• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

18/19 Wheels - What tires are people currently running?

I have been doing some searching on here without much luck and I haven't seen any in-depth discussion looking at posts within the last 1-2 years. I am currently running 17/18 rims, but planning on putting on a set of 18/19's (18x8, 19x9.5). I am trying to figure out what a good set of tires would be. There seems to be a lot of discussion on 16/17 and 17/18 setups and tires, but not much on 18/19 (which surprises me, since it seems that there are a lot of people running that setup). I am looking at the standard tire sizes (215/35/18 and 275/30/19) for those sized rims.

Tires would be for street use only - I don't necessarily need the absolute best max performance tire, but also don't want the cheapest. Also looking for something that is somewhat reasonable with tire wear.

Any recommendations out there? Any tires that people have been happy with? Expected mileage?

I'm running Toyo T1R in 225/35-18 and 275/30-19. I initally ran 215/35-18, but found that they were too narrow and were stretched on 8" wide wheels beyond my liking.

I'm happy with these tires, but haven't too many miles on them.

Last edited:
I'm running 225/35r18 front and 275/30r19 rear.
I have Yokohama avs but when I had discount tire flip the rear tires to even out the wear they ripped the tire on their mounting machine. All they had in stock with that tire size was the Falken 452.....and I HATE them. These tires are for the "hella flush" look(www.fatlace.com\illest) which I think is "hella stupid" because it stretches the tires and basically makes the rim look like a large diameter lowrider rim. This stretched look has no performance advantages what so ever. The car also looks like a turtle from the back.
The Yokohama's covered the rim perfectly. The wear on the Yokohama's was decent, then again, I have a -3 camber in the rear. I've heard Nexus tires(baller on a budget tires) were cheap and I believe aren't z rated so it should last pretty long.
Hope that helps.

If you don't want your front tires to rub, you'll want to get 215/35-18 front and either 265/30-19 or 275/30-19 rear.

There are a couple of reasons you hear a lot more about tires in 17"/18" sizes than 18"/19". One is that the stickiest street tires ("extreme performance" tires) are available in the 17"/18" sizes that the NSX uses, but not in the 18"/19" sizes. Another is that the performance of 17"/18" is better in all ways - handling, acceleration, etc. They're also significantly less expensive. And the 18"/19" sizes are extremely susceptible to damage from potholes.

Although there are no "extreme performance" tires available in 215/35-18 and 265/30 or 275/30-19, there is an excellent "maximum performance" tire available: the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric. Note that if you order from the Tire Rack, you need to place each size (front and rear) into your shopping cart separately; if you try looking up both front and rear sizes at the same time, it won't show you fronts and rears because they have different speed ratings (W and Y). That's not a problem for the NSX because both speed ratings are higher than the OEM tires and their Z rating.

I've been currently running the Kumho ECSTA SPT in 215/35/18 and 275/30/19. So far I love them for the street. They work pretty well in the wet too and have very good overall treadwear (rating is 320). I've gone through about 3 sets in the rear (I have the aggressive rear toe settings of the 1991) and the fronts are still fine. I just replaced the rears in about 7000 miles. . they probably would have made just over 8000 miles, but the sidewall on one of them started to show signs of cracking. If you have less aggressive toe and camber settings you should get considerably more life out of them.

ku_ecsta_spt_ci2_l.jpg

Last edited:
If you want the best in these sizes , there are only two choices .

Goodyear F1 Asymmetric (215/35/18 front 265-275/30/19 rear)

Michelin Pilot sport PS2 (only in 225/35/18 front 275-285/38/19 rear)

If you want less than the best there are a lot of choices but remember, the NSX comes with a semi-race tire from factory, so many tires are a downgrade.

Those are value oriented summer tires. A good choice for an inexpensive sport coupe, where the concern is good performance for the money, not such a good choice for a supercar like the NSX unless you are willing to degrade its performance in order to save a few bucks on tires. They will not give you anywhere near as much performance as a "maximum performance" tire like the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric, let alone an "extreme performance" tire (which you can't get in 18"/19" sizes for the NSX).

any thoughts about Continental ExtremeContact DW XL ?

From TireRack.com, your subtotal for a set of 215/35/18 front (225/35 for the Michelin) and 275/30/19 rears are the following:

Kumho SPT (Ultra High Performance - UTQG 320) - $628 set
Goodyear F1 (Max Performance - UTQG 240) - $876 set
Michelin Pilot PS2 (Max Performance - UTQG 220) - $1244 set :eek:
Bridgestone Potenza RE760 (Ultra High - UTQG 340) - $756 set

It all boils down to your priorities.
-For higher tread life and low price, then performance, go Kumho SPT
-For max performance, slightly lower tread life, and price is less concern go Goodyear F1.
-For max performance, then tread life, and price is NO concern, go Michelin PS2.

My 18/19s are aggressive in offset (for the look) and somewhat heavy, so max performance is definitely not my priority with this set.:smile:

any thoughts about Continental ExtremeContact DW XL ?
It's not available in 215/35-18, so it's not a contender for 18"/19" wheels.

From TireRack.com, your subtotal for a set of 215/35/18 front (225/35 for the Michelin) and 275/30/19 rears are the following:

Kumho SPT (Ultra High Performance - UTQG 320) - $628 set
Goodyear F1 (Max Performance - UTQG 240) - $876 set
Michelin Pilot PS2 (Max Performance - UTQG 220) - $1244 set :eek:
Bridgestone Potenza RE760 (Ultra High - UTQG 340) - $756 set

It all boils down to your priorities.
-For higher tread life and low price, then performance, go Kumho SPT
-For max performance, slightly lower tread life, and price is less concern go Goodyear F1.
-For max performance, then tread life, and price is NO concern, go Michelin PS2.
Treadwear numbers are not intended to be compared between brands. (For example, I've found that the Kumho SPT with 320 treadwear doesn't last as long as the Yokohama ES100 with 280 treadwear, on the same car with the same usage.) And from what I've found, all of these tires will last roughly the same number of miles - not as many as all-season tires (which you probably wouldn't want on an NSX anyway), but more than extreme performance tires (which aren't available in 18"/19" sizes).

Given the relative similarity in price for the non-Michelins, and the superior performance of the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric, it's pretty much a no-brainer. Get the Goodyears.

Given the relative similarity in price for the non-Michelins, and the superior performance of the Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric, it's pretty much a no-brainer. Get the Goodyears.

I wish the $250 difference in price was a no-brainer to me. :frown:

How would the treadlife on the Goodyear F1 Asymmetric compare to either the Kumho Ecsta SPT or the Bridgestone Potenza RE760. I don't want to downgrade the performance of my car, but at the same time I would like to get a reasonable number of miles out of the tires.

I don't want to downgrade the performance of my car, but at the same time I would like to get a reasonable number of miles out of the tires.

Well what tires are you using now in your 17/18 set? And how do you like them?

Well what tires are you using now in your 17/18 set? And how do you like them?

I'm running the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 tires, which aren't an option for the 18/19 setup.

I'm not expecting to get a ridiculous number of miles out of the tires, just would like to get more than 6-8,000 on the rears though. I haven't put enough miles on my current tires to really know how many miles I would be able to get out of them, but I don't have any complaints so far.

I appreciate all of the feedback - I feel like I have plenty of information to make an informed decision, now it's just time to actually make a decision:smile:

I'm running the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 tires, which aren't an option for the 18/19 setup.

I'm not expecting to get a ridiculous number of miles out of the tires, just would like to get more than 6-8,000 on the rears though. I haven't put enough miles on my current tires to really know how many miles I would be able to get out of them, but I don't have any complaints so far.

I appreciate all of the feedback - I feel like I have plenty of information to make an informed decision, now it's just time to actually make a decision:smile:

I may be wrong in doing this, but I'm going to combine information gathered from an older nsxtasy post here:
http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1030734&postcount=3
which compares the Kumho SPT to the Goodyear F1 GS-D3, as well as information from Goodyear website comparing the GS-D3 to the Asymmetric.
http://www.goodyeartires.com/cfmx/w...og&mrktarea=Performance&ms=&tires=52&tires=50

With the F1 Asymmetric you'll get slightly better dry performance, slightly less tread life, slightly worse wet performance (based on Goodyear's comparison) than the GS-D3

With the Kumho SPT, you'll get somewhat worse dry performance, about the same tread life as the GS-D3, wet performance is ?? (from what I gathered from nsxtasy's previous post). Cost will be lower than the F1 Asymmetric.

Tire rack sells the F1 Asymmetric for $778/set in 215/35/18 - 265/30/19 .

If you can't spend that on a set of tires , what are you doing driving an NSX?

Tire rack sells the F1 Asymmetric for $778/set in 215/35/18 - 265/30/19 .

If you can't spend that on a set of tires , what are you doing driving an NSX?

"Ridin' Dirty". .
but "that's okay, cuz I'm still fly!", Big Tymers - Still Fly

Last edited:
^^^ I worry you may choose "peanut butter ice cream peter pan seats" for your nsx...

Back