• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1991 blk/blk low miles, anyone know history

Does anyone know anything about this car on dupont registry?

http://www.dupontregistry.com/search/srDetails.asp?itemid=133869&sessionkey={9699BA09-61E6-4C55-A7BB-5AEBD1EBAB0B}

I have been looking for a low milage NSX for some time. However, this car has no additional features like keyless entry, cd changer, etc. NO service records are available. Can they be obtained from Acura dealers by the VIN #.

Price seems a bit high at $38,995 and they arent budging off that price by much.

Just seeking opinions or seeing if anyone knows the history of this car.

There a quite a few great NSXs out there but would i be better off getting one with more miles and known history.

can someone comment please.

DC

I know absolutely nothing about this car, but have had good luck purchasing extemely low mileage older cars if the cars have been kept in a climate controlled garage and operated on a regular basis. If the car is truly like new ( all the rubber parts are like new, the paint is like new, and it should even smell new ) there are several advantages it automatically has over a higher mileage car. The fact that it hasn't had mechanics working on it is a big one ( so don't let the lack of service records throw you - not much needs to be done in 13,000 miles - do however have a prepurchase inspection done and a CARFAX should shed some light on the history of the car ) and if you don't drive a huge number of miles it will have a higher resale value later because the mileage will still be relatively low. Maintenance costs are usually lower on these cars as well.

The price seems reasonable to me - Few things are worse in carland than buying a fixer upper because the cost of parts and service is so high that before you know it you have just as much in your fixer upper as if you had just bought a nice one - I've done it lots of times. The problem is that your fixer upper will never be as nice as a car that hasn't been through all the gyrations.

X-spdfrk said:
NO service records are available. Can they be obtained from Acura dealers by the VIN #.
Any Acura dealer can look up the services but only for recall and TSB type work. They cannot look up to see, for example, whether normal scheduled maintenance was performed, except by the specific dealer where the work was done.

X-spdfrk said:
Price seems a bit high at $38,995 and they arent budging off that price by much.
That's not an unusual price for a car with mileage this low.

Originally posted by tucsonsx
don't let the lack of service records throw you - not much needs to be done in 13,000 miles
I strongly disagree. Even for a car which is seldom driven, there are certain services that should be performed based on time, rather than mileage. Fluids deteriorate over time, and rubber parts (hoses, belts) can dry out. For example, brake fluid accumulates moisture over time, and needs to be flushed every two years, regardless of mileage, as recommended in the owner's manual. Same thing for many other services. This car is now 13 years old and any car needs maintenance during that long a period.

This is not to say that this car has not been maintained; we just don't know. But if I were buying a 13-year-old car with no maintenance history, I would be prepared to spend another $3K or so to bring it up to date (with 30K/60K/90K service, timing belt/water pump, coolant, cooling system hoses, etc).

nsxtasy,

You are, of course, correct in saying that planning to spend $3K to bring the maintenance current is the smart thing to do. I have however seen cars stored in climate controlled garages that were operated regularly for short periods that had rubber parts and fluids that were undistinguishable from new to the naked eye - maybe chemically they had deteriorated but they looked absolutely new. This seems to be true of Japanese cars more than European cars; the rubber parts on European cars seem to deteriorate much sooner.

I just purchased a 92 with 9k miles. Bought from the original owner, climate controlled garage kept. No records available. I did research a bit with the original dealer to find that a few TSB's had been performed and oil changes, etc. The car is even in snap ring range. I verified the car with Carfax report and had it visually inspected prior to purchasing. Once I took delivery, I had Bruce Pettitts fully inspect the car and he verified that everything was in new condition. I have logged 2500 miles on the car with no problems.

Price seems ok to me as well based on mileage and condition.

Paul

SO, what im hearing is that even though there is no maintenance records, given the car does have low miles and is in great condition that a price of $38,000 isnt such a bad price even if it doesnt have added features like keyless entry, cd changer, etc. That it may very well cost me another $3000 after purchase to bring the car up to service specs. Only thing the dealer can tell me is that the window accueaters (sp) have been replaced, regular oil changes and thats it. They apparently sold the car a year earlier to someone and now its back to them again but they have no maintenance records. I love the car, just tired of getting screwed buying cars. So im being very cautious this time. Thanks for all your comments.

CD Changers are very inexpensive to add. Keyless entry - my 92 didn't have it and since I don't drive it everyday, it didn't seem like that big of a deal. My window actuators were replaced as well - I found out when I pulled the panels off to put the dali window fix-it thingies in. I assumed they hadn't been done. All I'm saying is don't assume that service hasn't been completed. A car of this caliber with such low miles is most likely just like new. Bruce Pettitts (one of the best know NSX tech's in Central California) inspected mine and said it was virtually new. None of the 30.60.90 services have been completed and he said - "drive it". Also, I think you need to take into account that it has 02 wheels on it which are worth at least $2k. Just my opinion.

Paul

Have an Acura dealer tech check/ pre inspect any NSX you plan to buy. You will find it to be the best 100$ you will ever spend. Only took 45 mins. for mine. The tech knew everything about the car, and even showed me all the Dali stuff that was earlier put on it, and the other minor mods, and even could show me a few things I would have never found on my own. I fealt much better about spending the money.

Tommy:)

Back