• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

08 s550 or 08 750LI ??

My sister (physician) just got a mint '08 750IL.

It's nice but I was not really impressed after I drove a new Acura TL. The TL is way more advanced yet simple inside IMO and we've been a BMW family since '93. Styling is better on the bimmers and I'll give them that over the TL.

s550 :biggrin:

I have driven both a couple times. Neither is clearly superior; I'd go with the MB if luxury and comfort is your sole focus. If driving dynamics are of importance, I think the steering/braking/handling on the BMW is marginally superior on all counts. With the 7 series you are not overwhelmed with body roll and the desire to drive the car delicately like you are the MB, IMO obviously. Personally it would be a very tough call, I'd probably buy on price and predicted maint costs since both are so good.

My bro just picked up a E63; what a beast!

My sister (physician) just got a mint '08 750IL.

It's nice but I was not really impressed after I drove a new Acura TL. The TL is way more advanced yet simple inside IMO and we've been a BMW family since '93. Styling is better on the bimmers and I'll give them that over the TL.

The OP asked our opinion between a S550 or a 750LI. If your suggestion is an A8 or even a VW Phaeton I would say a good alternative to consider. But an Acura TL:confused: Totally different class, are you kidding ???

The OP asked our opinion between a S550 or a 750LI. If your suggestion is an A8 or even a VW Phaeton I would say a good alternative to consider. But an Acura TL:confused: Totally different class, are you kidding ???

exactly..btw the S8 would be my choice in the 08 vintage.

I think the OP is looking for some bling and extreme size so a TL will not fit either bill. However, price wise a 2012 TL costs the same as the two cars mentioned.

That's a tough choice. Both cars have significant positives and negatives. Make sure you get an extended warranty with either of the two. Personally I prefer the Ext. styling of the S class and the Int. of the 7 series. The S is prolly more reliable in the long run. The 7 lost it's styling edge after 2003.

I strongly recommend you partially base you decision based on the cost to have a warranty on each. I also would recomend that even with the warranty you do a ppi on the car you decide on

I'm looking for a luxury sedan and can't decide between the two....
What do you guys think??

What are you looking for in a car? These cars are in the same class/category, but are different in terms of amenties and driving dynamics. Maintenance aside (they will in the end be about the same), what are your top three priorities?

Personally I'm a BMW fan, except for the 7 series. In that class, I'd go with Mercedes. Why, because the Mercedes is more of a luxury car in that size than the 7 is. If you were talking E class vs 5 series, then, I'd say go 5, because of the driving dynamics. But when you are talking luxury cruiser - full size, MBZ wins.

Last edited:
Well I had a 09 5 series that I sold in may, the 7 series reminds me a lot of my 5 series........ I found a S550 4matic below trade in value , clean carfax... Active warranty from MB and with ALL the packages even ventilated seats in the back... I will go with that one ;)

Back