• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1997 Acura NSX GT-2 - #11 of 11 For Sale $299,000

The most interesting thing about these photos (which I had never seen before) is the undertray. Specifically, how it slopes up before the front and rear tire area. Are they trying to slow the air down before hitting the tires? Does that act like a diffuser to create downforce?

In addition, it doesn't look like they were too concerned about closing off the engine area. Although, it looks like there is a little ramp that scoops air up towards the transmission area.

http://www.acuransxbroker.com/cars/51/1997-acura-nsx-gt-2-11-of-11-for-sale.htm

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

Last edited:
The most interesting thing about these photos (which I had never seen before) is the undertray. Specifically, how it slopes up before the front and rear tire area. Are they trying to slow the air down before hitting the tires? Does that act like a diffuser to create downforce?

In addition, it doesn't look like they were too concerned about closing off the engine area. Although, it looks like there is a little ramp that scoops air up towards the transmission area.
It acts as a diffuser to produce downforce. Many GT and Prototype cars run them.

It looks like its a flat-bottom below the engine bay to a diffuser out the back of the car.

Just copied it. Added the same to my alumilite splitter/undertray. 10" wide x 12" and slopes up at 8.5 deg.

sent from my Evo4

It acts as a diffuser to produce downforce. Many GT and Prototype cars run them.

It looks like its a flat-bottom below the engine bay to a diffuser out the back of the car.

Is the sloping up diffuser functional because of how low the car is?

On modern daily drivers, there is about 2" shield in-front of the front tire - and Jim had a post on that too; presumably this is also to remove air turbulence?

Lost one of my rubber pieces during an off track experience. The advantage of this is nothing hanging down.

sent from my Evo4

Is the sloping up diffuser functional because of how low the car is?

On modern daily drivers, there is about 2" shield in-front of the front tire - and Jim had a post on that too; presumably this is also to remove air turbulence?
The lower to the ground a diffuser is, the better. Those 'air deflectors' reduce drag in many production cars at the consequence of lift. Front diffusers reduce lift/add downforce.

Shad's set up from this thread is similar:

http://nsxprime.com/forum/showthread.php?t=134440

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

It'd be nice if somebody could make a front undertray like that one and would work on a street car. Heck, the entire undertray would be cool.

I thought the headlamp set up through the bumper was interesting. As is the ducted hood. VIS makes the Super GT hood which is as close as one can get to the Leman's hoods for a street car except: 1) It's VIS--caveat emptor; 2) it's a copy of a hood from Japan so the duct's shape for the ABS unit is on the wrong side.

It'd be nice if somebody could make a front undertray like that one and would work on a street car. Heck, the entire undertray would be cool.

I did. I have two versions. One for max downforce that has a 3" lip sides tapering to 2" on the front and one that just extends to the end of the Shine Type 1. Both made out of Alumilite. Both completely bolt on. Takes me 10 minutes to swap the "track version" to the "street version". I added in the mini diffusers in front of both wheels just like Shad's and the LeMans car. Post picks when I get home next week.

Why is the FX NSX so high then? It actually looks like its higher than OEM!
It's roughly OEM height. ~4.5" Primarily due to the extreme outer diameter of 330/650/18" tires. Half of the diameter of the tire contributes to increased ride height. With this big of a tire, there becomes clearance issues as well as suspension geometry issues when trying to lower the car back down.

Because of this and other constraints, the excessive amount of air that goes under the car feeds the double-decker rear diffuser to contribute to rear downforce.

Without these extremely large tires, a lower ride height is preferable.

that spoiler angle looks wrong.....
What spoiler? How so?

that spoiler angle looks wrong.....

What spoiler are you talking about??? If you are talking about my splitter/undertray there are no "spoilers" on it. ???

If you are referring to my diffuser ramps on my splitter they are 8.7 deg, you can't go any higher because it will not clear the a/c fans and ducting. The center part is where my alumilite "battery undertray" attaches so it has a flush transition from the splitter part to the battery undertray.

Back