• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

02-03 BMW M3 convertible

A friend of mine is considering a convertible "sports car." It has to be "name brand", which to him means BMW, Porche or Mercedes. He seems fixated on the M3. I don't know squat about them, any opinions? Thanks.

smonop said:
A friend of mine is considering a convertible "sports car." It has to be "name brand", which to him means BMW, Porche or Mercedes. He seems fixated on the M3. I don't know squat about them, any opinions? Thanks.

if price is no option, Porsche has a drop-top Turbo coming out w/in a year. Otherwise, the M3 would probably be my choice of those three brands. or maybe a used Z8.

It all really depends what he wants to use it for? There is more to picking a top-shelf cabrio than just saying you want something that has a top that goes down...

'01 an newer M3 is a great car!

I highly recommend an M3 as it is by far the most fun you can have in a car that seats 4 people for under $55,000. The SMG transmission is another plus!!

Re: Re: Re: 02-03 BMW M3 convertible

Nimbus said:
How about a F360 Spyder right now?

Personally I'd pick the 360 over the 911 any day, but he asked for Porsche. Also, the existing markup on the 360 keeps its price out of consideration (I'm guessing here). And if I had the funds,and the patience, I'd wait for the upcoming droptop Gallardo. I believe it will be out in a year or so...

I drove a paddle shifted 03' M-3 convertable.
AWESOME!!

The coupe is also better .Like taking the 3 people out of the back seat.

They look awesome in black as a coupe and w/ light grey interior.
IMO a great buy "IF" you like the look.
MYNSX

Has he considered a CLK 55? I know it's nearly as nimbly as the M3, but it has loads of torque and has an amazing exhaust note. But if he's looking for a great performer that looks the best of the lot, the M3 is my pick.

Conor

ctnsupra1 said:
Has he considered a CLK 55? I know it's nearly as nimbly as the M3, but it has loads of torque and has an amazing exhaust note. But if he's looking for a great performer that looks the best of the lot, the M3 is my pick.
Or further up the Benz model line, the SL55 (AMG) or SL600 (V12 TT) -- exoticar-beating performance in a nice looking daily-driveable package. The hp/torque on those cars is just obscene.

You can't go wrong with an M3. I have heard only a couple of bad things about BMW though. The dealer network(i.e. service) is absolutely awful. Also have heard of BMW having to replace a few engines in the M3's due them blowing up. :eek:

Back