• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2 piece nsx rotors for oem calipers

Those rotors are a lot bigger than the stock rotors (282 mm F, 282 mm R '91-96; 298 mm F, 303 mm R '97-04). So there are a couple of things you will want to look into when considering this upgrade: (1) Since the rotor is so much bigger, you might want to switch to a bigger caliper, to take advantage of a greater swept area; and (2) Even with the stock caliper, these may or may not fit inside your wheels, depending on what size your wheels are and the configuration of the spokes. It's highly likely that they would not fit the 15"/16" stock '91-93 wheels, and I'm not sure whether even the 16"/17" stock '94-01 wheels would work with them.

I'm not knocking them - heck, I think two-piece rotors are terrific, especially if you take your car out on the track - but these are a couple of things you will want to look into before committing to them.

I just cant see spending that much just for a bigger brake look.

WRONG! The bigger rotor is not for looks but have a direct improvement against brake fade, (bigger rotors=better heat sink).
However, I'm not sure how much heavier the bigger 2 pieces rotor is and how would it affect the handling. Other BBK would have the same problem but they usually utilize the lighter calipers to offset the difference.

Question for Ken, isn't the braking force supposed to be only related to the master cylinder and piston size?? What does the sweeping area does to braking? Better feels/ modulations? or something else??

Now I look at it more, is that 115,000 Yen for just one pair or each rotor?? this is not cheap, and it's definately a middle step Between Stock/aftermarket Oem size and BBK... IMO.
Good Find. Wondering who in the US will carry them.

NSXDreamer2 said:
I'm not sure how much heavier the bigger 2 pieces rotor
The two piece rotors I've seen are actually lighter than one-piece rotors, not heavier.

I don't know the answer to the question about the force and the swept area...

NSXDreamer2 said:
is that 115,000 Yen for just one pair or each rotor?
It looks like front kit is listed for ¥115,000 and rear is ¥105,000. So total would be about 2000 USD for the complete kit.

At that price, it seems like fabricating some custom brackets to use larger two-piece rotor (perhaps AeroRotor) might be a more cost-effective alternative.

Still, a great find! It's nice to know this option is out there.

Maybe we can all chip in to buy one set and copy it locally. Not too ethical but eventually, some guy will do it ;-)

NSXDreamer2 said:
WRONG! The bigger rotor is not for looks but have a direct improvement against brake fade, (bigger rotors=better heat sink).

I am quite aware of how bigger brakes will help, but seeing that I have driven my car less than 5000 miles in the 4 years that I have owned it, for me, they would just be for looks.

According to the new Hyper-Rev. The driver commented that the rear becomes a little unstable under heavy-braking with this brake setup. Maybe too much rear brake bias?

Did the Hyper-Rev article state what year NSX was tested? It would be interesting to know if it was 91-96 or 97+. Perhaps the setup was designed and tuned on 91-96, but Hyper-Rev tested on a 97+. If this is the case, some of the bias could be attributed to the front piston change.

bigger pads just mean it last longer. Another minidecimal advantage is it ditribute the heat to larger area.

Braking force depends on master cylinder size, piston size, rotor size (more lever arm to produce bigger torque) and leverage on the brake pedal.

Usually 2 piece rotors are lighter due to aluminum hat.

hey guys, just wanted to chime in that also this company makes 2 piece rotors and are pretty famous and known in Japan. I stumbled across is last night and with my distributor:

Project Mu

SCR-PRO.jpg

Material: CV cast iron and aluminum alloy

this is their website:

http://www.project-mu.co.jp/e/product.html

Andrie Hartanto said:
Henry,

Biot carry similar kit but with even bigger rotors. I believe theirs are 328mm. I could be wrong though.

Actually, the brake kit on border car is the biot kit. Biot also carries Brembo kit which seems similar to the grantourismo kit availabe in US.

Andrie:

Bigger looks nice, but does it mean better braking?

ak:

What else did the driver comment other than that the rear becomes a little unstable under heavy-braking with this brake setup

Henry.

nsxhk said:
Bigger looks nice, but does it mean better braking?
It depends.

Bigger rotors, and two-piece rotors, both mean better braking on a racetrack, where heat builds up. Neither one will make much difference on the street.

No brake setup can stop your car faster than your tires are capable of doing. In normal street driving, your tires are the limiting factor in braking, not the brakes. Even if you have a single sudden panic stop, it is almost impossible to get the brakes hot enough for them to fade and lose their effectiveness. So bigger brakes won't make a difference on the street.

Track driving is a different story. In track driving, you are braking constantly; you are either accelerating or braking at every point, just about the entire way around the track. This builds up a huge amount of heat. (Brakes convert mechanical energy - the momentum/inertia of your car - into heat energy, generated through friction.) Heat can cause your brakes to lose effectiveness, in several ways; pad material can lose its effectiveness (brake "fade"), the brake fluid can boil and lose its effectiveness, and rotors can develop cracks.

Larger rotors allow more heat to be stored in the rotor. Two-piece rotors allow the friction surface (the "outer ring") of the rotors to expand with heat, without a fixed attachment to the hat (the center); this reduces the chances of the rotor cracking, compared with one-piece rotors.

No brake setup can stop your car faster than your tires are capable of doing. In normal street driving, your tires are the limiting factor in braking, not the brakes. Even if you have a single sudden panic stop, it is almost impossible to get the brakes hot enough for them to fade and lose their effectiveness. So bigger brakes won't make a difference on the street.

Ken, while I totally understand and agreed what you said... Different pad material and selection would have different "bite" on the rotor? Thus the driver sense it differently, and the driver confidence is affected; I felt like everytime I panic stopped the nsx, I didn't end up hitting anything, but I wouldn't say it's stopped without drama... (To be clarify, my rotor's wear out long time ago, got the pretty deep lip on the side, I also don't know what pad I'm running since I bought it from someone who really don't care much about spirited driving.):rolleyes:

Project Mu Rotors

I just received my Project Mu rotors. They took a while to receive because SOS had to order them from Japan. I'll get them installed soon; I only ordered front rotors. I also got Hawk HPS brake pads (front and rear). I am going to order SS brake lines and some good brake fluid before I do the install.

The reason I got the 2 piece rotors is the severe brake fade that my car gets after just a short time of heavy braking. My current front left rotor warps when it warms up and the brake fluid boils. This is NOT good for track driving!

Matt...

I'll keep ya'll up to date.

Here's a guy who installed them on a MR2.
I'm well interested in this, but the price is a bit off though.

Mich

nsxhk said:
Hey cool! ak can read Japanese!! You mind translating the whole hyper rev vol.92 for us please? ;)

Sure. It says... "NSX ROCKS!" :D

The only comment on brake by the driver is that:

"When braking and pressing the brake pedal hard, the rear becomes a little nervous but the feeling of corner entry after steering is good."

He also mentions that the rear seems to get away from him due to the suspension setup, so maybe it's not the brakes.

Henry pointed us to this thread for possible development of the similar BBK (two piece rotors using stock calipers) for NSX.

RacingBrake has successfully developed several OE caliper BBK for Nissan 350Z/G35, Subaru WRX and VW. Our kits are not built just to satisfy the look; they are track proven and can outperform even some aluminum caliper BBK on the market that can cost two or three times more.

For example a BBK such as this one from Border Racing in Japan, Powerslot, Baer Brake System, Comptech, and AEM in the US; they use an adaptor piece to lengthen the OE bracket. Their kit comes with 2 larger rotors, 2 adaptor piece and 4 bolts. The adaptor is relatively easy to fabricate however we see some flaws of this set up and would not recommend it for its potential problem of brake failure.

1. The curvature of the original bracket was made to original rotor size (See Fig. 1) (Front/Rear) 282/282 (91-96) and 298/303 (97-04).

A larger rotor will interfere with the original bracket at its original location (See Fig. 2).

In order to avoid the interference, an adaptor piece is used to relocate the original bracket which will make the pad and piston hanging outside the rotor (See Fig. 3). This setup will result uneven and unbalanced braking pressure and lead to brake failure.

2. Instead of one integral piece, now the bracket is being “bridged up” with 4 bolts not only is more difficult to install but also impair the integrity of the bracket and can cause premature failure.
Our kits use one-piece extended brackets. It provides the exact operational integrity as OE in caliper function and pad alignment. (See Fig. 4)

Our OE caliper BBK are designed based on our sound engineering background and in depth knowledge of brake technology; from design, tooling, machining to testing and products release, every kit goes thorough the same process -- no shortcuts and we offer only safe and sound brakes.

Our caliper brackets are made of high strength ductile iron with our P/N’s and ID (See photo).
350z_extended_bracket.jpg

Our brake kits will come with two-piece rotors built by our patented and revolutionary mount and convergent vane designs as opposed to traditional surface center-mount design. These two-piece rotors are track proven to be 100-150F cooler than competitions. The brake performance improvement is assured under our money back guarantee. Learn more…

After you read over this illustration we hope you would get a better idea as to what you will be getting, and we would appreciate your feedback.

350Z Front OE Caliper Kit:

350Z Rear OE Caliper Kit:

Last edited:
I have the 2 piece ones from Dali, seem very good so far and I'm still bedding them in.

Back