• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

'02 NSX cranks but wont start

Hi, i have a 2002 supercharged nsx and when i went to start it today the battery was almost dead. i boosted it from the rear and the car cranks over lots but just wont start :confused:....any idea to what the problem could be? fuel pump? main relay( is this a problem on 02+'s?) i had to boost it a few days before after it sat for a couple of days but it started fine at the time. it also started fine yesterday. i can hear the fuel pump click when i turn the key to on. i'm stumped to what could of happened overnight

Last edited:
Sounds like an electrical problem to me. When you say you hear the fuel pump "click", do you mean you can hear it run/hum for a second or two when you turn on the key? Are you getting any CEL's? Have you tried to pull error codes? :confused:

Hmm when I turn the key in the on position I hear a click and I think a hum behind me I think that's the fuel pump? It cranks at full power while its being boosted from behind but just won't start. I few times it felt like it was about to start but never did. Could it be a loose connection or ground? After I remove the booster it cranks a few times until the batt dies out again. Also forgot to add this but when I started the car up yesterday the revs bounced up and down intermittently for the first 2-3min before the idle finally smoothed out. Could that be a sign of something about to fail?

Last edited:
maybe spark plugs. its either the spark not going or the fuel not there and if you here the fuel pump going it would be the ignition. could be the injectors but when my prelude wouldn't start, it was the ignition wires. The spark plugs are cheap and the wires can be tested.

Hmm when I turn the key in the on position I hear a click and I think a hum behind me I think that's the fuel pump? It cranks at full power while its being boosted from behind but just won't start. I few times it felt like it was about to start but never did. Could it be a loose connection or ground? After I remove the booster it cranks a few times until the batt dies out again. Also forgot to add this but when I started the car up yesterday the revs bounced up and down intermittently for the first 2-3min before the idle finally smoothed out. Could that be a sign of something about to fail?

If the battery was completely dead. then i would say the revs bouncing was/were the sensors re-learning the system.

I wouldnt say its a sign of something to come. just change the battery and you should be good.

though in reading this... the car starts and when you pull the cables it dies? or does it run but not hold a charge?

These cars act extrememly weird when the batteries are weak. Before you start thinking there is any major issue go buy a new battery and install it. I think you will see it starts fine and there are no issues... Even a weak battery will cause things to go haywire.

Good advice from SOURCENSX because even if this is not your problem, the fact that you can only crank the car a few times before the battery is drained indicates a problem with the battery...or possibly (but less likely) your alternator. Get the battery checked at your local parts store and replace if needed.

And congrats on owning one of the best looking color combination S2K's out there. White over tan...love it. Got pics?

Last edited:
No the car won't start or run at all. It just cranks over while its being boosted. Hmm what type of battery fits in the nsx? I read somewhere it was an acura integra battery. I'm out of town for the weekend so will look at it again on monday. Could I hook up the battery from my s2000 just to confirm its the battery? I'm still new to the nsx and love this site for all the info.

No the car won't start or run at all. It just cranks over while its being boosted. Hmm what type of battery fits in the nsx? I read somewhere it was an acura integra battery. I'm out of town for the weekend so will look at it again on monday. Could I hook up the battery from my s2000 just to confirm its the battery? I'm still new to the nsx and love this site for all the info.

in one of the above posts you said it started yesterday?

ya it started after a boost yesterday and did the up/down rev thing. at that time the battery was just weak enough to give it a couple of cranks. i ran the car for 10min then shut it off. the next day the battery was completely drained and when i tried to boost it the car cranked many times but just wouldn't start. i've also read that it could be vacuum hose #4 getting clogged. does anyone know where that hose is located?

ya it started after a boost yesterday and did the up/down rev thing. at that time the battery was just weak enough to give it a couple of cranks. i ran the car for 10min then shut it off. the next day the battery was completely drained and when i tried to boost it the car cranked many times but just wouldn't start. i've also read that it could be vacuum hose #4 getting clogged. does anyone know where that hose is located?

before you start chasing something that may not be wrong go with the obvious. change the battery (and buy a battery tender while youre at the store)

Could I hook up the battery from my s2000 just to confirm its the battery? I'm still new to the nsx and love this site for all the info.

IIRC the S battery is a smaller format than the one in the NSX. You could drop it in but you may not be able to use the NSX battery tie down. This isn't the end of the world...just bungi the battery down and drive VERY easy...be especially gentle braking. Also the posts on the S battery may be reversed...be sure you hook your positive cable to the+ post.

put a new battery in today and it started right up! i boosted my fair share of dead batteries before and never once did something like this happen. crazy NSX :tongue:....the EPS light came on after and my power steering was gone...freaked me out!! , i pulled the clock fuse for a min, started it and went for a drive and everything was back to normal. Thanks for the help guys! :redface:

Back