• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

'05 NSX vs '97 F355

Hi! I'm looking for some expert opinion...(and yes, I realize I'm on a NSX board but please try to be unbiased)
I'm contemplating purchasing a '97 F355 Berlinetta (Black/gray) with 20k miles and recent FULL service (clutch, belts, valve updates, TUBI, etc) versus a '05 NSX (Silver/silver) with 1800 miles and Comptech I/H/E. The advantages of the Ferrari are obvious (power, feel, sound, resale) and the disadvantages are apparent as well (service, $$$). It seems that the NSX offers ~70% of what the Ferrari has for the same price and an obvious advantage in drivability and reliability (Acura certified with extended warranty). There's something you can't replace by purchasing a new vehicle (well, almost new) in terms of condition and knowledge of history. I used to own a '91 silver NSX and I loved it--I just needed something a bit newer. As for the Ferrari, I can't decide if the Italian mystique is worth pain that comes with owning it. I recently sold a Carrera 4 and am looking for something that has more of a visceral feel. Both cars can be bought for ~$75k--any experience with owners or knowledge of these two great cars would be great. Thanks in advance, this board is always helpful.
Vivek

Drive em both and let us know which one you pick. :smile:

If it is a weekend toy, Id go F355 for the Fcar experience. If its a daily driver, NSX. Mine is a dd and although I lusted over F355s, Im thrilled with my choice. I also find that as much as I still love F355s, Im more in love with my NSX.

And I dont think that youll find a big difference performance wise between the 05 NSX and the F355. I bet you come out thinking that newer NSX is 90%+ the F355. The only real difference is at rediculus speeds.

Cant go wrong - if you accept that you will have probably 10x the downtime in the F355 and the bills will be larger, and you dont need to put many miles on it, Id love to have a F355.

In the end all you have to think about is how much more money your gonna have shell out to keep up with the maintence and insurance with each car if it's worth it. Both cars are really great but it really depends on what you want...you cant go wrong with either car. Good luck and keep us updated what you decide on.:smile:

I don’t know if it’s true, but someone once told me that the maintenance cost on a Ferrari equals out to about $1.00 per mile driven. If it's true, I hope you have deep pockets!! Anyways, what ever decision you make, best of luck to you and keep us posted.

How many miles do you plan on driving it? How worried are you about maintenance cost? If you have a $5k issue come up, is that not a huge deal for you?

It sounds to me that you want to F355, you're just not sure if it's worth the potential high cost.

I would get the F355 so you can have the "I have an Fcar" experience, more attention, and more visceral driving experience. If you can afford it, do it. You've already had an NSX so why not try something different?

Resale on the F355 will be good if you don't drive it too much.

On the other hand - don't expect a great difference in power between the two cars. The difference between a modded NSX and a F355 is not too great.

If this is a daily driver then for sure, get the NSX.

Semnos_NSX said:
I don’t know if it’s true, but someone once told me that the maintenance cost on a Ferrari equals out to about $1.00 per mile driven.

The truth to this lies with the willingness of the owner to keep up with maintenance. I've been told by a couple F355 owners that the F355 is like a high maintenance girlfriend (fun but expensive to keep) and yes, they told me that in order to play it safe, one should budget for about $1.00 per mile in maintenance/operating costs. That's what I found out in my initial search for an F355. I've decided to keep the NSX a little while longer. :smile:

SPA_S2000 said:
And I dont think that youll find a big difference performance wise between the 05 NSX and the F355. I bet you come out thinking that newer NSX is 90%+ the F355. The only real difference is at rediculus speeds.

A 05 NSX with I/H/E will most certaintly spank a F355 in virtually every performance catagory.

Id still rather have a Ferrari but id go for an F360, then youll noice a real performance difference and a warranty would be an option.

To some people, the 355 will appear more dated, but I don't know if that matters to you. I mean, the 360 and 430 have come out since, but the NSX replacement is still years away and it has more of that 'new car' illusion. :smile:

My buddy has an F36O Spyder with 8k miles on it. He's on his 3rd motor and 2nd transmission. Good thing he's got a Z8 and S4 sitting in the garage also. F-car equals $$$$$. If you've got it...buy it!

surferX said:
My buddy has an F36O Spyder with 8k miles on it. He's on his 3rd motor and 2nd transmission. Good thing he's got a Z8 and S4 sitting in the garage also. F-car equals $$$$$. If you've got it...buy it!

Hope he pre-paid:biggrin:

Ha ha ha...yes...good things come to those who pre-pay...but you know it costs well over $1 per mile!!!! :biggrin:

JChoice said:
How many miles do you plan on driving it? How worried are you about maintenance cost? If you have a $5k issue come up, is that not a huge deal for you?

It sounds to me that you want to F355, you're just not sure if it's worth the potential high cost.

I would get the F355 so you can have the "I have an Fcar" experience, more attention, and more visceral driving experience. If you can afford it, do it. You've already had an NSX so why not try something different?

Resale on the F355 will be good if you don't drive it too much.

On the other hand - don't expect a great difference in power between the two cars. The difference between a modded NSX and a F355 is not too great.

If this is a daily driver then for sure, get the NSX.

It shoud read: The difference between a modded NSX and a F355 is <s>not to great</s> HUGE. Ask me how I know :biggrin:

I read also the 355 have a problem with the valves? It is like a $20K repair. Ouch. Also, the F1 tranny pump is a $16K replacement. OUCH.

Still, I love the 355 and would love to have one.

I say get the 355. Enjoy it while you can. Then get the NSX. :)

The difference between in NSX and 355 is the same as the difference between a Seiko watch and a Rolex. The Seiko keeps better time but the Rolex is a lot more cool. I've driven both at the track:

The 355 gated shifter is crap. Get the paddle. I've driven both and the gated is crap compared to an NSX. One 355 had a sticky throttle linkage and one didn't. However, having said that, nothing sounds like a Ferrari and the NSX isn't a good looking or have the "cool" factor of a Ferrari. If you want bang for the buck, it's the NSX. If you want bang, it's the 355. If a weekend occasional car, you can't beat the 355.

ANYTIME said:
It shoud read: The difference between a modded NSX and a F355 is <s>not to great</s> HUGE. Ask me how I know :biggrin:

I was referring to the performance difference. If you are too, then I give: how do you know?

Getting a paddle shift may not be a good idea as there are more potential expensive issues with an F1 on the F355. The F355 has a first gen F1 system so it's certainly not as good or as quick or smooth as a newer Ferrari or BMW's SMG. Also, if you don't have another stick shift car, you may start to miss good-old-fashion shifting.

My last word on this would be: get the 355.

JChoice said:
I was referring to the performance difference. If you are too, then I give: how do you know?

Because it depends on the mod you speaking of for how the two compare and in the case of an SC NSX...especially if you have Autowave squeeze out some extra HP...you can have taillights wink at the 355 as you say bye-bye! :biggrin:

surferX said:
Because it depends on the mod you speaking of for how the two compare and in the case of an SC NSX...especially if you have Autowave squeeze out some extra HP...you can have taillights wink at the 355 as you say bye-bye! :biggrin:

You're right. I should clarify: a slightly modded NSX (I/H/E) - not Anytime's SC NSX!! :biggrin:

I might be in the minority, but I like the looks of the NSX better. To me, it looks more modern even though it came out prior to the F355. Performance is similar enough that I would chose the NSX on looks alone (not to mention reliability). Now if you said F360 then I'd be singing a different tune.

If you are worried about resale go for a older NSX ('02), the resale wont hit you as hard for the same car, or a low mileage 97+ NSX for less of a hit.
As for the Ferrari - 75k for a B is too much. A f355 Spider can be had for the same money. IMO - i'd spend an extra 25k and get a 360. With the release of the 430 I've even seen a few under 100k. Finally.
-j-

The ones under 100k aren't really would I would consider "clean" cars. There is a tremendous difference in price between a Ferrari with all records, most options, up-to-date service, and low miles and one without a service record, few options, and high miles. Huge difference in price. I would expect to pay 110k+ on the very low end for a clean 99 or 00 360. 115k - 125k is more realistic.

I think the NSX will be as fast or faster then the 355 on just about any road course. So if its about going fast, you will get a much more reliable car that looks exotic and is just as fast with the NSX. If its about having a Ferrari, well then you need to buy the Ferrari.

Lets be honest, if we were all about going fast for the money this would be a Z06 forum.

redshift said:
I might be in the minority, but I like the looks of the NSX better. To me, it looks more modern even though it came out prior to the F355. Performance is similar enough that I would chose the NSX on looks alone (not to mention reliability). Now if you said F360 then I'd be singing a different tune.

Completely agree Redshift. In my eyes the NSX looks so much sexier than the 355. IMHO, the 355 just looks bland and dated (maybe its because i go to Cystal Cove to much:biggrin: ), while the appearance of the nsx is just timeless. I also appreciate the history, technology and engineering put into the NSX. It makes me proud to drive a car, whose creation involved the greatest F1 pilot, Ayrton Senna. Can you say the same about the 355? But if your looking for a sound that will give you the goosebumps, i'd give the winning hand to the 355. The 355 with testpipes is like the Barry White of sports cars.

Back