• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2002+ HID Ballast

I think I need a new HID ballast module. My driver side headlight is out. I swapped the left and right bulbs, but the driver side headlight is still out. I also checked to make sure that the connector into the ballast module is delivering 12V.

Before I head on down to the Aura parts deprtment, Does anyone know how much this part goes for? Mine has a part number X6T02981 and says Mitsubishi on it. If these are outrageously expensive, does anyone know of an aftermarket replacement that fits the OEM mounting holes and connectors? Is this part used on any other car makes? Thanks.

OEM ballast is about $180 (33119-S6M-003) each.

Thanks for the replies. I went to the Acura dealer and it was $237 with tax and getting it here tomorrow. Not too bad for an essential part I guess. I'll connect it and I'll let you know if it works.

$180 was the average online price.

The new ballast worked just like it's supposed to.

After taking out the bad driver side ballast I noticed some corrosion on the connectors and in the area that's supposed to be sealed inside the headlight. The passenger side ballast dosn't have any corrosion in that area. I cleaned the contacts and hooked it up again, but still nothing. When I put in the new ballast I used a lot of silicone sealant between the headlight case and the OEM foam sealing ring on the ballast, just in case.

Well, after driving for a week, I have the same symptoms. The same driver-side headlight is out. Fuses are good. The headlight connector sees 12V, and if I swap light bulbs, the driver side is still out. I sure hope I didn't get a bad ballast module.

I'm in San Diego, so I'll post something in the SoCal forum for an electrical gremlin finder.

Back