• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1,000,000 miles

No, not me, not yet...
Just thinking out loud.

If a normal Honda/Acura that's taken care of can hit 1,000,000 miles on the stock engine.
Is there any reason the NSX shouldn't be able to do the same?
I know we have a bunch of people in the 300,000 mile range, and reported 400,000 mile examples.
Just curious.

Seems to me that things like lightweight engine parts, carbon fiber reinforced block, iron coated and heat resistant pistons, etc, etc, etc would make it possibly last LONGER than a normal well kept Honda/Acura?

Thoughts?

Side note, found an interesting article on the NSX engine that I haven't seen before on Honda's website:
http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=2636-en

DSF_5560.jpg

Man you put a lot of miles on that Imola since NSXPO!:stupid:

No, not me, not yet...
Just thinking out loud.

If a normal Honda/Acura that's taken care of can hit 1,000,000 miles on the stock engine.
Is there any reason the NSX shouldn't be able to do the same?
I know we have a bunch of people in the 300,000 mile range, and reported 400,000 mile examples.
Just curious.

Seems to me that things like lightweight engine parts, carbon fiber reinforced block, iron coated and heat resistant pistons, etc, etc, etc would make it possibly last LONGER than a normal well kept Honda/Acura?

Thoughts?

Side note, found an interesting article on the NSX engine that I haven't seen before on Honda's website:
http://www.honda.com/newsandviews/article.aspx?id=2636-en

No reason a NSX could not reach 1,000,000. It is a very well built engine.

Ha! nah mine has probably 100 more miles since xpo. this one is the highest mileage i think going...

I personally saw and documented that car back in 11/2009, in fact, I was the one that took the pic that was posted.

Anyone know of the whereabouts of this car today?

I've heard of a few accords and civic running 1.000.000 miles,
To be honest if you follow factory service instructions I see no reason why it won't last that long if it's treated right (let it warm up nicely, don't bounce rev limiter all day whilst stationary, etc etc etc)

Would be interesting to see which piston rings would last longer the FRM lined 3.2 or the iron sleeved 3.0, (as the old B21A's used to have ring wear issues with FRM being to though)
The NSX engine actually has a lot less stress in daily driving than for example a Civic.

A "big" engine has less stress internally due to its displacement making torque so easily it's not working as hard as a eco box would. (just how a Corvette with a 6 or 7 speed practically idles all day even on the highway)
Good point in that would be a "Big six" BMW I've seen ton's of them 250 & 300k miles.

A BMW ETA engine is specifically designed with this in mind it's a ultra long 2.7L straight six petrol, it run's like a diesel revving only to 4k it lives all day in torque band very built proof. (cool trick is swapping on a 325I cylinder-head makes for a really fun quick engine)
Honda C Engines have proven to be extremely well build (look at how many people are running boost on stock blocks...)
I've heard of a C32A Legend running 600.000+ miles or so, a guy on the Legend forum has done 500.000 miles on his Legend Coupe with out a hitch.

a guy on the Legend forum has done 500.000 miles on his Legend Coupe with out a hitch.
Hey I know that guy. Haha, it's me. 529k and still counting. Original engine, trans, clutch with all records back to new. It has a few small mechanical needs but it still starts up every time. I drove it from Arizona to North Carolina and back last August for an Acura meet. Here are a few recent pics.

http://drivetofive.wordpress.com/2013/10/09/20-year-birthday-for-the-legend/

NSX is fully capable of the same longevity, I'd say.

Back