Below are my personal experience on different intakes I have used. I kept all my parts and still have every single set up.

Stock Air Box + Uni Filter is about as good as you are going to get. If you don't care for the look, stick to this.

I spent $275 to get this set up below, used it for a few days and removed it and had no problem eating the cost. Quality is great, but there is noticeable performance decrease and difficult starting up, sounds like a choke.

1130945.jpg

Below is what currently on my NSX, I got it mainly just for the look. Many Ferrari and Porsche owners use Gruppe M intakes. My true honest opinion is that it performs as well if not better than stock air box + uni filter, which is a pleasant surprise for me.

While it is not connected to the side vent, the airbox does have a heatshield that block off the radiant heat, the filter doesn't get hot unlike other open cone filters. IMHO there is no need to connect to the side vent due to straw theory. The opening is too small, potentially could be a restriction. Never the less, NSX engine bay doesn't get very hot with the engine cover removed. It is very cool in there at least in my NSX. Once the car is in motion the cold air from ouside still get directed/rammed into the filter and the entire engine bay also become an air box/plenum with large amount of air available on tap.

10.jpg

11.jpg

1.jpg

Regarding to filteration area, flat is not necessarily bad if it has larger overal diameter thanr slightly longer filter with smaller overall diameter.

Project%20Talon%20Engine%20Bay.jpg

So I guess it sits kinda like this?
Really wanted to keep the cold air from the Quarter panel!
9192_.jpg
That is actually pretty good. It got heatshield to block off the radiant heat.

I ran open cone filter with no heat shield on Supra before. The placement of the filter were not too far from the turbo, the filter element gets really hot from the direct radiant heat + it was sucking in extremely.....hot air. Even so it was perfectly fine.

Last edited:
Back