• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2 Short Stories and a Question.

Well, I hardly every post on here, mostly I come here to keep my dream inspired. I have met a couple of really cool people from prime as well. I wanted to share a couple of non-nsx stories with yall.

First off I am in the military and was living over seas for a couple years. I had the opportunity to go to Germany for training and I jumped at it. While there I rented a car and drove up to Nürburg and drove the Nürburgring. This was a budget trip so I rented a Hyundai IX35 and took off. I was behind a Toyota GT86. The person driving must have been more nervous than I was cause I was able to keep up with them. If it had not been raining I would have considered trying to pass them as well. Well it was a great experience and reminded me a lot of driving on the roads where I grew up (southern Appalachian area). As it was a budget trip, I only did one lap and had the time of my life. Sure I wish I was in a more exotic car, could have done more laps, but none the less I am grateful to have gotten the opportunity. That was this past spring and this summer it was time for us to move. We are know on the central coast in California and are adjusting to the cost of living and the weather.

Which brings me to story number two and a question. We we arrived at our new location, the installation was advertising a future exotic car show it was hosting in conjunction with the Ferrari Club. Having a 3 small kids and a wife who does not understand the car thing, I knew my best bet to get to the show was to volunteer for it. As the event came closer, some of the owners want to have a meet and great over dinner with the volunteers. The owners drove in a day early and paid for our dinner as well. I thought it was a grand experience and really enjoyed it. Probably more so than the actual car show. I was fortunate enough to have two owners sitting at my table. Both owned 308's. One guy was older and a doctor, his wife was a doctor, his in-laws were doctors and his children were doctors and he talked about what his mechanic did to the car. The other guy was around my age (mid 30's), shaved head, long beard, and earings. He talked about how he enjoyed working on his car and how he does all of his own work. I naturally gravitated towards him and his girlfriend. When the topic of work came up, he eventually told me he was a singer. It took a few questions and dumb comments from me for him to tell me that. While he was telling me he was singer, I got the suspicion I should know him. After dinner they both showed me their cars and we talked some more. The next day at the car show there were more Ferraris, a few Lamborghini, some Lotos and a hand full of other older cars. A charity cruise nearby and another Ferrari meet kept the show from being bigger.

What does all this rambling boil down to?
1) If you ever get the chance to drive the 'Ring, do it. Even if its in a POS rental.
2) Not all exotic owners are snobbish and some of them are pretty cool.

- any thoughts on who the singer could have been?

Thanks for letting me ramble.

Well, I hardly every post on here, mostly I come here to keep my dream inspired. I have met a couple of really cool people from prime as well. I wanted to share a couple of non-nsx stories with yall.

First off I am in the military and was living over seas for a couple years. I had the opportunity to go to Germany for training and I jumped at it. While there I rented a car and drove up to Nürburg and drove the Nürburgring. This was a budget trip so I rented a Hyundai IX35 and took off. I was behind a Toyota GT86. The person driving must have been more nervous than I was cause I was able to keep up with them. If it had not been raining I would have considered trying to pass them as well. Well it was a great experience and reminded me a lot of driving on the roads where I grew up (southern Appalachian area). As it was a budget trip, I only did one lap and had the time of my life. Sure I wish I was in a more exotic car, could have done more laps, but none the less I am grateful to have gotten the opportunity. That was this past spring and this summer it was time for us to move. We are know on the central coast in California and are adjusting to the cost of living and the weather.

Which brings me to story number two and a question. We we arrived at our new location, the installation was advertising a future exotic car show it was hosting in conjunction with the Ferrari Club. Having a 3 small kids and a wife who does not understand the car thing, I knew my best bet to get to the show was to volunteer for it. As the event came closer, some of the owners want to have a meet and great over dinner with the volunteers. The owners drove in a day early and paid for our dinner as well. I thought it was a grand experience and really enjoyed it. Probably more so than the actual car show. I was fortunate enough to have two owners sitting at my table. Both owned 308's. One guy was older and a doctor, his wife was a doctor, his in-laws were doctors and his children were doctors and he talked about what his mechanic did to the car. The other guy was around my age (mid 30's), shaved head, long beard, and earings. He talked about how he enjoyed working on his car and how he does all of his own work. I naturally gravitated towards him and his girlfriend. When the topic of work came up, he eventually told me he was a singer. It took a few questions and dumb comments from me for him to tell me that. While he was telling me he was singer, I got the suspicion I should know him. After dinner they both showed me their cars and we talked some more. The next day at the car show there were more Ferraris, a few Lamborghini, some Lotos and a hand full of other older cars. A charity cruise nearby and another Ferrari meet kept the show from being bigger.

What does all this rambling boil down to?
1) If you ever get the chance to drive the 'Ring, do it. Even if its in a POS rental.
2) Not all exotic owners are snobbish and some of them are pretty cool.

- any thoughts on who the singer could have been?

Thanks for letting me ramble.

Was he Emimem?

The other guy was around my age (mid 30's), shaved head, long beard, and earings. He talked about how he enjoyed working on his car and how he does all of his own work. I naturally gravitated towards him and his girlfriend. When the topic of work came up, he eventually told me he was a singer. It took a few questions and dumb comments from me for him to tell me that. While he was telling me he was singer, I got the suspicion I should know him.

I heard that event at Vandenberg is very well received. I want to say Jackson Brown as he lives up there but he is not mid-30 nor shaved. Spill the beans....there are too many shaved, beard, ear-rings, tattoo, art-tist types out there. BTW, thank you for your service.

Did the Ring a couple years ago in a rented BMW coupe. It wasn't terribly overburdened with power which was ok since it was mid April and it rained for most of my 6 laps. It was snowing for one of the laps. Since I had never been on a track before, I was not trying to set any records. The car had paddle shifters instead of a proper stick which didn't help my cause.
I saw several accidents during my short time on the track, which made me nervous to say the least. I had no desire to hear my wife's reaction if I bent the bimmer. You pretty much have to promise the rental place your left nut if you venture off the track.
I found myself behind an S2000 on one of my laps. I saw the car in the parking lot before going out on the track. I'd hazard a guess that it wasn't the first time it was on the Ring. I managed to keep fairly close for most of the lap, so I felt somewhat happy with that.
If I ever make it there again, I will want something quicker with a stick. A dry track would be nice too!

All, I dont know who the artists was.

King, yea it was raining on my one and only lap. I turned traction control off briefly and then quickly realized there is no same in returning a rental car in one piece.

I have already warn the wife if we get station at Spangdahlem Air Base, we will live half way between the base and the track. She has accepted the fact.

I also drove a couple laps on the Nurburgring in a rental car a few years ago. I grabbed the cheapest last-minute rental from the train station in Frankfurt and just drove over. I did not know there were rental places near the track that offered sportier/tuned cars for visitors, but will use those next time instead of this:

312574_10150281530999412_7647307_n.jpg

I also drove a couple laps on the Nurburgring in a rental car a few years ago. I grabbed the cheapest last-minute rental from the train station in Frankfurt and just drove over. I did not know there were rental places near the track that offered sportier/tuned cars for visitors, but will use those next time instead of this:

312574_10150281530999412_7647307_n.jpg
I was told the regular car rental places had people at the track making sure none of their cars were being driven on the ring. If you were caught a life time ban from that rental company would be the result!

Yes, that is what I heard too so I chose a rental car company that does not exist in the United States. I've rented many cars since then, no issues.

Back