• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

1997 Nsx clutch gone,Clutchmaster fx350 reviews?

Hello, I have a stock 1997 Nsx with the stock dual mass flywheel and clutch that went out , I'm planning to get an aftermarket clutch and aluminum flywheel. Anybody have any feedback on the following clutch kit?
Exedy hh04sd1
clutchmaster fx350 with CM aluminum flywheel
Science of speed (sos) sport 350

For me, the Sport 350 replaced a Spec clutch. The Spec was unpleasant, at best. It chartered, had pedal pressure that made my knee hurt, and really had no redeeming qualities that I could determine.

The SOS Sport 350 has been great. The pedal feel is very much like OEM, there is no chattering, and engagement point is also like OEM. My father recently drive the car and remarked that he thought the clutch felt better than the OEM NA2 clutch (my mom drove a NA2 for 16 years). So long as it lasts, I will be very happy.

Imo anyone replacing a clutch should install one
that is able to handle a high boost SC or a turbo
putting down roughly 400 whp. At least you or the next
buyer will be confident any future power upgrades
will not include additional clutch work. I'd say that
would be an excellent selling point.

I purchased a SOS 6 puck clutch about 3 years ago.
I don't know if they still sell it. Engagement was
very on/off the first 500 miles and fully broke in around 2k
miles. It holds my power level perfectly without slip.
I ran a few 1/4 miles runs and it bit firmly.
Engagement is still a little on/off but that's just
the nature of a 6 puck.

I think the search feature will come up with quite a few
members that like the SOS sport.

I don't like the single discs so I went with dual input shaft in my 6-speed transmission OEM all the way.

when you mess with aftermarket you risk having to return to stock when your disappointed

right now it looks like I might be going with a sos fx350 also, I think on prime most member use the sos clutch for aftermarket application. My buddy recommend clutchmaster,the fx350 is great only thing is they only offer an aluminum flywheel for it and I don't want to go aluminum.i think the reason why 1997-up come with a dual mass flywheel is to buffer out noise and stuff. I'm afraid Going with a aluminum flywheel will make noise.

I also have a 1997 6MT and I recently had a ClutchMasters FX350 clutch/flywheel combo installed in anticipation of going FI down the road. I had considered the SOS clutches, but a number of recent horror stories (along with personal recounts of guys highly respected on this forum) made me ultimately decide to go with ClutchMasters.

The only review I found of a ClutchMasters clutch for an NSX application was RYU's review, which was very favorable. However, his review was of the FX300 which is made of different material from the FX350 (FX300 = carbon/kevlar, FX350 = "Fibertuff"). Coincidentally, I have plenty of personal experience with the FX300 as I had that clutch on my old car (350whp supercharged TSX) and I absolutely loved it. The one thing to remember about the FX350 is that it's a segmented puck clutch. This style of clutch typically holds more power than a full-faced disc, but isn't as on/off as a full puck clutch. Essentially, it's designed to be a hybrid of the two styles.

For reference, I weighed all components and here is what I found:

OEM (97+)

clutch + PP = 14.0 lbs

flywheel = 30.55 lbs (!!!)

ClutchMasters FX350

clutch + PP = 15.10 lbs

flywheel = 12.35 lbs

When the clutch/flywheel was first installed, there was a bit of chatter when starting from a dead stop. However, that was to be expected when going from a dual mass to single mass flywheel (and shedding over 17 lbs in the process). I now have just over 900 miles on the clutch and most of the launch chatter is gone. Like most lightened clutch setups, you just have to give it more throttle at launch to alleviate the chatter.

Pedal pressure is just like stock, no discernible difference to me. The clutch engagement is a bit stiff but getting better with more miles. It grips really well, yet it is still fairly easy to modulate. However, I probably wouldn't recommend this clutch for people who drive their cars in stop/go traffic as I noticed some bearing noise with repeated engagement/disengagement cycles. It doesn't happen in city driving where you're driving in 15-30 second intervals, but I was stuck in one or two heavy traffic jams on the highway and that's where the whining noises started popping up. I could tell the clutch doesn't like to be slipped excessively, but since 80% of my driving revolves around backroads on the weekend this isn't an issue for me.

Regarding your concern about an aluminum flywheel making noise, I haven't noticed any. I also worried about that initially, but it really isn't an issue at all. Both at idle and driving around, the car sounds completely stock.

To summarize, I love my ClutchMasters FX350 + aluminum flywheel combo. As with any performance-oriented clutch setup, there is an adjustment period. That said, it's as close to stock as can be while providing all the benefits of higher torque capacity, reduced rotating mass (acceleration is noticeably better), and far less rev hang (much easier/quicker to revmatch my downshifts).

Last edited:
Back