• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2003 996TT Or 03 NSX/w comptech SC

I don't want to start a flame war but I love my 1991 NSX and have had it for about 5 years now with 0 problems. What do you think would be a better car that I could drive everyday a 2003 NSX with the Comptech SC or a 996 TT? I was looking at the GT2 but don't think the 50-60k is worth it. Is there any other car that will not draw too much attention for a daily driver that will be as good as the NSX?

Thanks
Ryan

To me, the most compelling alternative to the NSX is the 911 so that's a really tough scenario you've proposed there! My heart would tell me the 03 SC NSX, but I gotta go with the 911TT. It's *really* hard to beat the 911TT as an overall package. The only real problem with it is the extremely high MSRP.

As much as I like my NSX, I wouldn't make it a daily driver just because it not a practical car. A Porsche 911TT will definitely not draw much attention. Most folks who seem them can't tell the difference between that and a C2.

I would check out the Maserati GT as daily driver. Its even got a 4yr/50k mile warranty. Its pretty cheap. You can probably get one at sticker at around 91k.

If you really want to be anonymous, then how about a BMW M5 or the new 460hp(?) Mercedes E55 AMG.

I would say the 911TT would be easier to drive around town and also not get near the attention of the NSX. Only a true car nut would be able to tell it is a TT. Most people would probably just think it is a boxster
smile.gif

As far as performance, even with a SC, the P car will be faster. Sad, but true
frown.gif

Personally I would go with the NSX because of its exoitc looks, seating position and great engine note..

Good luck!

I will have to look a little more, the BMW M5 looks pretty nice but I don't like the M5 that much and the MB quality seems to be going down hill, they are making the MB like the Viper big motor crap parts I guess that's part of the merger.

Originally posted by NetViper:
I would say the 911TT would be easier to drive around town and also not get near the attention of the NSX. Only a true car nut would be able to tell it is a TT. Most people would probably just think it is a boxster
smile.gif

As far as performance, even with a SC, the P car will be faster. Sad, but true
frown.gif

Personally I would go with the NSX because of its exoitc looks, seating position and great engine note..

Good luck!

"Look like a Boxster" Hahahahahahahahaha.

It's funny but I (was one of the first to ?) remark, when the Boxster first came out how you couldn't distinguish from the front a 911 from a Boxster and wasn't THAT a fine thing for the 911 driver ?

You say the TT would be easier to drive around town than the NSX ? How so ?

I've been in contact with another (former) NSX owner from this site that has the TT and he says "Get the TT. No question".

The only question in my mind is that for $72K I can get a brand new '02 NSX and it would cost me minimum $85K (and most are still asking at least $95K) for a used '01 TT.

As for attention getting and exclusivity, NSX reigns (in a heartbeat). No question.

Ryan,

Where ya going with M5 and M-B ?

Your original question was TT vs NSX. What exactly are you looking for here ?

I agree with NSX-GUY. You need to define what you're looking for. What's important to you - performance or conspicuousness? Sports car or luxury car?

Are you looking for a car which is inconspicuous and has decent performance? If so, the M5 and the Benz both fit. So does the Z8. None of these luxury cars posts four second zero to sixty times like the 911TT though; they range from mid fours (Z8) to very high fours (M5, Benz).

Are you looking for a car which has performance numbers as good as the 911TT and NSX-SC but is inconspicuous? If so, about your only choice is the Corvette Z06. Anything else in that performance category (NSX-SC, 911TT, Viper, Ferrari, Lambo) will attract lots of attention.

[This message has been edited by nsxtasy (edited 30 December 2002).]

Originally posted by nsxtasy:
I agree with NSX-GUY. You need to define what you're looking for. What's important to you - performance or conspicuousness? Sports car or luxury car?

Performance or conspicousness, both will turn heads. Is it $'s and/or value were talking about ?

FYI- the next 911 is getting re-skinned so you can tell the difference between the Boxter and current model. They are going back to the 993 look, even the round headlights will be back. Current 911 owners were not happy about sharing looks. No info on the engine yet.

Sedan, new AMG E series Benz with current styling. Wouldn't do an M5 b/c its older looks unless you want to wait on the next model AKA 7 series looks
eek.gif

911 GT3, no question.

The 996 TT is a fab car, but I suspect that most NSX owners would rank "lightweight" over "brutal acceleration" in terms of their overall sportscar priorities. That's why we're all not driving hopped up Supras.
smile.gif

Well I have owned both. I had a 99 Monte Carlo Blue (or as my finacee calls its Bling Bling Blue!) NSX-T and I replaced it with a 2001 Silver 996 TT. Each was/is a daily driver.

NSX T

Pros: Shift Quality, Great Clutch, Build Quality, Front Visibility, Throttle Response, Very Nimble, Utterly Reliable, Gas Mileage, Interior Layout - Simple, But Effective, Engine...nothing like that redline!, Great Dealers, Looks, Price, Driver Feedback.

Con's: Braking, Ride Quality, Chassis Stiffness On The T's, Tire Wear And Alignments, Fragile Paint, Weak Acceleration, Poor Rear Visibilily Due To B pillars, Wet Weather Traction, High Speed Stability at 130 mph +, Insurance Costs.

996 TT

Pros: Unbelievable Acceleration...its as fast from 60-120 mph as it is from 0-60 mph, Amazing Grip, Unbeliveable Braking, Ride Quality, Chassis Stiffness, Tire Wear, All Round Visibility, Paint, High Speed Stability, More Interior Room, More Gadgets like Nav etc.

Cons: Price, Build Quality..a few weird gaps in the dash, Cheap Interior Materials, High Oil Consumption, Stiff Shifter, Slight Turbo Lag, Gas Mileage is 11-12mph, Really Awful Dealers, Looks Like A Boxster On Steroids.

Friends often ask me which I like better and I answer them this way. The NSX is a foil (fencing) and the 996 TT is a sledgehammer. I liked them both A LOT, however ultimately I prefer the 996 TT. However you will be happy with either, that I can promise you. I would pick the NSX over a regular 996.

One last thing, my NSX T got a LOT more looks than my 996 TT does....if that's important to you.

Here's a link with pictures of both.
www.nsxprime.com/ubb/Forum16/HTML/000379.html

[This message has been edited by kinnsella (edited 05 January 2003).]

Back