• Protip: Profile posts are public! Use Conversations to message other members privately. Everyone can see the content of a profile post.

2012 CRV vs 2008 RDX

Looking for a vehicle my wife and i will share. My wife likes the new CRV but we drove a low mileage RDX for the same money that started my wheels rolling. While i do not like turbo's all that much, the RDX is really fun to drive and has to be considered even though the 21 mpg really sucks compared to 29. The CRV is pretty much a known commodity and we have driven several. Great job with gearing to make them surprisingly peppy. But the Luxury of the RDX is compelling. If it wasn't a Honda, i would never even think about a 2.4L pulling around 2 tons.

FWI we did see the new 2013 CRV. While this is going to be a fantastic vehicle, it is getting large and we already own a van, and it's over the present budget.

Looked at BMW X3's and Infinity EX35's, but they are both off the table. Any comments on the two home brands? TIA

Gas probably isn't a major factor, it's somewhat priced in. What I mean is the CRV is probably $1,000 higher and the RDX $1,000 lower than if gas prices were unusually cheap. This suggests if you are keeping the car 5 years or less, gas prices shouldn't be too big of a concern (the $2,000 difference is a big chunk of the 8mpg variance over ~50,000 miles). If you think gas prices are going through the roof, you are not too wise to buy any vehicle that fails to get 30mpg on the highway (and should probably buy oil futures instead).

If you really enjoy the RDX more, I'd get it. We are not talking an 8 year old benz SUV - odds are you won't have too many issues on the Acura for a long time.

Last edited:
Why not buy a 2008 CRV?

My sister has the RDX and HATES it. The thing might get 17 mpg on a good tank, and that's on PREMIUM fuel.

I get about 19 mpg on my RDX. When we drove it cross country during our move, I got 25-27 depending on the gas at a cruise setting of 72 mph. I absolutely love it, but my only complaint is the transmission shift logic sucks. Honda clearly set it up to maximize fuel economy, so it holds you in higher gear and many times you are out of the boost when you need to acccelerate. The varibale flow turbo helps, but there is still lag from 1000 to 2500 rpm. Not a good car to "scoot" from a stop. At speed though it rips. Overall the car is extremely functional and the luxury is nice. Ride is stiff due to the sport suspension. We shopped the BMW X3 and both of us liked the RDX better. My wife also liked the CRV but thought it was "gutless." Her favorite part of the RDX is the turbo. :D

Why not buy a 2008 CRV?

A low mileage 2008/2009 CRV only goes for about 3500-4000 less than a brand new vehicle, even before gas went up. The resale values are simply ridiculous IMO. It's a tall 4 year old civic for gods sake. At first we thought we liked the old model better for styling and interior as the dash on the new model is kind of in your face, but after driving a half dozen old and new crv's the new model does seem to handle a bit better, is a bit more responsive, and certainly rides better with less suspension noise. It almost feels like a vehicle that is worth mid 20's, he he. Still only incremental and no where near the RDX but an excellent dash around town car. But bottom line, 20k for an old crv or 24k for an improved new one(base model), with better mileage to boot. I hate the colors honda uses now. Both the green and the brown(urban titanium) flip flop and look downright washed out in some light. The silver is too light with almost no flake, and the dark gray is too dark and also with little flake. Oh for the good old days when you could order from a bunch of GOOD colors and get any interior with any exterior. Thanks guys. Gonna get the wife in the RDX again and cross my fingers. Recently retired and can't yet tell whether i'm rich or poor, thus the vasilating mileage thing. Don't want to spend gas money that could go to an engine build for the X.

Financially, you're better off with the RDX, because the most severe depreciation of the RDX has already happened. The CRX will lose 20% of its value as soon as you drive it off the lot.

This is why I have really never bought brand new cars, except for a recent purchase that I intend to keep for over 10 years to help level out the depreciation.

If you really like the RDX more, I say get that.

Last edited:
Buy the CRV because it is new, better mileage, new car warrantee, and you're not buying someone else's problem.

We just bought a new CR-V 7 months back. We drove our last CR-V for 10 years with 160,000 miles with zero hicups. While it may not have the luxury of the RDX it has proven to be probably the best vehicle I've ever owned.

My girlfriend has had a 2000"?" crv since new and has been problem free other than some weird full lock steering squeal that I heard was normal and a cracked radiator and I think it has around 140,000 miles.

She now has a brand new 2011 crv and it's great.

I've driven both extensively and I have to say the new one is quite nice.

Buy the CRV because it is new, better mileage, new car warrantee, and you're not buying someone else's problem.

New vehicles can have problems too.

If a car has been reliable the first 3 years, and well taken care of, it will generally be reliable for the next 5 years as well.

New car depreciation can eat you alive. That is a very steep cost for that "brand new peace of mind".

I prefer to buy a used, well cared for vehicle, have it mechanically inspected by a good mechanic, and use the money I saved from the depreciation, to pay for any repairs that come (rarely), and put it in my bank account.

I'd rather have a new CR-V than a used RDX. Better gas mileage, and in California, the gas price difference is 20 cents/gallon between regular and premium. Sticking with Honda is good. My 2011 Accord Crosstour is my 8th Honda. Had a 2008 RAV4 (V6, Limited, 4wd, leather) and bought the Crosstour, sold the RAV4, as soon as I found out the Crosstour had a V6. Love my Crosstour. I'm happy to own one car that doesn't take premium. But that's just me.

The CRX will lose 20% of its value as soon as you drive it off the lot.

This is why I have really never bought brand new cars, except for a recent purchase that I intend to keep for over 10 years to help level out the depreciation.

While is was expecting the depreciation numbers you stated, in my area it's more like 5%. Trade ins must be a cash cow for dealers. It's a bit higher on the EX-L's, but on the base LX models, 2011 and 2010 models are priced within a grand of the new model. Thats been the frustration. I do live in Columbus Ohio, a very Honda friendly town. You can't go three miles without seeing 6 crv's here. Obviously a crv is a much more cost effective transportation solution. Will drive more and ponder. Thanks guys.

We have a 2009 RDX since new (wife's DD)I love to borrow it but if your considering it for gas savings it only used premium take that into account

The comments above about the CR-V are correct. There's such a demand, that prices on used ones are very high, and it doesn't drop much in value when you buy one new. Which means you're better off buying new, not used.

When we were shopping for an older used SUV a year ago, we noticed that prices for an MDX were only about 15 percent higher (a couple grand) than for a comparable vintage CR-V, even though the MDX costs almost double when new. We could use the extra room, so we went for the MDX, despite the worse fuel economy.

The comments above about the CR-V are correct. There's such a demand, that prices on used ones are very high, and it doesn't drop much in value when you buy one new. Which means you're better off buying new, not used.

That's pretty much what happened back in '07 when I got my Honda Fit to replace my Integra as a DD commuter car. Gas prices and demand kept prices high. So new vs. used price differences were pretty slim so I just bought it new. I would go with the CRV just to stay away from the premium gas that the RDX uses. :cool:

Back