• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1991 NSX front speaker replacement

I recently purchased a 1991 Silver NSX 5 speed. The car has 40K miles and is in mint condition other than the driver's side speaker is blown (static, cracking etc.) I called my local Acura dealer for a price quote and it is $782 and with installation around $900 total. I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and if there are any less expensive options on fixing/replacing the speaker. The dealer said they can send it back to Bose who might repair it depending upon what is wrong for around $200, however it will take 6-8 weeks?? Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Try a sound equipment repair shop. Not stereo repair, but amplifiers, speakers, etc. for PA's and bands. Many times a shop like that can diagnose and fix blown speakers. I had a set of speakers reconed in such a shop for a reasonable price and they work great.
Also, if you're at all handy, the door panel removal and speaker replacement is a pretty simple job IMO.

eek.gif
$800 for a SPEAKER!?!?!?
eek.gif
Ok now someone has to post some info about how special these speakers really are... i'm floored by reading that... $800 for ONE speaker??? WOW
eek.gif

I took the "send it to Bose route" when I had problems with mine. It did indeed take 6- 8 weeks to come back, and the post-repair quality in that speaker is poor. It just doesn't "kick" as hard and as clear as the passenger side. When I sent mine in though it wasn't for a blown speaker.... I was getting a very high pitched noise (almost alarm like. Best of luck.

The "speaker" is actually a speaker and amp combination, from what I understand. There is an outfit in Dallas, TX that does repair on these units fairly cheaply. Check the FAQ. My local dealer (Goodson Acura) uses them... my 91 has had one speaker repaired by them already.

EDR

I recently went the Daryl Willman route. My drivers door speaker went bad as per the FAQ description.

I pulled all three (doors + underfloor) speakers as they all apparently go bad around the same time, opened them up, detatched the PCB's within and couriered them to Mr Willman. Now I live in New Zealand, way down-under, and Daryl had my speaker PCB's repaired and back on my doorstep within a week.

The Sound System is now back where it should be, and the price was around US$300 + postage.

I can recommend this approach, and the door/floor disassembly was relatively straight forward.

Best regards,
Bob.

Ugly:

No high no lows must be Bose. Bose is pure crap. Dr. Bose is, however, a marketing genius. He can charge huge margins for cheaply manufactured percieved quality.

Replace the entire stereo for less than that. I have a set of Eclipse 6 1/2 in the doors, Eclipse deck, Rockford sub and amp. It sounds way better than the stock set up. This is what came in the car when I bought it.

For what its worth I used to design pro audio gear. I would recomend Boston Acoustic speakers. They have the best quality sound per buck spent. To complement the NSX with homeland Japanese electronics you can not go wrong with Nakamichi amp. Decks, I don't know. I have not followed it too closely lately.

On my deck it faces the sun and its panel is hard to read. Consider the LCD display in this regard.

Cheapest best way to go is to replace the door speakers with a set of good speakers for $200-500 /pr.

Back