• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

20 October ALMS - Laguna Seca Update

Best Western Beach Resort is your best choice. The Hilton is an old holiday inn that hey slapped a Hilton name on. The rest I believe are on Munras and you will not get any sleep unless you stay at the Munras Lodge (not on your list).

I have lived in this area for 20 years and can provide lots of info, please PM me if you need more help.

Although there are always a number of ways to skin a cat, I thought it would be fair, and hopefully defuse future conflicts on ones order on the grid, if preference is given to the first model year and then on up to 2005.

I have been in two of these already, Sebring and Lime Rock. It would not be feasible to try to organize a grid by model year. Whatever the final number of cars is going to be, once that number is set those cars line up according to the direction of IMSA who will make sure the cars enter the track safely and in an orderly fashion. There is a relatively small window of time to get us on the track in between practice sessions, etc. and IMSA has handled it very well every time so far. Any attempt to try to do anything "fancy" like line up by model year would probably result in loss of parade lap time to the group.

A public discussion of sharing ideas and opinions is nice but I believe it is best to let Tom decide however he thinks it is appropriate to make the list for the parade lap without disclosing the details. Whichever criteria he chooses, it is going to make some happier than others and open the door for potential criticism by those less happy.

Tom has been an NSXCA officer and active member since 1999 if not earlier. He deserves the discretion. Just my $0.02.

I agree to some degree. Clearly, the decision ultimately lies w/ Tom and he deserves the discretion, but the public discussion among members is still valid.

Again, I hope the parade lap goes w/ sign up priority and not seniority in the club. Those who were waiting to be first in line for the event should be first in line for the parade lap.

Last edited:
Hello CDX_NSX

I still have not heard back from the OC group on the exact route and time for the Thursday caravan to Monterey. I'll check with them again as the event nears. PS I have radio now (Bought it from 9 doors).

I’m heading to Sonoma for the IRL and Rolex series races this weekend. If I have the time, I’ll go up Highway 1 and see how long it takes from SLO to Monterey. I recall from my college days in SLO, it takes about 2.5 hours depending on whether you’re sightseeing or racing. I’m going to cruise since during the summer there is generally a lot of traffic.

On the parade lap, I've seen this done at Laguna Seca once a couple of years for a bay area car group. The organizers had all of the cars lined in a parking area and then led them onto the track near turn 5. From what I recall, the cars were waiting in line for a long time. If the track officials still organize parade laps this way, then we might have time to get ourselves in order. If not, we will just have to go with the flow.

Regards,

Mario

Mario, The group leaving from OC on Thursday will leave OC +/- 9 AM, take 405 north to 101 north, at SLO take 101 to Paso Robles. Spend the night at Paso Robles Inn, Friday morning early take 46 west to 1, take 1 north to Monterey. Most of us are staying at the Monterey Marriott. We plan to return Sunday afternoon to OC. Hope you can make it, Gil

I agree to some degree. Clearly, the decision ultimately lies w/ Tom and he deserves the discretion, but the public discussion among members is still valid.

Again, I hope the parade lap goes w/ sign up priority and not seniority in the club. Those who were waiting to be first in line for the event should be first in line for the parade lap.

Obviously, you are enthusiastically anticipating the Laguna Seca ALMS (given your involvement in securing lodging, etc). However, IMO, members who have supported NXSCA religiously for many years should repeat the benefits. Also, not everyone can schedule time off months in advance and commit to said events, when you did. None-the -less they are just as enthusiastic as you are in attending this event. In my case, it took several weeks (3 weeks) to arrange time off and schedule substitute people to cover my on-call shifts for that weekend. My enthusiasm for attending is equal to yours – it just took longer to arrange that weekend.

Obviously, you are enthusiastically anticipating the Laguna Seca ALMS (given your involvement in securing lodging, etc). However, IMO, members who have supported NXSCA religiously for many years should repeat the benefits. Also, not everyone can schedule time off months in advance and commit to said events, when you did. None-the -less they are just as enthusiastic as you are in attending this event. In my case, it took several weeks (3 weeks) to arrange time off and schedule substitute people to cover my on-call shifts for that weekend. My enthusiasm for attending is equal to yours – it just took longer to arrange that weekend.

I see your point. Perhaps my use of "enthusiasm" may have been wrong as one can be just as enthusiastic, just not as ready.

Still, I feel using seniority for priority in selection when we are a volunteer non-profit organization gathered around a car isn't a good idea. Use seniority for union-represented organizations or even government organizations, not for a car club.

I feel for Tom. He has been presented w/ information that wasn't available at sign up and now has to make a decision that will make some happy and others not so happy. Hopefully ALMS can give us more cars for the parade lap. :smile:

Quick question. Does Laguna Seca require helmets on the parade lap? I'm guessin no. Also, what is the total to take part in all the festivities? I am not an NSXCA member (yet:))

Quick question. Does Laguna Seca require helmets on the parade lap? I'm guessin no. Also, what is the total to take part in all the festivities? I am not an NSXCA member (yet:))

No helmet is required. The total cost is $120 representing $80 for the ticket to the race plus $40 for NSXCA dues.

Thanks, and whatever Tom comes up with is fine with me. Hopefully everyone does the parade lap, that's the best outcome. Think about it > 100 NSX's on LS.

Tom - anything we can do to help???

I see your point. Perhaps my use of "enthusiasm" may have been wrong as one can be just as enthusiastic, just not as ready.

Still, I feel using seniority for priority in selection when we are a volunteer non-profit organization gathered around a car isn't a good idea. Use seniority for union-represented organizations or even government organizations, not for a car club.

I feel for Tom. He has been presented w/ information that wasn't available at sign up and now has to make a decision that will make some happy and others not so happy. Hopefully ALMS can give us more cars for the parade lap. :smile:

We are still at 104 cars and well over 200 people for this event. I was hoping that we would get at least another 20 by now to put more pressure on Laguna Seca to up the parade lap numbers. For those that are anxiously waiting to find out about the parade lap, nothing is happening this week because the track is tied up with the historics. Once they recover from that discussion will start again.

If you are thinking about signing up, or you know someone else that might be interested, get the orders in. The more cars we have signed up, the more likely we can get the parade lap numbers up.

Once I know what the final number is, I will start to work the parade lap participation and other details needed for credentials.

Tom

A few questions about the event. What is the schedule in terms of hours/days and when is the lap scheduled? Is this a single day affair? If I have a general access pass from a friend the cost is still the same as if I had no pass to park in the corral - correct?

Thank you in advance.

A few questions about the event. What is the schedule in terms of hours/days and when is the lap scheduled? Is this a single day affair? If I have a general access pass from a friend the cost is still the same as if I had no pass to park in the corral - correct?

Thank you in advance.
The Laguna Seca officials have not set any detailed schedules yet. I do not anticipate we will know much more before the 1st of October. The Hospitatlity tent and the reserved corral parking will be in place on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. On Sunday the tent will not have any "favors," meaning it will be standing, but empty. The main Acura events will all be on Saturday and I am assumiong that the parade lap will be on Saturday as well.

The general access pass will not allow you into the hospitality tent with the food and drinks, you will not receive the Acura gift bag, you are not eligable for the guided paddock walking tours, you will not be in the drawing for pit passes and hot pit crew position, and you can not participate in the parade lap. The only way you can get all of that is to pay the $80.

The general passes also put you into the general parking across town somewhere unless you by the preium parking permit for an extra $25.

tk

If you are still looking to book a room, The Hilton Garden Inn has some rooms available now. I saw some rooms available for Thursday check in. Not sure if they have rooms available for Friday check in. Call the hotel direct:

Hilton Garden Inn Monterey
1000 Aguajito Road, Monterey, California, USA 93940
Tel: +1-831-373-6141 Fax: +1-831-655-8608

http://hiltongardeninn.hilton.com/en/gi/hotels/index.jhtml?ctyhocn=MRYMHGI

Just a reminder that the registration for the October 20th Acura/ALMS event will close on Monday. I need to get final numbers to the organizers and Acura. If you are thinking about attending, you need to make a decision now!

After Monday, I will no longer be able to offer refunds for people that drop as we will be sending the money into Laguna Seca to purchase the tickets. I will keep a list of anyone that expresses interest in attending after Monday so if someone does need to back out, we can resell their tickets.

If for some reason you can not commit by Monday but are still interested, PM me right away.

Tom Kohrs
NW Region Rep
NSXCA

Just a reminder that the registration for the October 20th Acura/ALMS event will close on Monday. I need to get final numbers to the organizers and Acura. If you are thinking about attending, you need to make a decision now!

After Monday, I will no longer be able to offer refunds for people that drop as we will be sending the money into Laguna Seca to purchase the tickets. I will keep a list of anyone that expresses interest in attending after Monday so if someone does need to back out, we can resell their tickets.

If for some reason you can not commit by Monday but are still interested, PM me right away.

Tom Kohrs
NW Region Rep
NSXCA

Tom
Any info on the number of cars allowed in the parade lap?

Per another members suggestion see thread below:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93074

A few of us who are more interested in socializing then the race event are meeting at the Pebble Beach Tap Room for dinner or drinks. Please reply to that thread if you wish to join us there.

Hey Tom, so I just got the email. Now I'm attending in my 93 with 1 guest. HOWEVER, the guest I WAS going to bring is now an evil ex girlfriend. So I have no clue who I'm going to bring at this point. Is my guest name REALLY required, because it could end up being anyone by race day.......

I have sent out a email to everyone that has signed up for the ALMS event in October. The mail requests some specifics about the attendees and their guests. I need the responses back by Wednesday 9/19 so I can supply the information to the organizers. If you do not reply by then, you may not get fed.

Tom Kohrs
NW Regional Rep.
NSXCA

My mail merge has been acting up so some of you may not have received the message until this afternoon. A about 10 of you may have gotten it twice. I have double checked everything and I am pretty sure everyone should have the email now.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Tom

Maybe I haven't read thoroughly through all the posts and emails BUT..... where can I find the 3 day itinerary? (where is the spellcheck??? I can't seem to spell today, did I spell itinerary correct?)

Back