• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

17/18 sizes

it's time to get new tires for my 17/18 rims. I was wanting asymmetrical tread and seems all that is out there are the Falken 615. do I have any other choices ?

Unfortunately none of the tires tested in the article are available in the 17/18 sizes that the OP would need.

There is a newer version of the 615's, the RT615K+. Seems to have positive reviews on various non-NSX car sites I've looked at. No rating yet on Tire Rack. As I understand it the older 615's have the same rubber compound and makeup as the Direzza ZII, but the ZII's are not asymmetrical.

Dropping down to a 205/45-17 in the front offers the option of the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. Excellent ratings on Tire Rack especially wet performance and comfort. However I get that people may not want to run a Firestone tire on their NSX - no cachet. The slightly smaller size (1.44% diameter difference) shouldn't cause any TCS issues.

Last edited:
guys i'm in same boat. I have 275-35-18 and 215-40-17 direzza II right now but need tires very soon.

any thoughts? I'm lowered about 2 inches fwiw. [MENTION=14002]NSXCTASY[/MENTION] he is usually the tire guru

so 215/40/17 are hen's teeth:confused:

What is the purpose of asymmetrical? The new r888r is asymmetrical as well as bf goodrich g-force rival.

I have the BFG Rival on my 16/17 rims but can't find them for 17/18. I wish I could I really like them. The directional tires I have ran in the past on several cars seem to be prone to cupping.

I have the BFG Rival on my 16/17 rims but can't find them for 17/18. I wish I could I really like them. The directional tires I have ran in the past on several cars seem to be prone to cupping.

Interesting. I really like direzza star spec zii and ad08r but never experienced cupping, you sure your alignment, toe etc is set properly? Im cheap too so I like that on these symmetrical tires I can flip them when the inside becomes more worn than the outside :D

Interesting. I really like direzza star spec zii and ad08r but never experienced cupping, you sure your alignment, toe etc is set properly? Im cheap too so I like that on these symmetrical tires I can flip them when the inside becomes more worn than the outside :D

The alignment is good. I had it done around this time last year and it was in spec. The wife had a sc430 with directional Michelin tires on it and they would cup and become noisy. The maxis tires I am replacing were awful in a few thousand miles. I could use a symetricical tire if I could find one with a treadwear around 200. I usually have to many years on a set with a 500+ treadwear.

http://www.tirewear.org/steps-on-how-to-fix-tire-cupping/ said:
Some factors that can cause tire cupping are the following:

Inexpensive low-quality tires

This one of the most common cause why cupping happens. Tires of higher quality are better able to resist chipping by the environment that causes cupping in cheaper tires.

Suspension on the vehicle

When you still have tire cupping even if your tires are higher quality then the possible cause is that there might be an errant suspension on the vehicle. As the vehicle rolls along, the suspension on a vehicle allows the tires to bounce. The extra action will make scuff marks on the tires, resulting in cupping.

Alignment of the vehicle

When the cupping are only on the rear, the possible cause is that there may be a problem with the alignment of the vehicle.

I'd add to that and say that improper balancing could probably cause cupping too.

You mentioned Maxxis tires on your vehicle and I would classify them in the "Inexpensive low-quality tires" section above. You also mention 500+ treadwear ratings, which are usually "touring" oriented tires, and not performance based. You can have long tread life or sticky/grippy tires.. you can't really have both.

Most performance oriented tires have around a 200 or lower tread wear. 300 seems to be the Ultra High Performance range which is a good tradeoff.. but good luck finding NSX tire sizing in those.

Let's start with this question: What do you want out of a tire? Good performance? Value? Tread life?

I swap between my stock 16/17 rims and my 17/18 set several times a year. The stock rims ride and handle so much better than the 17/18. But I like the look of the 17/18. So I run the 17/18 set on during normal driving mostly weekends or 100 mile radius. If I am going on a road trip or track day it's the 16/17 set. I only put about 5k a year on the car between both sets so they tend to be 10 years old before I have to replace them. That's why I chose the maxis they are dated 2006 and just now need replacing. They are only ok but they were cheap enough for local driving but the cupping and noise was no good.
So now I have decided I want low treadwear (200) and asymmetrical. Thinking that if I change the rotation direction it may give me an option to prevent the cupping. The alignment is in spec and the bilstein shocks have maybe 80k on them. I don't think I have a suspension problem (I could be wrong) I think it's just a cheap directional tire problem.

Buying an asymmetrical tire in order to mitigate a potential suspension issue may not be the best of strategies, especially if your tires are cupping after only 5000 miles of infrequent use. I'd try to get to the bottom of the cupping issue before you buy new tires. Buying a tire with a 200 treadwear rating is only going to accelerate the cupping issue.

Last edited:
I really don't think I have a suspension issue. The BFG 16/17 set up does not have this problem. I would think if it's a mechanical problem it would be on both sets. I believe that the maxis tire being not very good and directional caused this cupping issue.

On the way home from NSXPO I hit a stupid construction curb on the turnpike and trashed two of my prized Blitz Type 03 Wheels. Fortune smiled on me and DocJohn sold me 5 of them. The rears were wider than the ones I have been running and now I am getting three wheels restored (two backs and one front).

The question is what tires should I run in the back. We painstakingly arrived at the correct size for the wheels which is 285/35/R18. I was running Falkens which I really liked. Unfortunately they are not available in this size. My tire guy recommends Continental DWS 06 tires. What are your thoughts on these?

Thanks,

Ken

On the way home from NSXPO I hit a stupid construction curb on the turnpike and trashed two of my prized Blitz Type 03 Wheels. Fortune smiled on me and DocJohn sold me 5 of them. The rears were wider than the ones I have been running and now I am getting three wheels restored (two backs and one front).

The question is what tires should I run in the back. We painstakingly arrived at the correct size for the wheels which is 285/35/R18. I was running Falkens which I really liked. Unfortunately they are not available in this size. My tire guy recommends Continental DWS 06 tires. What are your thoughts on these?

Thanks,

Ken

That's a bummer! How wide are the rear wheels that you came up with the 285/35R18 size? You'd probably have to run a bigger tire up front (ideally matching brand/model) as well if you want to preserve the F/R ratio so ABS and TCS are still functional.

Everything was fully functional up until now. Basically I'm running the same size tires with the exception that they will be wider in the back in the last set of wheels. There have been no problems with the ABS or TCS to this point.

Not only will a 285/35R18 be wider than say a 275/35R18 (if that's what you had before), it will be also taller (all other things constant). I'd pop the sizes you want to run into Tire Rack for example, and see what choices are available, and then look up each tire's revs/mile or circumference. A 285/35R18 from manufacturer A will not necessarily be the same dimensions as a 285/35R18 from manufacturer B.

[MENTION=31515]Kenwould[/MENTION], your 285/35R18 should be fine with a 215/40R17 front tire for TCS, on a 91-93 car. That would be a 8.75% oversize rear, versus the OE 7.75% oversize (without accounting for the actual tire size, which can vary considerably as [MENTION=32138]kennyvb[/MENTION] helpfully points out). Is that the front size you run?

What Falkens were you using? I wouldn't use a Continental DWS, as that is an all-season tire (the S stands for Snow). It will not be a grippy tire at all.

those are the sizes I ran on my 96....but the the last set of tires I had were state of the art.......many moons ago....SO-3:wink:

That sounds like my fronts. I know they are 40's. The Fallon's were the Ziex ZE950s. I want an all season in the back. The Falkens were good with a lot of grip.

I definitely want an all season again and my tire guy recommends the continentals.

Back