• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

02 M3 or 00 V8 esprit or 00 Boxster S

If you could have any of the above and lived in or near a large city, which would you choose? The role of the car would simply be for fun. :)

Hey neighbor...

I guess I'd have to go with the Boxster S.

The M3 is a great car. Solid, stable, fast. There is a question mark and a cloud about the engine problems they've had.

But if it's "fun" you're after I'd have to go with the S.

-Jim

If you want fun and power and a car that equals the NSX go for the Lotus V8TT. If you want a convertable then the boxster is your choice. Test drive all the cars and you will see what suits you best.

I own an '02 Boxster S in addition to my NSX (and an '87 911 Turbo Look Cabriolet), and I can tell you without reservation that the Boxster S is the car to get.

To me at least, my Boxster S is slightly quicker than my '91 NSX, and will outhandle it in certain driving situations (particularly in tighter courses).

'00 Boxster S's have really depreciated, and you should be able to pick up a low mileage perfect condition car (that originally stickered for low to mid $50's) for low to mid $30's.

smonop said:
If you could have any of the above and lived in or near a large city, which would you choose? The role of the car would simply be for fun. :)

Well, I would have to say that based on your criteria above, I would have to pick the Lotus.

Boxster and M3s are more practical cars than the Lotus.

The M3 is my pick if I had to do some family driving. 2 of my friends have the S so I know it is a great car, but if you can afford a '00 Esprit, why not also consider a '00 996?

The Lotus!

024473-E.jpg

009399-E.jpg

esprit.jpg

tough call...but M3 for me!

M3 -> Extremely fast, well build, family saloon.
Boxter S -> IMHO a womans car, very nice though.
Lotus Esprit -> My dreamcar next to the NSX

The Lotus!

You already have a Japanese Supercar, an Italian convertible, and a sportscoupe. Next you need a twinturbocharged brit v-8. just make sure you are ready for the bills/headaches.

They have one 2001 Lotus right now with an upgraded chip at Symbolic in La Jolla. The car is pushing 460hp (it would move.) If you are interested, talk to Nick Smith, the sales manager in there. Tell him that De with the NSX reffered you and he will know. Asking price is about 70,000 or best offer.

My choice would also be a Lotus, I was looking at S4S before I bought the NSX, and the reliability issue was the reason I bought the NSX. The boxer S is nice but not that exotic and it is not that fast IMO. M3 if you need back seats. Lotus V8TT that would be my choice, definately.

Lotus HANDS DOWN! <p> My girlfriend has a 01 M3 and it is alright but not as powerful and attractice a car as the V8 TT is... and a Boxster? No offense to those of you that have them but I really dislike those cars in every way possible, and the "S" that I drove wasnt anywhere near the car the M3 or Lotus is.

M3,
I have one and I really enjoy driving it through twisties here in Bay Area.

Have you driven the Lotus yet?
Don't forget to ask the maintenance cost, warranty & repair of a Lotus :)

Guys, lets remember, he said he wants it for fun!...

I would highly recommend the lotus TT a fun weekend car...

My question is this though: ISN'T THE NSX FUN ENOUGH!?!?! It's more fun than the Boxster S and M3 put together...not sure about hte Lotus though!!

Just get a 91 NSX and mod the hell out of it for "fun" :)

nzo-who said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm with you De....Lotus baby!
I don't think he said he wanted headaches too. With the Lotus, there are always the reliability, quality, service and parts availability issues. Boxster S hands down.
Steve

Boxster S for me, but if the car's out of warranty period be aware of the potential rear main seal problem. Its rear plastic window is also infamously known to tear under cold weather conditions.

How many of you guys own or have owned Lotus? It is people like you who spread this misinformation. I have owned several and they have been ultra reliable. Lotus was unreliable back in the 50's to the late 70's. From the late 80's on they are very reliable and not as expensive to maintain as you think. No motor comes out for a timing belt change-sure parts are a tad expensive-but have you ever priced parts out for an NSX? The Lotus is a great car and that would be my choice heads over heels. I own both an NSX and a Lotus and the Lotus has served me better than the NSX in the reliability department. And another note the customer service to Lotus is second to none. They will even let you borrow special tools that are needed for the car.

While the M3 and the Boxster S are nice cars they are a couple of steps below the NSX whereas the Lotus is on the same level if not higher. But the ultimate choice is yours, not mine or everyone else's here, take them all for a LONG test drive and decide yourself. Maybe none of them will be your cup of tea

bill92nsx said:
It is people like you who spread this misinformation. I have owned several and they have been ultra reliable. Lotus was unreliable back in the 50's to the late 70's. From the late 80's on they are very reliable and not as expensive to maintain as you think.
So what happened to the late 70's to the late 80's Lotus? Reliability aside. How many dealers and service stations are there in the USA? People like us who spread this misinformation? You mean the media like R&T, C&D and Autoweek, right?
Steve:rolleyes:

The late 70's to late 80's was a transition period where they worked out most of their flaws. Chapman (founder of Lotus) believed that if you want to go faster you just add lightness- in this case it meant drive shafts doubling up as suspension links. In the eighties they were worked out the kinks and by the mid80s they had a pretty much ultrareliable car. I have almost all the issues on the later Esprits and not one of them mentions a reliability issue. They never had one breakdown on them except once with a faulty sparkplug back in 86. Yes so I do sum it up as people like you start spreading bad information. You have to remember the Esprit is a car that has been evolving since 1976 so they have worked out all the kinks. It does not cost a fortune to maintain-Lotus even does the first cambelt change for FREE of charge so you are pretty much set for over 6 years maintenance free. Change the fluids, and drive the car like a normal human and it will not let you down.

For $70K, I'll get a used F-355 before I get a Lotus though. The exhaust sound of F-355 is simply the best.

Buy the Lotus. I have been considering one for awhile now. I think it is a sweet looking car. Also the reliability has gotten much better. I would not worry about maintenance costs. I don't think they would be much more than the NSX.

You find me a DECENT used 355 for $70 and i'm there...

I've been looking and most used 355's are $85+ if they have proof of maintence, etc.

And a lotus for $70 is new, a 355 is a good 3-7 years old. And Ferrari's aren't the #1 reliable car either...

Lastly, don't the new Lotus V8TT's out perform the 355???

For a fun car: G-E-T T-H-E L-O-T-U-S (or another NSX! :D)

Brian2by2,
You missed it, there was one mint blue (I forget the year) F355 with low mileage on ebay sold for for $68K about 3 weeks ago from New York.
Check on ebay because sometime they have a very good deal when nobody is looking.

Back