• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1,000 hours and counting…

First off we would like to thank Lud for providing NSX enthusiasts a place to share information. In addition, we would just like clarify to Lud and the rest of the community the current rumor that we quoted 1,000 hours to “do it right”. This is news to us, and we also share the same feelings as the rest of the community in regards to false statements/innuendos and the like. However, since it was brought up lets talk about it.

999. Creating the engine management system for the NSX took the combined efforts of Hondata and 2 of our engineers. Unbeknownst to both ourselves and Hondata, the NSX ECU is unlike any other Honda ECU. Without Hondata’s extensive knowledge and experience with Honda ECUs, we would have never gotten this far. Without the ability of our engineers to create the proper algorithms to solve the checksum issues that came about, the engine management system would never have been solved. We were fortunate to even accomplish this task, as most developers/manufacturers shun the NSX market, do to its size.

998. What does our engine management solution do? Using 3D mapping we are able to control fuel and ignition across the entire RPM range. This is all done without a “piggy back solution.” Our initial engine management solution was released in Jan of this year and has been running on Ken’s Comptech/NOS NSX and Jon’s NA/BBSC NSX. This system was initially released without any of the security/piracy provisions that we now have in place. As far as tuning, we highly discourage anyone going out and tuning on the open road. Not only is it dangerous, but it requires a complete understanding of engine dynamics and combustion characteristics especially, when under boost.

997. Although we are new to this community we have been active in the performance/professional racing industry for quite sometime. Mike has been trained by Motec, been certified by Pectel, and has underwent the tutelage of Jon Kuroyama (Recognized as one of the Top Tuners in the Nation). Mike has built and tuned Progress Suspension’s Vortech Supercharged land speed record holding car, built and tuned the 1000+rwhp Lexus, built and tuned the RGI 2.2 liter 700+rwhp Vortech Supercharged drag car, fueled 800+rwhp twin HKS 3037 Supras, built and tuned 500+rwhp daily driven Fastrax turbo Civics, fueled nitrous oxide enhanced Vipers and countless other Supercharged / Turbocharged Vehicles of almost every make and model. Even some with 2 wheels
smile.gif
I guess you could say Mike believes all cars should come OEM with boost.

996. Current Topics such as “URGENT!! Recall info, FIRE DANGER” are in poor taste and quite offensive. Maybe we are being sensitive, but the fact that Jon’s NSX caught fire was not a joke for us and should not be for anyone involved. Jon has 2 beautiful children, if it were not for a kind Samaritan on the highway that notified us of the fire, his wife would be widowed and the children fatherless. (Magnesium covers are very hard to put out) As the Torrance Fire Dept. and CHP said, You guys are damn lucky” In our opinion this is hardly a joke.

995. Regarding all of the e-mails we have received, we appreciate the concern/support. As far as the questions and details, at this time we have decided to keep that private. Factor X and Basch Acura are no longer working together. This is not the end of the world. We wish Mark and his team success and good fortune with his supercharger kit.

Speed Safely,

Factor X Motorsports www.factorxmotorsports.com

Very nice...congrats. Is there a demo of the system somewhere so we can check it out? Also, is this only for obd1 ecu's? What year is the application?

------------------
jack of all trades, master of some.

996. Current Topics such as “URGENT!! Recall info, FIRE DANGER” are in poor taste and quite offensive.

Forgive me, but I'm a little confused. After reading the above referenced thread posted by NSXTECH I don't see why you would consider it to be in "poor taste" or "quite offensive." Perhaps you haven't read the thread. It simply states that there is an Autometer fuel pressure gauge that has been recalled and suggests that anyone who owns that part should contact "Matt at Autometer." To me that seems like a public service announcement for the NSX community.

Me thinks some feathers are just a bit too ruffled for reason these days.

Originally posted by Factor X Motorsports:
First off we would like to thank Lud for providing NSX enthusiasts a place to share information. In addition, we would just like clarify to Lud and the rest of the community the current rumor that we quoted 1,000 hours to “do it right”. This is news to us, and we also share the same feelings as the rest of the community in regards to false statements/innuendos and the like. However, since it was brought up lets talk about it.

Ken, All. It seems as though I may someone an apology, but quite frankly I have lost track of who said what and to whom. Partly.
The 1000 hours comment was NOT, let me repeat, WAS NOT the amount of time I predicted it would take for FX to build a proper NSX Tuning product. (in fact, it was not my time assessment at all, it truly did come from Hondata). However, that time estimate was not the estimate of time required for software completeion, only for a single part of that software. That part may or may not be required for anybody elses SC kit, but I wanted it to be part of mine. I believe FX's NSX software will be the biggest tuning aid ever devised for the NSX. As Ken mentions, this software, like the chip itself has many, MANY areas of possible change and tuning. All the areas required for NA use, and possibally ALL the area's required for other SC's, have been adressed in a fashion that impresses me. The exact quote from Hondata was, if I wanted 'THAT' included, it would require aprrox 1000 of software time.
The reason "that" is between me and FX, is because undoubedly either one of my supporters, or one of FX 's supporters will have a new piece of info for e-mail play and will go on and on. I truly wish it could have been accomplished earlier- I have really enjoyed working with Ken, Mike, et al, and wish things could have gone just a bit differently. My SC will be nothing short of perfect when finished, and I believe the same is true for the FX NSX Tuning product.

Secondly, my "Recall- Fire Danger, etc" post subject had nothing to do with the car fire that occured to Jons car. I also find NOTHING funny about that situation. The subject came up immediately following a very long conversation with Autometer. If anyone thinks that was not a serious post, AND has an Autometer fuel gauge, PLEASE heed my post.
It was no joke. My remarks to 6c5fg7bdh69h certainly were a reaction to his constant, useless carping. Sorry if anyone took that the wrong way. ESPECIALLY my friends at FX.

Peace,
MB

Factor X:

Thanks for the update. Last time we talked you seemed to agree that your work on the NSX ECU was suitable only to SC applications and that the additional complexity of mapping for turbos made it unlikely that you would extend your work on the OEM unit in that direction. Is that still the case?

What is you current opinion on the best approach for a complete fuel system solution for a turbo NSX.

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by sjs (edited 14 June 2002).]

Factor X Motorsports

Do I understand your post correctly that you think that your ECU work will definitely be incorporated into the final BBSC, despite not having an ongoing relationship w/ Basch?
RSVP.

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Tubi exhaust, Dali street anti-sway bars, Dunlop SP9000s

Factor X Motorsports

Never mind. Mark answered my question completely above. So, best to you both.....

------------------
NSXY
95 NSX-T, 5 sp, Red/Tan, Tubi exhaust, Dali street anti-sway bars, Dunlop SP9000s

Sometimes good enough is OK. 1000 hrs would be too cost prohibative.

-B[/B]

Please let me clarify that the above statement is mine and not from Mark B. I trust that he will not settle for "good enough." Given the finite market for an NSX supercharger I made the cost conclusion.

The take home point is that there are many ways to skin a cat (sorry SPCA) and Mark will find one that is effective for his product.

Originally posted by sjs:
Factor X:

Thanks for the update. Last time we talked you seemed to agree that your work on the NSX ECU was suitable only to SC applications and that the additional complexity of mapping for turbos made it unlikely that you would extend your work on the OEM unit in that direction. Is that still the case?

What is you current opinion on the best approach for a complete fuel system solution for a turbo NSX.

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by sjs (edited 14 June 2002).]

Sjs,
We highly recommend you going with a Pectel engine management system or like wise. The Haltec and Tec II systems are ok, with limited resolution. The Pectel has a higher processing rate/resolution making it possible to get more power all within the safety range. With the system you can set the ignition/fuel values for daily use and still be able to have a “high boost” setting without having to make changes to the ECU. Unlike a supercharger a turbo’s boost is load dependent therefore, the solution requires greater resolution. Timing becomes more of an issue when the rate of acceration is greater. For example, have you ever seen an 800rwhp Supra Dyno graph? It will gain 400+rwhp in 1000RPMs. In regards to using our system for supercharged applications and NA use, not a problem, it works fantastic. Under WOT at a specific RPM the same amount of boost is being developed with a supercharger. Feel free to give us a call again if you have anymore questions.

Speed Safely,

Factor X Motorsports www.factorxmotorsports.com

Back