• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

04/05 Acura TL Owners -- Need Your Review!

I'm close to pulling the trigger on an 05 six-speed TL with the navigation option. It is anthracite in color with a black interior.

I was blown away by the fit & finish of the car, and the navigation is simply outstanding. It is a sweet car for the money.

I haven't heard anything bad about the TL, but I know that if there's anything I "need to know" before I buy the car, this Forum will tell me :)

TIA

Many of the mags have complained about excessive TQ steer with the 6 spd. I've driven the Auto but never the 6 spd. It had mild TQ steer. Otherwise, the car is an incredible bang for the buck.

We only have 1200 miles on our 05 auto,but nothing unusual so far.

I just got an Anthracite/Gray automatic TL 13 days ago and it's been absolutely great. There are a few rattles from the overhead console area and one from the passenger near the front door. Although annoying sometimes, the built in XM radio compensates for the rattles which I will get checked out at the first service. The only other thing that I would order is the slim spoiler for the trunk. They come pre-painted and the same dealers that offer us discounts on NSX parts will also give the same discount for the spoiler. Other than that, the car is great right out of the box.

Ours has about 16,000 miles on it and it has been great. One HID high-beam light went out, and apparently they are all on backorder, so we have been without one for about 2 months now.

The fit and finish is excellent. The sound system is great. I wish now that we would have got the nav system, but at the time $2000 was a lot for something we probably would not use much. It does have a few rattles here and there -- which is a little dissapointing to me.

As for the TQ steer, in normal every day driving I almost never notice it.

It sure does like to drink gas though! :)

NetViper said:
...It sure does like to drink gas though! :)

I noticed that also, and I drive my TL like a grandpa compared to the NSX. I think I'm averageing 16mpg city, compared to the 12 mpg when I had the MDX. I was expecting much better fuel economy considering the TL is much lighter and smaller than the MDX. But then again, my commute is only 2.7 miles in stop and go traffic.

I don't own one, but the only bad things I really hear about it are the rattles. Try checking this site out, http://tl.acurazine.com/
It's pretty nice. They even have a section where people talk about problems and fixes for the rattles and other minor problems.

I have an 04 that is identical in specification and color to your 05. I have driven 23k with only a minor headliner droop as a problem (setting aside the pre-delivery transmission replacement).

It is an incredible value for the money. Sure, in the summer I wish I had an M5 to drive as my daily rather than the TL, but that would require a third car to drive when it snows and I can't afford to keep the NSX and get an M5 and a decent winter car (at least not yet . . .)

For the money, you can't touch it. Yes, the torque steer is present, but not an issue at 7/10s or below. You don't buy a TL to autox or race it, but rather to get from A to B in style and comfort at a decent price.

Now that winter is here, I love the TL FWD w/Blizzaks and the heated seats, and it doesn't make me want to cry when it becomes a rolling salt lick or takes a rock or two from a semi.

I have an 04 Auto/Nav SSM/Ebony.
Absolutely love the car.
I have had it in for warranty issues once already and am taking it back to have a few parts put on that had to be ordered.
I suggest.

Go over the interior with a fine tooth comb. I found some white threads protruding from the passenger front seat bottom.
Look on the under side of all outside handles for gouges in paint.
Look at alignment of hood.
I found crack in console around shift lever aluminum housing.
R.F. door trim panel now rattling.
3rd brake light cover doesn't fully block out red light onto back window at night.
Glue left on aluminum scuff plate on L.F. door jamb.
Goo on XM roof antenna.
OEM tires seemed to flat spot easily after sitting over night or so.
Plugs for bumper if you decide to go without tag bracket.

Overall though I am very happy with car and would highly recommend.

Our 2004 with 12,000 miles is the same color combo you are considering, but with an auto tranny. It is a great car for the money, but the build quality is not as good as the four other Acura's we have owned. Little issues like rattles, sloppy looking seat leather, and overall fit and finish is slightly lacking. I still wouldn't trade it for any other car in its' class.

Bob

Back