• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1994 nsx

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd get a little input on this car. One of my best friends is probably selling his 1994 NSX. I always told him that if he sold it I wanted first right of refusal. So yesterday I got the call. Ironically, I was about to pull the trigger on a new M6. I know those two cars couldn't be farther apart as far a technology and power, but the NSX is probably the only car that I have always wanted and never actually owned. Per my wife, I'm only allowed to have one fun car. My daily is a 2013 550Xi, so I definitely want something that is fun to drive and enjoyable to look at. The 550 is extremely powerful and looks good, but it's a complete bore to drive.
A little about the NSX I'm looking at. It's a 1994. It has 14,000 miles on it. 2 owner car. All services are up to date, including timing belt, water pump, and thermostat changed less than 2 years ago. New Bilstein struts were also installed at that time, because my friend said even though it sat all the time, he thought they should be replaced by time. He over-maintains everything he owns just like me.
Here is what I want to know about the 94's. Do they have any known issues like I've read some people say the earlier 91 and 92's had. I swear I read something about the casting of the engine or something like that could be a problem. I'm not sure what I read that was negative, but I know I saw something to the effect of if your engine has this problem say goodbye to the motor. I can't imagine putting too many miles a year on this car, anymore than I do any fun car I've owned, so I don't want to open a can of worms with a car when I don't know what I'm getting myself into.
I do wish the car was a 3.2 with the 6-speed, but my friend bought this one because he didn't want power steering, so I'll have to deal with what it is. It's still a beautiful and historic car as far as I'm concerned.
Here's what I am planning to do if I get it, and I know everyone is going to have an opinion, but the little bit of searching I've done has probably confused me more than anything. I want to make sure any mods I do to the car can easily and safely be taken back off the car, since it's completely stock right now. One of the first things I'd like to do is lower the car. It looks like it's riding on a rancho kit. I thought about just trying to find some Comptech springs, but they have already proven to be difficult to find since the company is out of business. I read some people write that you can just lower the spring perch, but then right under that post someone else wrote the car rides awful when you do that, because there's not enough suspension travel. Anyway, input on this would be nice. I also plan on putting an exhaust on the car. Again, Comptech probably would have been my first choice, since it's not too loud. The one other thing I would like to do is put some kind of Aux adapter in. I haven't checked, but I would assume Dice makes something for the NSX. I was thinking about putting a different stereo in the car, but then I realized that would take a lot of modifications and I really don't want to do too much to it to take it away from its stock condition.
Sorry for all of the questions, but I figure if I'm going to buy an almost 20 year old car I better do some research first. Thanks guys!

-Chris

uh.... wow! 14k miles!!
from my experience and In my opinion, '94 was the best of the '91-'94 years.

I absolutely loved my '94 but sold it only because I wanted a mint '05.

This is an amazing find. The 3.2, 6spd is nice but - a '94 with all Maint. up-to-date and only 14k miles....... WOW! Can't go wrong there.

my .02

Last edited:
Wow, your post was hard to read without line breaks, especially on the new forum layout. I've quoted your post and added some line breaks to help readability.

Hey guys,

Just thought I'd get a little input on this car. One of my best friends is probably selling his 1994 NSX. I always told him that if he sold it I wanted first right of refusal. So yesterday I got the call. Ironically, I was about to pull the trigger on a new M6. I know those two cars couldn't be farther apart as far a technology and power, but the NSX is probably the only car that I have always wanted and never actually owned. Per my wife, I'm only allowed to have one fun car. My daily is a 2013 550Xi, so I definitely want something that is fun to drive and enjoyable to look at. The 550 is extremely powerful and looks good, but it's a complete bore to drive.

A little about the NSX I'm looking at. It's a 1994. It has 14,000 miles on it. 2 owner car. All services are up to date, including timing belt, water pump, and thermostat changed less than 2 years ago. New Bilstein struts were also installed at that time, because my friend said even though it sat all the time, he thought they should be replaced by time. He over-maintains everything he owns just like me.

Here is what I want to know about the 94's. Do they have any known issues like I've read some people say the earlier 91 and 92's had. I swear I read something about the casting of the engine or something like that could be a problem. I'm not sure what I read that was negative, but I know I saw something to the effect of if your engine has this problem say goodbye to the motor. I can't imagine putting too many miles a year on this car, anymore than I do any fun car I've owned, so I don't want to open a can of worms with a car when I don't know what I'm getting myself into.

I do wish the car was a 3.2 with the 6-speed, but my friend bought this one because he didn't want power steering, so I'll have to deal with what it is. It's still a beautiful and historic car as far as I'm concerned.

Here's what I am planning to do if I get it, and I know everyone is going to have an opinion, but the little bit of searching I've done has probably confused me more than anything. I want to make sure any mods I do to the car can easily and safely be taken back off the car, since it's completely stock right now. One of the first things I'd like to do is lower the car. It looks like it's riding on a rancho kit. I thought about just trying to find some Comptech springs, but they have already proven to be difficult to find since the company is out of business. I read some people write that you can just lower the spring perch, but then right under that post someone else wrote the car rides awful when you do that, because there's not enough suspension travel. Anyway, input on this would be nice. I also plan on putting an exhaust on the car. Again, Comptech probably would have been my first choice, since it's not too loud. The one other thing I would like to do is put some kind of Aux adapter in. I haven't checked, but I would assume Dice makes something for the NSX. I was thinking about putting a different stereo in the car, but then I realized that would take a lot of modifications and I really don't want to do too much to it to take it away from its stock condition.

Sorry for all of the questions, but I figure if I'm going to buy an almost 20 year old car I better do some research first. Thanks guys!

-Chris
There aren't any major problems with a 94 NSX that were fixed in the subsequent model years. The later model years primarily just added features and enhancements to the existing design. Below are some links in the Wiki that you can review for more info.

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Changes_by_Year
http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Category:Purchasing_an_NSX
http://www.nsxprime.com/w/images/a/a3/Honda_Tuning_Checklist-Final.pdf

As far as suspension is concerned, springs on a lowered perch can offer a harsh ride. KW V3s are probably your best bet, but it's not inexpensive.

I love the Comptech Gen2 exhaust on my NSX, but there are plenty of other options depending on how loud and noise friendly you want your car to be. You can find plenty of opinions via a forum search.

The most popular way to add an aux input is the USA-Spec PA11-HON, and the below thread contains the all the info you can read on that.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showt...for-your-oem-NSX-Stereo-the-condensed-version

Good luck.

Thank you guys both for the replies. And thanks for the line breaks. I was hitting return, but I don't think it quite translated the way I meant for it to.

I've had KW's and they are great, but I'm really trying not to go crazy with the suspension. However, if it's the only way to lower the car and not sacrafice ride too much, maybe I'll look into it. I saw someone on the forum was selling their Eibach Pro-Kit springs and was thinking about just buying those. Still a little bit confused if the ride is going to get bad though. Pro-Kits generally don't change the ride much from the cars I've driven.

What would you say is the closest exhaust to your Comptech that is currently out there? That's about the sound that I am looking for.

I will check on the USA-Spec. Thanks for the links.

I really appreciate the help and am looking forward to having some fun in this car if I end up doing it. Thanks again!

-Chris

you just know what youre going to hear on an NSX site!!! But a super low mileage NSX does not come along everyday. screw the power the M5 has.... the NSX get ALL the attention... everywhere... they don't make NSX's anymore

this is all my way of saying buy the NSX

1. Buy it!

2. If I were you, what I would do with the suspension is have the shocks re-mounted using the lowering perch. That's ALL you need to do. There are no downsides in doing that (other than the fact that the car is lower, so it will scrape the front air dam more, and be more difficult to get in and out of). Whoever said that the car rides awful that way is just plain wrong. Try it - if you decide you don't like it (which I can't imagine) or if you decide to lower it further or make other changes, you can still do so, and haven't lost anything other than the labor to remount the shocks. I bet you find out you're perfectly happy with it that way, with no other changes.

What would you say is the closest exhaust to your Comptech that is currently out there? That's about the sound that I am looking for.
I have not listened to too many aftermarket exhausts, particularly for evaulation, but below are a couple of links that have some comparative info on exhausts. In addition, there are lots of forum threads and youtube videos on aftermarket exhausts, but since everyone's hearing is different it is probably best to try to listen to them in person IMO.

http://www.nsxprime.com/wiki/Exhaust
http://www.scienceofspeed.com/sos_resource/FAQs/NSX/eap/exhaust_comparison/default.asp

I've had KW's and they are great, but I'm really trying not to go crazy with the suspension. However, if it's the only way to lower the car and not sacrafice ride too much, maybe I'll look into it. I saw someone on the forum was selling their Eibach Pro-Kit springs and was thinking about just buying those. Still a little bit confused if the ride is going to get bad though. Pro-Kits generally don't change the ride much from the cars I've driven.

If I were you, what I would do with the suspension is have the shocks re-mounted using the lowering perch. That's ALL you need to do. There are no downsides in doing that (other than the fact that the car is lower, so it will scrape the front air dam more, and be more difficult to get in and out of). Whoever said that the car rides awful that way is just plain wrong. Try it - if you decide you don't like it (which I can't imagine) or if you decide to lower it further or make other changes, you can still do so, and haven't lost anything other than the labor to remount the shocks. I bet you find out you're perfectly happy with it that way, with no other changes.

Below are a couple of threads with more info on suspension setups. The previous owner of my 99NSX had Eibach springs (on Bilstein shocks, I assume) installed to lower the suspension and was unhappy with the ride, so he replaced it with JIC coilovers. I would consider using the stock springs on the lower perch, but I scrape enough as it is, and Phoenix is a pretty flat city.

http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/148434-Eibach-Bilsteins-or-Stock-Blisteins-low-set
http://www.nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php/122696-A-Tale-of-Suspense(shun)

Wow Chris - assuming your friend isn't asking something outrageous for the car, I'd jump all over it. That is a really good find!! These low mileage, privately owned NSX's with proper maintenance are getting more difficult to find, and are commanding good (and steady if not increasing) prices. My guess is you could own it and drive it for years, and still get your money back. One of the reasons I came to the NSX world is because of their Honda engineering, and reliability. I got tired of the hassle, and expense that so many other sports cars and exotics seem to have. You can't go wrong with this one. Good luck and keep us posted! Jay

We haven't figured out a price yet, but he's always reasonable with his cars, and I'm always reasonable when I sell mine too so we should be able to come up with a price that works for both parties. I doubt I'll pass on it, but there is still a chance he will get cold feet and decide not to let it go. He's always loved the NSX. I've watched him sell his Ferraris and Lamborghinis like they were underwear, but the NSX has always stayed. I think it's an incredible car for what it is and would like to own something that everytime I drive it I'm not taking it into service for another costly repair.

I'm definitely going to do some research on all of the suspension bits that were linked on this post and do some research. My guess is I'll first try and just lower the car on the perch like was mentioned. That way I am still leaving it as stock as possible. If I don't like the way it rides, it would seem like coilovers are going to be the best bet. I've always been a fan of Bilstein PSS9's, but haven't seen anyone mention those so I'm guessing either they don't make them for the NSX or they must truly suck. Either way, I really appreciate all of you guys helping me out. Thanks again!

-Chris

Wow that is a great find. Buy it asap before your friend comes to his senses. As far as exhaust, my car is all stock except for the the exhaust and I changed the head lights to HID. My car has Pride V2 cat backs. I've had a lot of positive comments on the sound. But exhaust sound is a matter of taste. I listened to a lot of exhausts on Youtube and in person and for my car it was the Pride that fit my taste. It's not as loud as most at least until you stomp on it, then is sounds similar to the Ferrari 355 IMO. Plus my neighbors still like me. Good luck on the purchase.

1. Buy it!

2. If I were you, what I would do with the suspension is have the shocks re-mounted using the lowering perch. That's ALL you need to do. There are no downsides in doing that (other than the fact that the car is lower, so it will scrape the front air dam more, and be more difficult to get in and out of). Whoever said that the car rides awful that way is just plain wrong. Try it - if you decide you don't like it (which I can't imagine) or if you decide to lower it further or make other changes, you can still do so, and haven't lost anything other than the labor to remount the shocks. I bet you find out you're perfectly happy with it that way, with no other changes.

This post nailed it, I agree 100%.

Brian

This post nailed it, I agree 100%.

Brian

Agree with Brian. I have a /94 -- bought 3 years ago in AZ with 18,800 miles on the clock. Now at a bit over 39,000. No major issues in 3 years and 20,000 miles. Totally stock except for a full header to muffler system off a low mileage /04 (thanks Bylek) and Steve's (WHITENSX) HID kit. I've done a bunch of preventative maintenance and overmaintenance. The only things that have gone wrong are the following: (i) one sparkplug crapped out causing a low speed stumble (cured once plugs were replaced), (ii) clock stopped working; (iii) needed new brake master cylinder; (iv) drivers side A-pillar garnish clip broke; (v) rear hatch struts lost their mojo and needed to be replaced. That's all. About as trouble free as my 2006 Acura TL daily driver. Good luck.

Best,
Jeff

Wanted to give everybody an update. My friend and I have agreed on a price and I have agreed to purchase the vehicle. We are not going to exchange money for car until January or February of next year, since it's not like I'm going to drive the car anyway and both of our schedules are very busy this month and most of next month. However, I've already ordered a few things for the car. Steve's (Whitensxs) Xenon kit, US Spec Ipod adapter, and I just ordered the OEM Keyless entry from the Acura dealer. I know it sucks, but I want to make sure I'm not hacking the wires on this car in any way. Is there anywhere else to look, other than SOS for exhaust? I am in no rush to order one, but thought I'd start looking at every one out there.

Once I actually get the car I'll take some pictures of it and post them up. Thanks again guys and I am looking foward to being a long time member of this forum.

-Chris

I have a '93. I installed bilsteins mounted on the lower perch. It rides very well and I would not describe the ride as "harsh" in any way. The drop is roughly 5/8-3/4 inch. Going from driving the NSX to my BMW 540 and back to the NSX is like "WOW". You just don't realize how good the handling in the NSX is.

Congrats Chris! Now the tough (if not nearly impossible...) part --- waiting until Jan or Feb to get you hands on the car! It's gonna drive you nuts:smile:. Get us some pics when you can,
and welcome to NSX ownership! Jay

Thanks Jay. I really don't think I'll mind the wait too much, because once I get it I'm going to want to get everything done to it as fast as possible and the roads are already being sanded so I won't want to take it up to the dealership to have my tech work on it. I've driven it a couple of times over the years and definitely felt like it was a great car and worthy. I'm glad to be getting it and very happy to be a part of this community.

-Chris

I have a 1994 that I have had for over a decade. They, in my opinion, are the best of the early cars. Still hard tops. First year for the larger wheels and tires. Just a perfect car.

Finding a 14,000 mile car is insanely rare. Mine has over 189,700 miles of daily driving and track use and has been fantastic. I am still on my original clutch too. Buy it. You will love it. My other daily is an E63 AMG. So my power fix is made up for on that, but the NSX brings me the biggest smiles.

The m6 will continue to plummet in value because it is not a collectible. You already have a modern bimmer so why not go for a real exotic? I doubt the m6 and 5 series will feel that much different.

Congrats Chris, awesome find.
94 is the last of the coupes, except for a very few very rare later years. As well as the Zenardi's of 99 (50).
A 94 with 14,000 miles would mean an average of about 777 miles per year or less.
I would say this is a great find.
I don't believe you will be disappointed. Then again, you are on NSX Prime were we all are most likely a little biased toward the car.

Welcome to the NSX family.

Yeah, I know that I'm getting a very biased opinion on an NSX forum. I know that if I was on the M6 forum I would be getting told to buy a new M6, because that's the nature of the forums. However, I'm 100% committed to this car now and am very happy with my decision.

To Nero, the M6 and M5 drive nothing like the 550Xi I have. That's not to say the 550 isn't a good car, but it's an absolute boat with a very powerful engine. It is nice to have all of the ammenities that the car offers, but now that I've driven a friends M5 I can tell you that the two cars drive very different. The M5 gives you feeling through the steering wheel. The suspension isn't floaty like the 550. And the torque, MY GOD! Anyway, just thought I'd set the record straight. I'm still going with the NSX. :)

I may go pick up the NSX tomorrow if the weather holds. We are supposed to get snow today though, so who knows. I told my friend I am Jonesing to get the car and he said just come and get it. Hopefully the weather holds out tomorrow and there's not too much sand on the road. If I do go and get it I'll take some pictures and post them up. Thanks again guys!

-Chris

Fast or not, its just another BMW when distilled. They can soup it up and dress it up but it's just a sum of its parts. The NSX is transcendent. When distilled, its an aluminum body exotic built in its own factory from bespoke parts and assembled by hand. A car who's X factor defines it and that changed the world of super cars forever. It's not just this forum that thinks so, there are plenty of comparison threads vs other great cars, on this forum and others! Anyways, you'll see soon enough ;)

Last edited:
Back